• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What superhero is this Ice Girls costume? ... At the Coyotes hockey game and...

43 posts in this topic

Shh you'll upset Gretzky

:gossip: He's working for the Oilers again - just signed on this month.

:facepalm: Don't even joke....really?

I know he was here not long ago doing a signing at his restaurant in the airport, but getting back into the Oilers? Sheesh.

Shh you'll upset Gretzky

:gossip: He's working for the Oilers again - just signed on this month.

:facepalm: Don't even joke....really?

I know he was here not long ago doing a signing at his restaurant in the airport, but getting back into the Oilers? Sheesh.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers/wayne-gretzky-reunites-with-oilers-as-oeg-partner-vice-chairman

I think the tickets are a dollar. Hockey is just that unpopular in Phoenix. It is way past time to move that team to Quebec City where it would be appreciated.

I think Seattle would be a good place to move the team, especially since they lost basketball and are close enough to the border for fans of Canadian teams to come down too.

Not to disparage Pehonix (Glendale) but it's a real joke that they, Florida and a few others keep hanging onto franchises that just aren't viable in these loactions.

Bettman has his head so far up his *ss that he will never admit that these franchises are money pits and should be moved to cities that can sustain them.

This is still a primarily a gate driven revenue league and the NHLPA must be crying at the attendance figures in these cities. rantrant

Being a Rangers fan I am very happy that Vesey to this point refused to sign in Phoenix.

I think the tickets are a dollar. Hockey is just that unpopular in Phoenix. It is way past time to move that team to Quebec City where it would be appreciated.

I think Seattle would be a good place to move the team, especially since they lost basketball and are close enough to the border for fans of Canadian teams to come down too.

Not to disparage Pehonix (Glendale) but it's a real joke that they, Florida and a few others keep hanging onto franchises that just aren't viable in these loactions.

Bettman has his head so far up his *ss that he will never admit that these franchises are money pits and should be moved to cities that can sustain them.

This is still a primarily a gate driven revenue league and the NHLPA must be crying at the attendance figures in these cities. rantrant

Being a Rangers fan I am very happy that Vesey to this point refused to sign in Phoenix.

As am I.

Not to disparage Pheonix (Glendale) but it's a real joke that they, Florida and a few others keep hanging onto franchises that just aren't viable in these loactions.

Just to clarify, you were talking about the (Miami) Florida Panthers, and not all FL teams, right? :preach:

The Lightning has a pretty robust fan base and regularly places in the top 10 in average attendance across the league, according to Wikipedia..

They were also named the #1 franchise in sports this year by ESPN The Magazine.

Not to disparage Pheonix (Glendale) but it's a real joke that they, Florida and a few others keep hanging onto franchises that just aren't viable in these loactions.

Just to clarify, you were talking about the (Miami) Florida Panthers, and not all FL teams, right? :preach:

The Lightning has a pretty robust fan base and regularly places in the top 10 in average attendance across the league, according to Wikipedia..

They were also named the #1 franchise in sports this year by ESPN The Magazine.

I love tampa as a franchise and stamkos as a player, but (in business terms only) attendance means nothing if the tickets are among the cheapest in the league, which they were not that long ago. Are they still? I don't know. This article is from 2013. http://www.rawcharge.com/2013/2/19/4006128/tampa-bay-lightning-among-least-expensive-tickets-in-national-hockey-league

Don't get me wrong, I like the team. But "attendance" is just butts in seats. Its a start and its preferable to no butts in seats, but the real driver of sustainability is dollars per butt, not just butts ;)

I think the fact is that they could probably make more elsewhere but want, long term, national audiences for television contracts and would otherwise be unrepresented in the southeast US.

I think Auston Matthews proves everything you say wrong. The point of putting hockey teams in the south was/is to grow the game.

Oh and Gostisbehere is from Florida.

I don't fully disagree with you, but I get the logic. Hockey needs to grow and teams in the north won't grow the game.

I think the fact is that they could probably make more elsewhere but want, long term, national audiences for television contracts and would otherwise be unrepresented in the southeast US.

This is the main reason, and the league has alluded to it in the past.

Besides, moving a team is not as lucractive for the owners as having someone pay a franchise fee to buy in. If I were an existing owner, I would want Seattle and Quebec City to pony up the bigger dollars.

I think Auston Matthews proves everything you say wrong. The point of putting hockey teams in the south was/is to grow the game.

