• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wonder Comics # 1

63 posts in this topic

I believe spine splits that are more than 3-4" have a ceiling grade of 5.0-6.0. Thus, I'm sure this copy could get a 5.0-6.0 blue (which would be better than the 9.0 GLOD in my opinion). The Central Valley Fantastic 3 is a cgc 6.0 I believe, and it has a big spine spilt as well but is otherwise much nicer.

I believe spine splits that are more than 3-4" have a ceiling grade of 5.0-6.0. Thus, I'm sure this copy could get a 5.0-6.0 blue (which would be better than the 9.0 GLOD in my opinion). The Central Valley Fantastic 3 is a cgc 6.0 I believe, and it has a big spine spilt as well but is otherwise much nicer.

Interesting

Thank you for this analysis

This is something I did not know previously as regards how CGC views spine splits

Kinda surprised that CGC would kick up the grade and label as QUALIFIED

Seems that a 5.0-6.0 blue label would just be a better way to grade the book

A QUALIFIED grade under these circumstances is simply plain confusing

I know what you are saying, but that's true of the qualified label in general.

Still, if I was a prospective buyer I'd be happy to know it looks like a 9.0, but has a huge spine split. In a way that tells me more about the condition that a straight 5.0.

I didn't personally find it confusing.

Still, if I was a prospective buyer I'd be happy to know it looks like a 9.0, but has a huge spine split. In a way that tells me more about the condition that a straight 5.0.

Well maybe it wasn't confusing to you because you follow perverse logic but I can assure you that it makes zero sense to have a qualified grade in this instance

A qualified grade should be reserved for a page missing or a coupon cut out, not a spine split

Otherwise, any book can be graded as qualified "but for" x,y or z

A qualified grade should be reserved for a page missing or a coupon cut out, not a spine split

+1

Yes, absolutely no problem with the use of a qualified grade for a missing page or a clipped coupon on an otherwise high grade book, but not for a spine split. (thumbs u

I have also always thought that a spine split was considered to be a general defect which would negatively impact the grade of a book, as opposed to something that could be qualified away. (shrug)

Well maybe it wasn't confusing to you because you follow perverse logic but I can assure you that it makes zero sense to have a qualified grade in this instance

You can disagree with me without makimg it personalPeter. The green label to my understanding has always been for books that would be at least two points higher without the presence of a single defect (ie not for general wear or acculumations of defects). There's never been any stipulation so far as I know that the defect must be this or that.

You can disagree with me without makimg it personalPeter. The green label to my understanding has always been for books that would be at least two points higher without the presence of a single defect (ie not for general wear or acculumations of defects). There's never been any stipulation so far as I know that the defect must be this or that.

Oh, I see what you mean then. hm

Qualified labels are meant to be used for books with only a single defect as opposed to books with an accumulation of different defects.

Learn something new everyday. (thumbs u

Learn something new everyday. (thumbs u

Noob.

:baiting:

What would be ideal is if CGC published the actual grade AND the qualified grade, because then that would tell you the whole story about the book.

I agree that just the qualified grade is a bit of a gray area.

CGC census shows 9 Universal, 5 Restored, and 1 Qualified. If memory serves, I read a claim that the 9.4 and 9.2 in the census are the same book in different holders. In any case, several boardies have a copy of this book, here's mine:

won122a_zps6c7d4330.jpg

CGC census shows 9 Universal, 5 Restored, and 1 Qualified. If memory serves, I read a claim that the 9.4 and 9.2 in the census are the same book in different holders. In any case, several boardies have a copy of this book, here's mine:

won122a_zps6c7d4330.jpg

What a great book! :applause:

won122a_zps6c7d4330.jpg

Not sure how i missed this one but WHOA!!!!!! That's what i would call a crown jewel right there!!!! :applause: