• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MS5 CGC 9.8 ( third copy ) sells for $48.5K

73 posts in this topic

Do you mean This guy?

He sounds honest, I'm sure it is legit :ohnoez:

Ya I honestly didn't even look at the books, anything and everything is in play at that auction. Shilling, you name it, guy is capable of everything it takes at the Top end, which is a lot of :devil:

Do you mean This guy?

Ya I honestly didn't even look at the books, anything and everything is in play at that auction. Shilling, you name it, guy is capable of everything it takes at the Top end, which is a lot of :devil:

Is that the reason he took his own books to Heritage to auction off when it came to his own personal Marvel collection a couple of years ago, because he had no confidence at all that his own Pedigree website would fetch him top dollars? hm:flamed:

Do you mean This guy?

That has unfortunately crossed my mind.

I don't know what's occurring in the comic auction, but I can tell you in the art portion, its all reserves, and people are bumping the price up fishing for momentum and trying to give off the perception of value.

The Donnellys have art in that auction. :insane:

I would seriously doubt that all the sales are legit on the comic side; one of the goals of this auction is undoubtedly to get a public perception that this auction house gets top dollar and in order to do that, items need to sell for top dollar whether they do do, or not. :makepoint:

Do you mean This guy?

Is that the reason he took his own books to Heritage to auction off when it came to his own personal Marvel collection a couple of years ago, because he had no confidence at all that his own Pedigree website would fetch him top dollars? hm:flamed:

I'm not sure if that was the reason, he would even have to admit that Heritage is obviously a more renowned auction house than his own for the magnitude of his collection. I was surprised that he let the floodgates open on everything at one time instead of selling one run this quarter, one run the next quarter and so on.

Do you mean This guy?

I'm not sure if that was the reason, he would even have to admit that Heritage is obviously a more renowned auction house than his own for the magnitude of his collection.

That's my main point..........if Schmell himself doesn't believe that Pedigree is good enough or renowned enough to auction off his own books, then how in the world can he expect other potential sellers to consign their books onto his website. hm

By going to Heritage to sell his own books, it is certainly not the best way to promote the Pedigree brand in the competitive auction marketplace. doh!

just so you know only 45 pieces of art sold; the high prices you saw with "not yet met reserve" were not actual bids but the software bumping up the price to just below reserve ...so the next bid would trigger it and you would win.

Personally Doug is a nice guy, I just prefer more safeguards than one guy running an auction from the computer in his house.

just so you know only 45 pieces of art sold; the high prices you saw with "not yet met reserve" were not actual bids but the software bumping up the price to just below reserve ...so the next bid would trigger it and you would win.

Approximately how many pieces of artwork were there in total since only 45 of them sold? hm

Approximately how many pieces of artwork were there in total since only 45 of them sold? hm

https://www.pedigreecomics.com/v2/auction?item_type=comic%20art

Looks like close to 300.

Thanks Gotham. (thumbs u

Given the scarcity of the 9.8s (7) I think the price is actually right. The last sale was March 2014 so some appreciation is expected. If Warlock appears in a Marvel film, it will be very easy to flip.

The pool for selling a Bronze Age comic book above 10K gets really really small, try selling one and you will see what I mean. Above 50K, well its like trying to breath in outer space. :insane:

I think only the 9.9 Hulk 181 has hit over the 50K mark for a bronze age book.

Its a small list of contenders otherwise

GL 76...... 2 9.8s

HOS 92....2 9.8s

Star Wars 35 cent variant....2 9.6's

MS5.......... 3 9.8s

I think only the 9.9 Hulk 181 has hit over the 50K mark for a bronze age book.

Its a small list of contenders otherwise

GL 76...... 2 9.8s

HOS 92....2 9.8s

Star Wars 35 cent variant....2 9.6's

MS5.......... 3 9.8s

The HOS 92 in 9.8 is a legit 15K book, 15K that's it and there are only two of them. The Northland was infamously pressed and, nope didn't hit it. The Savannah didn't get there due to Browning I heard. I'm not sure if there is a White Mountain or Pac Coast. There is no Curator copy. I'd really question that MS5 sale, unless a BSD just had to have it. I know Fischler likes that book, but I have a hard time believing he paid Schmell 48K for it at auction.

With the recent jumps in price I could see HOS 92 hitting over 25k.

Here is the Savannah is a 9.4

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/house-of-secrets-92-savannah-pedigree-dc-1971-cgc-nm-94-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7097-91388.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Here is one of the two 9.8's

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=433588

I don't have a pic of the other one.

I wish I knew more about DC bronze Curator books. They seem to be for the most part, a complete mystery. Would love to own some Curator Adams/Wrightson/Kaulta someday :wishluck:

Would also like to know what the Mass & Twin Cities HOS 92 copies are.

Do you know why the HOS #92 9.8 1st sale wasn't recorded by GPA for $7800?

Here it is selling again for $14,500.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=438409

Here's a pic. of I believe the other 9.8. Not sure when it was listed or if it had sold but I think it was listed at Comic Connect for sale as well.

HouseofSecrets_92_9-8_zpsg1jksjom.jpg

Do you know why the HOS #92 9.8 1st sale wasn't recorded by GPA for $7800?

Here it is selling again for $14,500.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=438409

Here's a pic. of I believe the other 9.8. Not sure when it was listed or if it had sold but I think it was listed at Comic Connect for sale as well.

HouseofSecrets_92_9-8_zpsg1jksjom.jpg

Comic Connect and Comic Link don't provide sales data to GPA. That's why as a buyer on these sites you have to be careful about paying a record sum for something that isn't recorded (save a screenshot), as when attempting to re-sell potential buyers may balk - as to them there is no precedent. (tsk)

Thanks Gotham. (thumbs u

Given the scarcity of the 9.8s (7) I think the price is actually right. The last sale was March 2014 so some appreciation is expected. If Warlock appears in a Marvel film, it will be very easy to flip.

The pool for selling a Bronze Age comic book above 10K gets really really small, try selling one and you will see what I mean. Above 50K, well its like trying to breath in outer space. :insane:

Of course. But a re-sell for $4-5K is entirely possible.