I don't fully disagree with you, but I get the logic. Hockey needs to grow and teams in the north won't grow the game.

But for the MOST part it IS a league where the majority of revenue does come from attendance. It's not like the NFL where before one game is played the TV revenue per team will cover the salary cap. For this reason, the NHLPA would prefer teams in cities where the arena would be filled NOW. CURRENT players care about the NOW and not what lies ahead in the future. I totally agree that the league would want non hockey markets to flourish in the long term. The league and NHLPA are partners but their goals aren't always mutual. (and yes I was talking about the Panthers, not the Lightning)

But for the MOST part it IS a league where the majority of revenue does come from attendance. It's not like the NFL where before one game is played the TV revenue per team will cover the salary cap. For this reason, the NHLPA would prefer teams in cities where the arena would be filled NOW. CURRENT players care about the NOW and not what lies ahead in the future. I totally agree that the league would want non hockey markets to flourish in the long term. The league and NHLPA are partners but their goals aren't always mutual. (and yes I was talking about the Panthers, not the Lightning)

Can you show me quotes from the NHPLA saying they don't want teams in the southern markets?

Are you Canadian?

Can you show me quotes from the NHPLA saying they don't want teams in the southern markets?

Are you Canadian?

Yes I am Canadian.

And I do know several NHL players and no you will not find that on the record from the NHLPA but off the record most, not all, will tell you they would prefer a 2nd team in Southern Ontario as opposed to anywhere else and that's just common sense for a league that generates the majority of it's revenue from gate and merchandise. But I did say LONG term it IS in the league's best interests to grow the sport in the South and thus increase it's TV revenue and lessen it's reliance on gate revenue. Long term it is the best strategy but most players think me,me,me and not long term.

% of revenue from gate the last 5 years for the NHL

2010/2011 41.81%

2011/2012 41.11%

2012/2013 34.45%

2013/2014 40.43%

2014/2015 37.22%

I highly doubt you will see %s like that in the NFL, NBA or MLB

I love hockey and really hope the game grows by leaps and bounds in the USA but there is toms of work to be done and I'm not sure Bettman is the right man to accomplish this.

What good would a team in Southern Ontario do? Canadians are quick to forget how much financial trouble OTT had and how the NHL had to rescue them from near bankruptcy. Or what about Vancouver? Heck, even EDM had had a lot of trouble. Let's not forget that the Canadian dollar is dropping significantly. Also, did you see the attendance at the WCOH? It goes to show that if it isn't a Leafs game, people don't turn out.

You also said a "majority" of revenue comes from ticket revenue. Your own statistics prove that wrong.

While I agree Bettman has done some odd things, he's grown the game exponentially. It probably is time for him to go and I imagine he will after the 100th season.

Are you Canadian?

Well I assume tv network contracts make a pretty significant part of the revenue, as does attendance. Which is more important to owners than players. And I can't imagine the Phoenix or Miami hockey tv contracts pay as well as a Seattle or Any Canadian city would go for. Tickets in Winnipeg cost more than tix in NYC, and people from Vancouver fly to Phoenix and San Jose because the flight plus tix ARE CHEAPER than buying tix in Vancouver. And people in Minnesota, Chicago and Canada ACTUALLY STAY HOME TO WATCH HOCKEY, which doesn't happen in Anaheim or Miami or Phoenix. So yes expansion might be preferable for the buy-in price and to bring in revenue from a new market, but its also another team to share revenue with as well as another competitor for players and national broadcast revenues and might make your division harder to win.

For players, they might appreciate not having to pay state income tax in florida (and in US dollars) vs much higher taxes in Quebec City (and paid in Canadian $$) considering, not to mention the preferred warm weather of Arizona or Florida in the winter time versus most parts of Canada.

Its not a simple issue. Is growing an 'untapped market' preferable to exploiting harder in an existing market with a risk of cannibalizing it?

I personally would move the coyotes to Seattle. Its rainy as hell during hockey season, people have nothing to do on weeknights. So they might as well go to games or stay home and watch them. Just try to avoid having games on Seahawks days. And they clearly love their sports as you can tell by how quickly soccer has caught on there. Not to mention all the Vancouver people who love hockey but cant' get canucks tix will drive down all the time.

And I'd contract Miami Panthers, the lightning are run well enough to have all of florida