• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canada Customs

83 posts in this topic

Anything over $400 for me has been charged, almost guaranteed.

They used to let a lot slide but federal government agencies around the world have been scrambling to increase revenue since the housing crisis of 2007 by dotting their I's and crossing their T's so I'd expect most packages above the minimum ($60 I think?) to get dinged from now on. I routinely have to pay on $100 packages now.

Vancouver customs is behind by like 4 weeks right now. Its been taking months for my items to get to me from China/HongKong/Taiwan. Really annoying. On top of this in part is because they are ripping apart every single package to get customs fees and really nailing down on that since all the other that happened this year and trying to make up money so getting stuff thru customs is really hard to do now as well.

They only rip apart packages if they are pulled for secondary inspection to verify contents.

If it's just customs fee assessment, they are done very quickly (within an hour or two, usually).

Vancouver customs is behind by like 4 weeks right now. Its been taking months for my items to get to me from China/HongKong/Taiwan. Really annoying. On top of this in part is because they are ripping apart every single package to get customs fees and really nailing down on that since all the other that happened this year and trying to make up money so getting stuff thru customs is really hard to do now as well.

They only rip apart packages if they are pulled for secondary inspection to verify contents.

If it's just customs fee assessment, they are done very quickly (within an hour or two, usually).

No they are not!!!!!!

Ive been dealing with both Toronto and Vancouver customs on the phone about what has been going on in last month. Canada Post will even confirm but Toronto Customs is a week behind and Vancouver Customs is 4 weeks behind. Call them if you don't believe me since I even confirmed that this morning due to an issue with one of my packages thru Toronto and then I asked them why is it all my packages from Asia are so far behind then usual and they clarified what is going on in Vancouver with me due to all packages from asia when coming into Canada go thru vancouver. Part of that convo is that they are really hitting packages hard at this point (money grab as far as I am concerned) along with other issues such as a new policy on counterfeit items and such which is really slowing down customs when items coming from Asia.

Items that are registered do get thru a lot quicker but any other service types are delayed.

They didn't even have to tell me that info and I knew that with just watching whats been going on with over 20 packages I have bought in the last month alone and how while I bought items for example multiple orders all from Hong Kong and how the registered ones made it thru within 2 weeks but yet all my other packages even ones with tracking are sitting in a bin somewhere not even being processed yet especially when it comes to Vancouver.

I know all this because of multiple phone calls because I have been frustrated as of late due to my airsoft rifle build has been delayed by over a month now and in the past when ordering from asia I had my items at the latest within 4 weeks and that is not happening.

Anyways give them a call and they will verify what is going on with Vancouver and that is why I posted because the op said he was in Vancouver.

You may not be seeing this as bad since and this is an assumption but majority of your dealings are coming thru Toronto customs which is only a week behind and really not as noticeable as what is going on with Vancouver customs as of right now.

K you can believe what you want but Canada post reps and a supervisor both confirmed it let alone I have mutliple orders that just have not come thru over a month and some with tracking that is HK post which work with canada post tracking (service is called speed post/parcel from HK) and they havn't even shown up yet in the Canada post tracking yet on the HK website they have made it to Canada. Customs does not have anything to do with shipping updates so that void is when it is sitting at Customs.

Like I said don't believe me you can call Canada Post right now and ask them since that info was verified to me at 7:58 am according to my cell phone log this morning.

Toronto is 1 week and Vancouver is 4 weeks.

I will also point out depending on where your items are coming from designates which customs it is going thru. I do alot of orders thru Asia so they are all coming thru Vancouver thus why I have been watching it so closely.

I'm also in Vancouver - if this is coming back from CGC USPS isn't an option. They will only ship to you via UPS or FedEx. Choose Fedex. Here in Van, they are awesome to deal with and UPS doesn't give a *#%$. I have a friend who had used them lots with CGC (before Fedex was an option) and they continuously 'safe dropped' the package outside his basement suite apt ... despite sig required.

As well, CGC will post on the package that 'canadian goods being returned' it's entirely possible the customs agents won't see this and will still charge you customs. Just chat with the agent and have him call his customer service peeps. They'll eventually wave it.

PS. if this is not coming from CGC, def use USPS....and yeah, on a package that large, you will have to pay customs to Canada Post. Anything over $400 for me has been charged, almost guaranteed.

UPS gouges on the brokerage/handling fees as well. As you said, go with Fedex from CGC, Heritage, Clink, etc.

No they are not!!!!!!

Ive been dealing with both Toronto and Vancouver customs on the phone about what has been going on in last month. Canada Post will even confirm but Toronto Customs is a week behind and Vancouver Customs is 4 weeks behind. Call them if you don't believe me since I even confirmed that this morning due to an issue with one of my packages thru Toronto and then I asked them why is it all my packages from Asia are so far behind then usual and they clarified what is going on in Vancouver with me due to all packages from asia when coming into Canada go thru vancouver. Part of that convo is that they are really hitting packages hard at this point (money grab as far as I am concerned) along with other issues such as a new policy on counterfeit items and such which is really slowing down customs when items coming from Asia.

