• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nicolas Cage collection

59 posts in this topic

While we are on the subject of celebrity "pedigree" labels, I know of only one other celeb whose collection is noted on CGC slabs, Rueben Blades. Are there others, or are his and Cage's the only ones that are noted on the slab?

I can't think of another. Don and Maggie and Don Rosa have "collection" on the label, but they are counted as pedigrees -- and I guess they are only "celebrities" within the hobby. :D

Carl Barks's own copies of his books have a notation on the label.

The Don & Maggie and Don Rosa collections are treated as collections, not pedigrees.

They are on the CGC list here: CGC recognized pedigrees

...yup, Don and Maggie is about as pedigree as it can get. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Pretty sure he LOST the lawsuit against his manager ( who is a friend of mine)

the issue was somehow related to perhaps not preventing him from buying real estate such as a castle.

How can a business manager prevent a client from foolishly spending his own money.

The costs of the lawsuit did eventually force the manager to merge his practice with another firm

I can see some people being interested in owning a previously owned item by a celebrity but considering the price tag on these items I can't see that translating into too many extra dollars for the item.

Nic Cage was notoriously very bad with his money. Perhaps still is.

Thanks for the replies guys. It looks like that it doesn't add (at least for the majority of the collectors) a value but its (for many collectors at least) an extra cool factor. Personally I like having a clue about the story behind a copy, especially when the name includes a famous person.

Its an interesting subject however. In sports cards, the legendary Honus Wagner card owned by Wayne Gretzky drew a huge premium among else just because of the fact that it was owned by the hockey legend (even though it was later discovered and admitted that the card was trimmed!).

Did the fact that Gretzky owned it really increase its price? I think it was the best known copy of the most famous baseball card in existence, and that's what has driven its price. Gretzky's ownership brought it some publicity, particularly when he sold it, but I doubt baseball card collectors pay more for it because he owned it just like I doubt comic collectors pay more for a comic because Nic Cage owned it.

When I bought the Planet Comics 6 I did so because I liked the copy and it was one of the nicest copies of #6 I had seen for sale. Nic Cage's name on the label had no bearing in the price, so no it didn't make a difference to me.

Pretty sure he LOST the lawsuit against his manager ( who is a friend of mine)

the issue was somehow related to perhaps not preventing him from buying real estate such as a castle.

How can a business manager prevent a client from foolishly spending his own money.

The costs of the lawsuit did eventually force the manager to merge his practice with another firm

There were several issues happening simultaneously.

He owed the IRS multiple millions of dollars, and yes cage tried to sue his business manager over mishandling his finances.

Spending money on a dinosaur skeleton for the entry to a property you own? Notoriously bad use of one's own money.

While we are on the subject of celebrity "pedigree" labels, I know of only one other celeb whose collection is noted on CGC slabs, Rueben Blades. Are there others, or are his and Cage's the only ones that are noted on the slab?

I can't think of another. Don and Maggie and Don Rosa have "collection" on the label, but they are counted as pedigrees -- and I guess they are only "celebrities" within the hobby. :D

The Don & Maggie and Don Rosa collections are treated as collections, not pedigrees.

They are on the list because they are noted on the label. However, they are noted as a collection on both this list and the label. The reason is the books are primarily not OO, they are not books bought off the stands by these individuals. It seems Don Rosa gets a minimal premium while the Don and Maggie get a full pedigree premium. That's probably because the books are so nice. Don and Maggie had the best copies available.

They are on the list because they are noted on the label. However, they are noted as a collection on both this list and the label. The reason is the books are primarily not OO, they are not books bought off the stands by these individuals. It seems Don Rosa gets a minimal premium while the Don and Maggie get a full pedigree premium. That's probably because the books are so nice. Don and Maggie had the best copies available.

.... most of the Don and Maggie's are OO....... the use of the word "collection" is just part of the name of the Pedigree. They started buying and saving nice copies in the late 50's if I recall..... certainly by the early 60's. GA books were acquired second hand..... and if my memory serves (which it sometimes doesn't...) there were books from their hoard that sold at HA that did not have the Ped notation due to this.... GOD BLESS...

If I can dig up the catalog I'll try to provide some specifics later....

.... most of the Don and Maggie's are OO....... the use of the word "collection" is just part of the name of the Pedigree. They started buying and saving nice copies in the late 50's if I recall..... certainly by the early 60's. GA books were acquired second hand..... and if my memory serves (which it sometimes doesn't...) there were books from their hoard that sold at HA that did not have the Ped notation due to this.... GOD BLESS...

You are correct, Jimbo. BB is wrong on this one. I think all, or nearly of the D&M Silver Age books were OO. Here's Borock from the original Heritage writeup:

"Don and Maggie Thompson were already adults when Fantastic Four #1 came out in 1961, and since comics were their great passion they purchased all of them and handled every new comic with great care," said Steve Borock, Senior Consignment Director at Heritage Auctions. "Their comic collection is truly one-of-a kind and is well deserving of a pedigree. It's rare to see such a fresh collection come to market and we are honored to be entrusted with it."

Same with Rosa. I believe all of his books were bought off the stands.

