• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are the Canadian buyers back??

119 posts in this topic

Anyone else noticing a strong increase in buyers coming from Canada? After a year long hiatus it seems like the buyers from up north are finally back buying books. Of course it could be a rouge group of 5 or 6 buyers that forgot to not buy books anymore but after not getting one sale in close to a year to getting 5 in 1 week seems strange.

An increase of some over none, too be sure. It may have taken this long to digest not only the exchange rate, but doubling/trebling of the postage rates.

Last time I sent a book to a Canadian boardie I was shocked to find it cost $15.00 as opposed to $4-5 in the US. Hardly seems like a foreign country to me...

It is ridiculous how the rates have gone up. I can ship a book to Hawaitt, a billion miles away, for under $4, but it costs $15 to go to Toronto, which I can drive to in an afternoon?

It is ridiculous how the rates have gone up. I can ship a book to Hawaitt, a billion miles away, for under $4, but it costs $15 to go to Toronto, which I can drive to in an afternoon?

It's because Hawaii is a US state. But you knew that. ;)

Being a fellow Canadian, I feel your pain. I usually have books shipping to my home. I get 1 or 2 packages every weeK or once every 2 weeks.

Slowed me a bit. But looking at amazing deals you boardies throw up in sales thread is pure torture! lol

Anyone else noticing a strong increase in buyers coming from Canada? After a year long hiatus it seems like the buyers from up north are finally back buying books. Of course it could be a rouge group of 5 or 6 buyers that forgot to not buy books anymore but after not getting one sale in close to a year to getting 5 in 1 week seems strange.

1dfjhd.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

In all seriousness, I have accepted the exchange rate...It is the atrocious Global Shipping Program that frequently deters me. If I see a book with the GSP, I just either move on or wait until one comes up that does not ship via GSP. The combo of the exchange rate and the GSP is a deal killer for me.

No, I'm still out. It makes no sense to buy right now. The exchance rate is so bad, Canada customs have been holding/charging/Damaging books, USPS shipping rates are so high right now I can't do it.

Lost out on a really nice signed Michael Turner book the other day for 125$ us because after exhange and shipping it would have cost me well over 230$ cdn.

Even just grading a book thru cgc is expensive right now.

If this keeps up I might just be done buying all together.

The exchange rate is currently a few percent lower than the average rate for the last 25 years. The only buyers who believe the rate is so bad are those who convinced themselves the dollar is supposed to be at the historical high it was 4-5 years ago.

Maybe some Canadians took advantage of the high dollar and moved on. I don't see why anyone buying for more than the last 5 years would have stopped. They also may have purchased more when they had more power via the exchange to do so.

The GSP continues to be a pain.

International sales have plummeted. Wish Ebay had some data on this because I bet its astounding. I could count at least 2 to 5 orders from international buyers a month up to last year. Now I am lucky if I get 1 a month.

Don't exports always take a beating when the US$ is strong? Conversely, wasn't the low US$ simply inflating the exports? How were your international sales 10 years ago?

The exchange rate is currently a few percent lower than the average rate for the last 25 years. The only buyers who believe the rate is so bad are those who convinced themselves the dollar is supposed to be at the historical high it was 4-5 years ago.

Maybe some Canadians took advantage of the high dollar and moved on. I don't see why anyone buying for more than the last 5 years would have stopped. They also may have purchased more when they had more power via the exchange to do so.

A few percentage points is the difference between paying full market value and over paying. I don't even like paying FMV if I can avoid it so I wont over pay for anything.

A few percentage points is the difference between paying full market value and over paying. I don't even like paying FMV if I can avoid it so I wont over pay for anything.

That is a far cry from the exchange being "so bad". Postage rates may create a bigger issue than 10 years ago but the exchange does not.

The problem we're having here (Ontario) is the cost of everything going up.

Hydro is up, cell/internet/television crazy, and specifically in the southern/central areas housing is climbing.

It's leaving very little left over for buying with the exchange rate what it is.

The problem we're having here (Ontario) is the cost of everything going up.

Hydro is up, cell/internet/television crazy, and specifically in the southern/central areas housing is climbing.

It's leaving very little left over for buying with the exchange rate what it is.

I have enough books in boxes that I could build you a house and you would have enough entertainment not to need television :baiting:

The problem we're having here (Ontario) is the cost of everything being higher.

Hydro is crazy. I personally changed to a cheaper provider for cell and eliminated TV. With the unlimited internet specials it is actually substantially cheaper than I was in the last decade. I am part of the GTA. Thankfully the housing increase only inflated my net worth but I see your point.