• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st books ever back from CGC. Well, that was a disaster. Lesson learned hard way

103 posts in this topic

:facepalm:

Ok, here's the deal:

new back into hobby after 28 years + new to CGC and excited about getting books slabbed + severely inexperienced grader + mesmerized by books on wall at Big City LCS = :tonofbricks:

Man, now I've got a pile of mid grade X-men to low grade and lousy Defenders #1. I don't even want to say what they cost from the Big City LCS wall and then to add in CGC fees (although I did get the $150.00 sign up credit), it just equals a big learning lesson. The X men 100 is so low (3.5) I'm actually thinking of cracking it open just to learn about how CGC books are encapsulated. Here's the run down:

Defenders 1 - 6.5

X Men 100 - 3.5

X Men 102 - 8.0

X Men 103 - 7.5

X Men 104 - 8.0

X Men 105 - 8.0

X Men 106 - 8.0

X Men 107 - 7.5

X Men 108 - 8.0

Here is the original prices LCS had on books:

#100 - $100.00

#102 - $150.00

#103 - $125.00

#104 - $125.00

#105 - $125.00

#106 - $125.00

#107 - $125.00

#108 - $150.00

I paid $750 for all the x men books, coming to $93.00 a book. I talked the LCS into a lower price for buying the group.

paid $160 for Defenders 1, talking down LCS from $200.

Perhaps my posts are too reveling least you all think I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, however, if there is anyone here newer then me (I've been here 3 months) and getting back into collection, please learn from my mistakes.

Good God Damn, just going through the GPA on these books: :facepalm:

Ok, here's the deal:

new back into hobby after 28 years + new to CGC and excited about getting books slabbed + severely inexperienced grader + mesmerized by books on wall at Big City LCS = :tonofbricks:

Man, now I've got a pile of mid grade X-men to low grade and lousy Defenders #1. I don't even want to say what they cost from the Big City LCS wall and then to add in CGC fees (although I did get the $150.00 sign up credit), it just equals a big learning lesson. The X men 100 is so low (3.5) I'm actually thinking of cracking it open just to learn about how CGC books are encapsulated. Here's the run down:

Defenders 1 - 6.5

X Men 100 - 3.5

X Men 102 - 8.0

X Men 103 - 7.5

X Men 104 - 8.0

X Men 105 - 8.0

X Men 106 - 8.0

X Men 107 - 7.5

X Men 108 - 8.0

#100 - $100.00

#102 - $150.00

#103 - $125.00

#104 - $125.00

#105 - $125.00

#106 - $125.00

#107 - $125.00

#108 - $150.00

I paid $750 for all the x men books, coming to $93.00 a book. I talked the LCS into a lower price for buying the group.

Perhaps my posts are too reveling least you all think I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, however, if there is anyone here newer then me (I've been here 3 months) and getting back into collection, please learn from my mistakes.

not to rub salt in the wound but you paid for the $150 sign up credit. 2c you should observe more and post less, you might have found the PGM forum and saved yourself about 90% of what you shelled out

Why were you getting them slabbed? Did you plan to flip them? Other than registry competitions-- I would never slab a book unless it was to prepare it to sell as a high grade and valuable book. Raw copies in mylar are awesome -- you can open them any time time you want, read them, admire them etc-- but I understand some others prefer to encapsulate, perhaps as a way to validate the grade long term.

Why were you getting them slabbed? Did you plan to flip them? Other than registry competitions-- I would never slab a book unless it was to prepare it to sell as a high grade and valuable book. Raw copies in mylar are awesome -- you can open them any time time you want, read them, admire them etc-- but I understand some others prefer to encapsulate, perhaps as a way to validate the grade long term.

Again, a learning process for me here. The thinking was long term.

On the bright side, there are only 9 other X Men #100 3.5 in the census :ohnoez:

I gotta lay down. I'm going about this too fast. Patience, Grasshopper.

Please feel free to Thread-. I deserve it.

No, brother.... you don't deserve it...... no one deserves a hosing. There's sellers right here on this forum that could have hooked you up with those books at decent prices....... start building a network of friends and trusted associates...... some shops are OK, but there are plenty that just want to make the dollar. In the beginning, it might also be to your advantage to just get them already slabbed if that's what you want. It's the best way I know to learn how to grade. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

....PM me your address and I'll send you a stack of cool books for free, to help keep you from becoming bitter..... I'm not joking.

No, brother.... you don't deserve it...... no one deserves a hosing. There's sellers right here on this forum that could have hooked you up with those books at decent prices....... start building a network of friends and trusted associates...... some shops are OK, but there are plenty that just want to make the dollar. In the beginning, it might also be to your advantage to just get them already slabbed if that's what you want. It's the best way I know to learn how to grade. GOD BLESS...

....PM me your address and I'll send you a stack of cool books for free, to help keep you from becoming bitter..... I'm not joking.

I've bought from about 4 or 5 people here. I'm meeting folks here. You're right, I can learn about grading from these books coming to me. Thanks. A bright spot.

Now THIS.....is a first class gesture! One of the reasons I love this place. For the OP: You don't have to follow all the advice you get on here, but it is certainly food for thought. A lot of the experiences passed on to you here are from people who already learned the hard way, so, in effect, they've done a lot of your homework for you.

