• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tales of Suspense 39 CGC 9.8

81 posts in this topic

It's new, graded in August. It appeared in the August 23rd update. If if it was an upgrade it was not submitted with the previous label.

Yeah, figured it was recently slabbed as ComicLink changed the description of the Pacific Coast 9.6 listed on the Exchange.

Thanks.

So there's a 9.8 on the census. :o

Does anyone know when it was graded and if it was a 9.6 bumped ? Also, any ideas who owns it ?

From what I heard it was a 9.6 that is now a 9.8. I think someone mentioned it is co owned by a dealer and board member. Man I wish I had that book….Would pay off a ton of debt!!!!!

Does anyone know when it was graded and if it was a 9.6 bumped ? Also, any ideas who owns it ?

From what I heard it was a 9.6 that is now a 9.8. I think someone mentioned it is co owned by a dealer and board member.

hm

From what I heard it was a 9.6 that is now a 9.8. I think someone mentioned it is co owned by a dealer and board member. Man I wish I had that book….Would pay off a ton of debt!!!!!

Thanks! All I could tell about the book was what the census tale could tell.

That bump from 9.6 to 9.8 on this book is a difference of $200,000.00. That's a big decision for a grader to make. Had to be stressful.

Doesn't this only prove that you are just paying for a number? The book that was once a 9.6 shapeshifted into a 9.8, but nothing actually changed with the book. Suddenly it is now worth a house more than it was previously. I don't have a dog in the fight though so let the rich pay whatever they want to feel like they have the best.

That bump from 9.6 to 9.8 on this book is a difference of $200,000.00. That's a big decision for a grader to make. Had to be stressful.

Doesn't this only prove that you are just paying for a number? The book that was once a 9.6 shapeshifted into a 9.8, but nothing actually changed with the book. Suddenly it is now worth a house more than it was previously. I don't have a dog in the fight though so let the rich pay whatever they want to feel like they have the best.

Or just may be it was a 9.8 all this time and was under graded.

The grader is only supposed to grade the book that is in front of them and is not supposed to know anything about the history (i.e. previous grade) of the book. :gossip:

The grader is only supposed to grade the book that is in front of them and is not supposed to know anything about the history (i.e. previous grade) of the book. :gossip:

or care what the financial gain will mean to the submitter.

Or just maybe it is actually only a 9.6 book and was simply overgraded on this particular resub. :gossip:

After all, grading is subjective and still more of an art as opposed to something that is exact and scientific. hm

Or just maybe it is actually only a 9.6 book and was simply overgraded on this particular resub. :gossip:

After all, grading is subjective and still more of an art as opposed to something that is exact and scientific. hm

Very true, Lou. I've seen a few scans of 9.8s that when magnified reveal they have some obvious faults, which in my mind drop the issues down 1-2 grades. Of course, the same debate rages on with other collectibles: everything from cars to baseball cards... :preach:

Yeah, isn't that crazy? I think a lot of these high end books just change hands among a handful of elite dealers trying (and so far succeeding) to stoke flames further. A lot of it too is your point exactly - there are some wealthy collectors who feel a need to own that Finest Known copy.

in a sense you're right... that's what happens with something so subjective.

many have the mantra: buy the book, not the label

Yes.