• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do most of the Ditko Strange Tales pages still exist?

17 posts in this topic

I figure about the same percentage of Doctor Strange pages survived as ASM pages. Which means almost all of them.

Doc Strange only had half an issue compared to full issues of ASM, and the first Doc Strange stories were 5, 8, & 9 pages long before settling on 10 pages per issue.

Not including pin-ups or covers there were 320 Ditko Doc Strange story pages produced, compared to 882 ASM story pages (not including all pin-ups or any covers, but including AF 15 and the new material in the 2 annuals).

So right off the bat there are 562 more Ditko ASM pages than Doc Strange.

I think we don't see as many Ditko Doc Strange pages on the market because they have become highly valued by collectors, partially due to their relative scarcity compared to ASM, and also because (perhaps) Ditko got back more Doc Strange than he did ASM pages (since they likely weren't perceived as valuable back when Marvel art was "disappearing" from the Marvel warehouse & offices.

... also, it seems a lot of the Ditko Doc Strange story pages that hit the public market aren't pure Ditko; they are the ones inked by George Bell / Roussos, during the months when Ditko was likely busy producing the first ASM annual on top of his regular Doc Strange & Spidey duties.

The Doc Strange story pages I'd love to see (or own) would be from Strange Tales 126, where Ditko resumed his inking duties and turned out what I feel is among his best Doc Strange work.

The Inking on that story is superb. :cloud9:

Yes, the great majority exist and they are not with Ditko.

See the issue numbers here :

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=250066

Http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9560404&fpart=1

G'nite zzz

According to one of the articles you provided, the Ditko FAQ , Ditko says:

As for his other Marvel work, Ditko wrote that he received back "many" of the 5-page fantasy back-up tales he had done, though not all. Also, "I believe I received most of the Dr. Strange story/art pages. I haven't made an exact check."

(shrug)

I know there are not a lot of them compared to ASM pages, but I have seen very few pictures of the really good pages, even at exhibits where I would expect them to be loaned out. Thanks in advance for any response.

Some nice Dr Strange OA examples at the Ditko exhibition in Palma. Photographs currently up in my CAF.

Yes, the great majority exist and they are not with Ditko.

See the issue numbers here :

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=250066

Http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9560404&fpart=1

G'nite zzz

According to one of the articles you provided, the Ditko FAQ , Ditko says:

As for his other Marvel work, Ditko wrote that he received back "many" of the 5-page fantasy back-up tales he had done, though not all. Also, "I believe I received most of the Dr. Strange story/art pages. I haven't made an exact check."

(shrug)

Agreed.

The not should not be not.

Point 30 is actually quite detailed as to what Ditko received :

http://unitedfanzineorganization.weebly.com/ditkofaq.html#005

G'nite zzz

Thanks so much for all the information. I was hoping to acquire a page from one of the later issues, but it sounds like they are probably in the hands of Steve Ditko. Has he ever expressed any intentions regarding art disposal as he gets up in years? I know he doesn't seem to care about the money. Again, thanks in advance for any responses.

the story goes that the OA he does have doesnt have the same value to him that it would to any of his fans. doesnt bother him to use the pages as a cutting board.

I've researched this topic quite a bit, and I imagine all or almost all of the pages exist. Further, I estimate that fewer than 100 Dr. Strange pages are not in Ditko's possession (as compared to about 850 Spider-Man pages not in Ditko's possession).

Mike

I've researched this topic quite a bit, and I imagine all or almost all of the pages exist. Further, I estimate that fewer than 100 Dr. Strange pages are not in Ditko's possession (as compared to about 850 Spider-Man pages not in Ditko's possession).

wow, so do you agree with this other post in this thread?

Doc Strange only had half an issue compared to full issues of ASM, and the first Doc Strange stories were 5, 8, & 9 pages long before settling on 10 pages per issue.

Not including pin-ups or covers there were 320 Ditko Doc Strange story pages produced, compared to 882 ASM story pages (not including all pin-ups or any covers, but including AF 15 and the new material in the 2 annuals).

if so, that would mean:

Dr Strange 320 total Ditko pages

-------------------------------------

100 Ditko pages in the wild

220 Ditko pages still in his possession

ASM 882 total Ditko pages

850 Ditko pages in the wild

32 Ditko pages still in his possession

wow, so do you agree with this other post in this thread?

if so, that would mean:

Dr Strange 320 total Ditko pages

-------------------------------------

100 Ditko pages in the wild

220 Ditko pages still in his possession

ASM 882 total Ditko pages

850 Ditko pages in the wild

32 Ditko pages still in his possession

according to what I've read on here and on the Ditko FAQ (specifically #30), Ditko recieved 2 complete ASM issues & pages from a third incomplete ASM issue.

So Ditko would have around 60 or so ASM pages in his possession (depending on which issues he got back).

Shortly before the original artwork was returned to the artists, Marvel still held, according to the inventory list, over 84% of Ditko's Spider-Man art. But in a brief span of time in the early/mid 1980s, so many pages were taken from inventory that Ditko got back less than 7% of his Spider-Man pages. Absolute best case scenario for Ditko is that he got back 61 pages of Spider-Man original art (I'm including the first two annuals as well) and worst case scenario is 57 pages.

Information is more scarce on Ditko Dr. Strange art, but I estimate he got back all but 76-96 pages.

Mike

No wonder Ditko's so pissed about that whole era......what a royal shafting. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

.....I have a friend who bought several complete stories from his Tales to Astonish Hulk run...... they went for $ 750 per story back then..... they won't change hands again until after my buddy kicks the bucket.