• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To reholder or not? Help me please :-)

17 posts in this topic

Guys, as a newbie I would need your experienced opinion on this. I received this X-Men #1 today, and I really like that it sits in an old label slab, BUT there is a very small crack on the left lower side (not on the front or back, just on the side) and moreover the sides of the slab are loose. In a way that if you pull them appart there is a small gap.

Do you think that this is something that would command reholdering the book? Or are loose sides in the old slabs usual or even normal?

X_Men_1_F_Small.jpg

Thank you very much. Thats the answer I was hoping for. Sending it to CGC all the way from Sweden and back would be both risky and time-consuming. The four corners are perfectly secure and stable, so I will let this go :-).

I would guess that most of my older label slabs have gaps in the sides. It's never occurred to me that I need to reslab them. Keep it original! :thumbsup:

I would reholder it. It costs $15 + shipping or something like that and the book has been in that slab for well over a decade. Why not give it a new home? Reholder does not mean regrade.

Agreed, but reholdering it would mean some risk during shipping from and to Sweden and maybe implications with custom fees (?), I am not sure about that. Anyway, this is not an emergency anyway. I like the old label so I think I am keeping it in there at least for now.

Thank you very much. Thats the answer I was hoping for. Sending it to CGC all the way from Sweden and back would be both risky and time-consuming. The four corners are perfectly secure and stable, so I will let this go :-).

I would guess that most of my older label slabs have gaps in the sides. It's never occurred to me that I need to reslab them. Keep it original! :thumbsup:

Thank you for the advice. This is my first old label slab (and only the second slab overall, lol) so I really had no idea about what is normal and what its not.

Buy yourself some CGC Pro Slabs and place your key books in them then just relax and enjoy them they will be more than fine this way. One day sell yours and buy another one if it bugs you that much that is what I would do if it meant between me been 100% happy and not been 100% happy. All old CGC slabs have one side that opens up just don't keep playing with it and make it actually break.

Link:

I prefer the blue ones but it seems they have none left on ebay for the correct size you need you can just ask them they will most likely have some in stock and then list them up on ebay.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GREEN-SLAB-PRO-Graded-Comic-CGC-Case-Protector-MARVEL-IMAGE-Comics-STORM-/291905563336?hash=item43f6ed6ac8:g:VQoAAOSwi0RXyHaP

Buy yourself some CGC Pro Slabs and place your key books in them then just relax and enjoy them they will be more than fine this way. One day sell yours and buy another one if it bugs you that much that is what I would do if it meant between me been 100% happy and not been 100% happy. All old CGC slabs have one side that opens up just don't keep playing with it and make it actually break.

Thanks, I will check them out.

Thanks, I will check them out.

They are great I could not be happier with them they protect the CGC cases really well.....I found out the hard way if you stack even just 2 CGC holders one over the other the pressure over time will most likely cause minor cracks in the bottom CGC holder. But with the Pro Slabs this should not be an issue (I still do not stack more than 2 books but I have peace of mind the bottom of the 2 books is now safe). Just make sure you get the proper size you need.

They are great I could not be happier with them they protect the CGC cases really well.....I found out the hard way if you stack even just 2 CGC over one and the other the pressure over time will most likely cause minor cracks in the bottom CGC holder. But with the Pro Slabs this should not be an issue (I still do not stack more than 2 books but I have peace of mind the bottom of the 2 books is now safe). Just make sure you get the proper size you need.

(thumbs u