Items that are registered do get thru a lot quicker but any other service types are delayed.

They didn't even have to tell me that info and I knew that with just watching whats been going on with over 20 packages I have bought in the last month alone and how while I bought items for example multiple orders all from Hong Kong and how the registered ones made it thru within 2 weeks but yet all my other packages even ones with tracking are sitting in a bin somewhere not even being processed yet especially when it comes to Vancouver.

I know all this because of multiple phone calls because I have been frustrated as of late due to my airsoft rifle build has been delayed by over a month now and in the past when ordering from asia I had my items at the latest within 4 weeks and that is not happening.

Anyways give them a call and they will verify what is going on with Vancouver and that is why I posted because the op said he was in Vancouver.

You may not be seeing this as bad since and this is an assumption but majority of your dealings are coming thru Toronto customs which is only a week behind and really not as noticeable as what is going on with Vancouver customs as of right now.

OK, I did not know about the new policy change in regards to counterfeit items.

Since we're talking about comic books and not parts from Asia (and very few people buy comics from Asia) I would assume your case is isolated.

Toronto may be a week behind as they look for counterfeit items but I would assume packages from 'Murica! don't get pulled for the same reasons as Asian ones do, just like packages from countries where the incidence of terrorism is high are also going to get flagged for different reasons.

Also, it's not a 'money grab', it's reasonable that they would expect to generate revenue from incoming products. They're just enforcing it much more aggressively than they used to. I agree that packages of all amounts used to fly under the radar. I think that ship has sailed.

Vancouver customs is not four weeks behind.

My last few packages all cleared the same day.

As do mine - but you're not buying gun parts from Asia.

Are you actually buying panties like Peter asserted? :o

No they are not!!!!!!

Since we're talking about comic books and not parts from Asia (and very few people buy comics from Asia) I would assume your case is isolated.

Toronto may be a week behind as they look for counterfeit items but I would assume packages from 'Murica! don't get pulled for the same reasons as Asian ones do, just like packages from countries where the incidence of terrorism is high are also going to get flagged for different reasons.

Also, it's not a 'money grab', it's reasonable that they would expect to generate revenue from incoming products. They're just enforcing it much more aggressively than they used to. I agree that packages of all amounts used to fly under the radar. I think that ship has sailed.

Why would I need to buy any when I can get them from his mother for free? (shrug)

No they are not!!!!!!

Why would I need to buy any when I can get them from his mother for free? (shrug)

Game worn/photo matched always sells for a premium.

JJ

No they are not!!!!!!

He prefers to call them, Manties.

No they are not!!!!!!

I need to scurb my brain good. This is scary thought imaging Greggy wearing mommy's panties! :o

K you can believe what you want but Canada post reps and a supervisor both confirmed it let alone I have mutliple orders that just have not come thru over a month and some with tracking that is HK post which work with canada post tracking (service is called speed post/parcel from HK) and they havn't even shown up yet in the Canada post tracking yet on the HK website they have made it to Canada. Customs does not have anything to do with shipping updates so that void is when it is sitting at Customs.

Like I said don't believe me you can call Canada Post right now and ask them since that info was verified to me at 7:58 am according to my cell phone log this morning.

Toronto is 1 week and Vancouver is 4 weeks.

I will also point out depending on where your items are coming from designates which customs it is going thru. I do alot of orders thru Asia so they are all coming thru Vancouver thus why I have been watching it so closely.

I will believe what i want. I will believe that when I pay for 3 day shipping over the border, it gets here in 3 days. I suspect it's where you are ordering from and what you are ordering.

My spouse and I shop online all the time - had a package arrive today in fact and the delay for customs (when they charge) is usually 1 extra day.

Having said that, my spouse will occasionally order stuff from Hong Kong as well and low and behold....massive delays. Stuff from the US or UK, though, no issues. I've even got stuff from London, UK to Vancouver in the same week.

I had a box of comics from an LA board member sit in Vancouver customs for four weeks just last month.I was told this is common,they are back logged.My parcel from Alaska got here in less than half the time,it missed Van. thankfully.

LA is west coast so not surprised since it would go to vancouver usually and why such a delay. Asia is west coast so goes to vancouver always. East coast usa goes to Toronto usually , Uk england and such goes to Toronto always.

I have an item that just took a week in customs from USA TN in Toronto and it is just a bolt. Seriously no custom fees or anything but sat In Toronto/Mississauga customs for a week and it was a small bolt.

The item while they would not know gun related is a flashlight mount for a rail which has been sitting at customs for over 3 weeks now in Vancouver which was from HK. Also a couple other items are sitting there as well just as long.

Its just boils down to they don't have the workers to sift it fast enough.