As to that LCS....well, there are a lot of them who do that the uninformed sadly---so remember that the next time you're about to drop some nice $$$---look for the good people who have treated you well and do business with those trustworthy individuals---they earned it.

My advice to you is to lock up your wallet until you know what you are buying, why you are buying it and certainly know AND understand what price you are paying for said book(s). If you don't, you will simply have a mish-mash of books in some of the grades you want....and after you've brought yourself up to speed on things, will seriously find yourself in the hole with over-valued books and lots of bad taste in your mouth....

Sincerest wishes for good luck though....always nice to see another collector come back into the hobby/sport....

Kindest regards,

V.

Ok, here's the deal:

Defenders 1 - 6.5

X Men 100 - 3.5

X Men 102 - 8.0

X Men 103 - 7.5

X Men 104 - 8.0

X Men 105 - 8.0

X Men 106 - 8.0

X Men 107 - 7.5

X Men 108 - 8.0

#100 - $100.00

#102 - $150.00

#103 - $125.00

#104 - $125.00

#105 - $125.00

#106 - $125.00

#107 - $125.00

#108 - $150.00

not to rub salt in the wound but you paid for the $150 sign up credit. 2c you should observe more and post less, you might have found the PGM forum and saved yourself about 90% of what you shelled out

aaaahhhhhhhhh, that salt really stings :cry:

On the bright side, there are only 9 other X Men #100 3.5 in the census :ohnoez:

To be fair, you're not alone. There's a lot of tears when first time submissions come back. At least you're in the right place now and learning a lot.

Luckily there are some people, my self included, who would be interested in a low grade X-Men #100. You could always just post it up for sell and see what happens.

Also remember that the LCS owner may not know how to grade either. Some see really nice books as near mint and price them that way, but when looking closer for defects the book may only be very fine or VF+. That may be your most important lesson.

One of the hardest things for me to do is evaluate high-grade books. It's easy to grade books from 2.0 to 8.0 or so. Many VF books look NM.

I've been on the boards for more than seven years and I still look at the PGM thread a lot. I like to see the books when they get graded to see how close my estimate was.

In conclusion, everyone on the boards has had a similar experience to the OP. You just live and learn. Experience helps, but there will always be another book or collection that defies logic.

Plus, at least they didn't come back in purple holders!

Now THIS.....is a first class gesture! One of the reasons I love this place. For the OP: You don't have to follow all the advice you get on here, but it is certainly food for thought. A lot of the experiences passed on to you here are from people who already learned the hard way, so, in effect, they've done a lot of your homework for you.

As to that LCS....well, there are a lot of them who do that the uninformed sadly---so remember that the next time you're about to drop some nice $$$---look for the good people who have treated you well and do business with those trustworthy individuals---they earned it.

My advice to you is to lock up your wallet until you know what you are buying, why you are buying it and certainly know AND understand what price you are paying for said book(s). If you don't, you will simply have a mish-mash of books in some of the grades you want....and after you've brought yourself up to speed on things, will seriously find yourself in the hole with over-valued books and lots of bad taste in your mouth....

Sincerest wishes for good luck though....always nice to see another collector come back into the hobby/sport....

Kindest regards,

V.

There were two batches of books in the shipment to CGC. One from the Big City LCS and some raw books I bought at Bedrock City Comics in Texas.

I travel to Houston a lot and visit every Bedrock City shop (all 5) every time I'm there. The other batch of books came from Bedrock. They were all graded spot on by Bedrock with what came back from CGC and priced fairly against GPA, I think. Every single person I've met at Bedrock is friendly and helpful. I'm currently working with Chris Chomiak, back issue manager at Bedrock Westheimer store in putting a Miller/ Daredevil run together. So I guess I'm doing some of the things you have suggested

Ok, here's the deal:

Defenders 1 - 6.5

X Men 100 - 3.5

X Men 102 - 8.0

X Men 103 - 7.5

X Men 104 - 8.0

X Men 105 - 8.0

X Men 106 - 8.0

X Men 107 - 7.5

X Men 108 - 8.0

#100 - $100.00

#102 - $150.00

#103 - $125.00

#104 - $125.00

#105 - $125.00

#106 - $125.00

#107 - $125.00

#108 - $150.00

This is a refreshing post. I've been seeing a lot of bragging and showing off from all forms of social media.

I won't be surprised if this happens more than we can imagine and people are just ashamed to admit, even to themselves.

:foryou:

Ok, here's the deal:

Defenders 1 - 6.5

X Men 100 - 3.5

X Men 102 - 8.0

X Men 103 - 7.5

X Men 104 - 8.0

X Men 105 - 8.0

X Men 106 - 8.0

X Men 107 - 7.5

X Men 108 - 8.0

#100 - $100.00

#102 - $150.00

#103 - $125.00

#104 - $125.00

#105 - $125.00

#106 - $125.00

#107 - $125.00

#108 - $150.00

This is a refreshing post. I've been seeing a lot of bragging and showing off from all forms of social media.

I won't be surprised if this happens more than we can imagine and people are just ashamed to admit, even to themselves.

:foryou:

Yup! To the best of my knowledge, there is no concept of a Lemon Law for comics in current legislation....ergo I think this happens ALL the time.....