• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

suggestions for creating a data base for my collection with values

9 posts in this topic

I currently have an account with comicpriceguide.com for books I sell. for my private collection I could open up a 2nd acct at a cost of somewhere near $50 per year.

I know it is possible to create an excel file but since i'm looking to insure my private collection "guide values" are as important as ease of entry (adjusting grades etc).

I am familiar with cpg. com but maybe its time to take a look at alternate options

open to suggestions for sure

I am in the process of making a database using OfficeLibre's Base program, which is just like MS Access, only free. I tinker and fine tune it every now and then and once I have what I want then I will start re-inventorying my collection. The last time I did an inventory was in the early 90's and back then I used a program called Dataperfect. That program pre-dated computer mice and it still works on 32 bit systems.

There are a few database programs online made by other collectors for programs like MS Access, but none of them had exactly what I was looking for, so I decided to make my own. It's like taking college classes trying to figure it all out.

I want a program that in addition to the text description of each comic I have, I want it to include scans of the front cover, back cover, indicia, and if the issue has it, the statement of ownership.

I'm afraid I'm using Excel/Google Sheets at the moment. Not sure what I'll do when I start to have too many rows. :)

I too have thought about building my own app. (since I am a developer).

In particular I'd like an app. that lets me easily takes pics from my phone (in addition to uploading). Barcode scanning would be another great feature. I would also like the ability to enter and track value over time.

I am trying the free comic base software seems pretty easy to navigate so far but the cost for the full service is $60 for the 1st year so want to max out the 500 book limit and see what I think before I pony upo the $60. I do like the values function however prices are unrealistic as far as actual selling goes in my opinion