You are correct, Jimbo. BB is wrong on this one. I think all, or nearly of the D&M Silver Age books were OO. Here's Borock from the original Heritage writeup:

"Don and Maggie Thompson were already adults when Fantastic Four #1 came out in 1961, and since comics were their great passion they purchased all of them and handled every new comic with great care," said Steve Borock, Senior Consignment Director at Heritage Auctions. "Their comic collection is truly one-of-a kind and is well deserving of a pedigree. It's rare to see such a fresh collection come to market and we are honored to be entrusted with it."

Same with Rosa. I believe all of his books were bought off the stands.

It can also be googled for additional info as well. I seem to remember Maggie's first comic was an early issue of Mad..... # 9 I think..... which she still had. When she and Don married they combined their collections and just kept on going. The reason it was named as a collection was due to their (and Rosa's) notoriety in Fandom. It just wouldn't do to name them the "Chicken Koop Goldmine" or "The Dancing Banana Pedigree".......... GOD BLESS...

Just as a follow up: There is no way that CGC would have designated either D&M or Rosa as pedigrees if they had been primarily made up of books that had been collected rather than bought off the stands. There are a lot of great collections out there, but none of them will ever receive the pedigree designation from CGC. While some of the Church books were bought second-hand, they are a minuscule proportion of the books in that collection.

One thing about Rosa that intrigues me (I've raised this point before): Those of us old enough to remember his column in the old RBCC will recall that he was critical of people who cared about condition. Several times he wrote along the lines of: "Comics are meant to be read. Don't be afraid of damaging them. If you pop a staple or cause a tear, just use tape to fix it. They are your books, enjoy them."

At the same time -- or maybe slightly later -- he was buying the best copies he could find off the stands and carefully preserving them. I was very surprised when his collection surfaced, given what his position had been earlier. Of course, perhaps he changed his mind at some point about the importance of condition. Nothing the matter with that! :D

I found an old quote from Steve Wyatt on the Don Rosa and it is mostly OO.

Regarding the Don Rosa Collection Pedigree, were all these books bought by Rosa "off the rack" firsthand or were they bought on the secondary market?

ANSWER: Off the rack. All the books from 1966 to the late 1980's were purchased by Don firsthand, everything. He is the original owner.

Marketing. "From the Collection of Nicolas Cage" - big freakin' deal.

It would be if it was the Nicolas Cage copy of Detective Comics #27 Action Comics 1 :gossip:

Don't think he owned a Tec 27

He actually did. One that was stolen along with his Action Comics 1.

I believe there were also rumors that there was a third book that was also apparently stolen at the same time. (shrug)

Not sure why nobody has named this apparent third book, but probably part of the police investigation that they hold back on some details in a criminal investigation in the hopes of identifying the perpetrator later on. hm

One thing about Rosa that intrigues me (I've raised this point before): Those of us old enough to remember his column in the old RBCC will recall that he was critical of people who cared about condition. Several times he wrote along the lines of: "Comics are meant to be read. Don't be afraid of damaging them. If you pop a staple or cause a tear, just use tape to fix it. They are your books, enjoy them."

At the same time -- or maybe slightly later -- he was buying the best copies he could find off the stands and carefully preserving them. I was very surprised when his collection surfaced, given what his position had been earlier. Of course, perhaps he changed his mind at some point about the importance of condition. :D

No, Don Rosa was no dummy and knew from the get go that condition would be of primary importance in the valuation of older collectible comic books. He also knew that if there was a higher number of mint condition books out there, the subsequent values of these uber HG books would be rather limited.

As such, being the sly and ahead of the times person that he was, it was in his own best interest to encourage collectors to read, damage, and tape up their books in order to increase the value of the books in his own personal collection. ;)lol

I found an old quote from Steve Wyatt on the Don Rosa and it is mostly OO.

Regarding the Don Rosa Collection Pedigree, were all these books bought by Rosa "off the rack" firsthand or were they bought on the secondary market?

ANSWER: Off the rack. All the books from 1966 to the late 1980's were purchased by Don firsthand, everything. He is the original owner.

+1 he took very good care of his books. Had hundreds graded at 9.6 and above. Great preservation.

Marketing. "From the Collection of Nicolas Cage" - big freakin' deal.

It would be if it was the Nicolas Cage copy of Detective Comics #27 Action Comics 1 :gossip:

Don't think he owned a Tec 27

He actually did. One that was stolen along with his Action Comics 1.

I believe there were also rumors that there was a third book that was also apparently stolen at the same time. (shrug)

Not sure why nobody has named this apparent third book, but probably part of the police investigation that they hold back on some details in a criminal investigation in the hopes of identifying the perpetrator later on. hm

The book was named, but it wasn't an important book. It was a random Marvel Mystery that was worth almost nothing compared to the other two books. The thieves stole the three books that Cage happened to have on display in security frames at the time.

Edited to add: I own one Nic Cage book, and his prior ownership of it had no effect on my max bid.

On 10/15/2016 at 8:13 AM, electricprune said:

There is an X-Men #1 with Janis Ian's name on the label, "From The Collection of Janis Ian". It's the only book I've seen from her collection though.

She learned the truth at seventeen, that power comes from mutant genes...