• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DCBS

24 posts in this topic

Hi,

I decided on placing an order with them (DCBS) a couple months back and got my books yesterday and about 30 books came back damaged. Has anyone had much success with DCBS when it comes to replacing books that are damaged? I've emailed them after I noticed the damage yesterday but wanted to know what I should expect from them.

Thanks.

My only 2 experiences with them on damage were each different. Both times, it was a single book.

On one occasion, they just replaced it on my next order at no cost after I sent an email because apparently it was a handling error. It was a painless process

The other instance was less pleasant as none of their remaining stock was without the same damage, so they basically said "too bad". I asked for a refund and was told I had to send the damaged book back to get the refund, at my own cost. This one was a bit frustrating (and I think I got about $0.07 back in refund more than the shipping cost was to return the damaged book, but it was all about the principle at that point) and even the return for refund was only offered after I threatened to cancel all existing orders (refuse payment on my card) and take my business elsewhere all because they didn't want to be on the hook for a $2.50 book that their whole stock was damaged.

But I've never had any other issues with packing quality or books coming damaged.

My only 2 experiences with them on damage were each different. Both times, it was a single book.

On one occasion, they just replaced it on my next order at no cost after I sent an email because apparently it was a handling error. It was a painless process

The other instance was less pleasant as none of their remaining stock was without the same damage, so they basically said "too bad". I asked for a refund and was told I had to send the damaged book back to get the refund, at my own cost. This one was a bit frustrating (and I think I got about $0.07 back in refund more than the shipping cost was to return the damaged book, but it was all about the principle at that point) and even the return for refund was only offered after I threatened to cancel all existing orders (refuse payment on my card) and take my business elsewhere all because they didn't want to be on the hook for a $2.50 book that their whole stock was damaged.

But I've never had any other issues with packing quality or books coming damaged.

Thanks for the response. Sound like a bad experience. I was definitely disappointed with how the books were packaged. There were about six packs of books in a magazine sized bag put into a box with bubble wrap. Someone two of the packs looked like it got dropped on its corner before placed into the box and damaged quite a few books. I think I'm going to go back to M&M since they seem to do a much better job at protecting the books.

I've used them a few times and never had a problem, but I've also never been impressed with the way they pack. A bunch of guys in moderns swear by them- you might get some traction there for advice.

I'd call them though.

Good idea. I'll post there too. I agree that the way they packed the books was pretty bad.

Thanks for the response. Sound like a bad experience. I was definitely disappointed with how the books were packaged. There were about six packs of books in a magazine sized bag put into a box with bubble wrap. Someone two of the packs looked like it got dropped on its corner before placed into the box and damaged quite a few books. I think I'm going to go back to M&M since they seem to do a much better job at protecting the books.

In my experience, their packing is generally very very good. The one that was replaced with no problem looked like a book that was poorly handled & was an accident. Seems like if there's damage in handling, they don't have any issue with a replacement. But if they just get bad stock, then you're stuck with what they get.

I've been using them for well over a decade. For the most part the books are packed well, and the book quality is mostly as good -- if not better than -- what you will find on the racks of your average shop. And their prices are hard to beat.

That said, I mostly use them to purchase "reader" copies of modern books. If you're looking for investor-grade copies, you might be better off buying from a place that offers some kind of guarantee.

I've been using them for over a decade. For the most part the books are packed well, and the book quality is mostly as good, or better than what you will find on the racks of your average shop. And their prices are hard to beat.

All that said, I mostly use them to purchase "reader" copies of modern books. If you're looking for investor-grade copies, you might be better off buying from a place that offers some kind of guarantee.

Or just buy them already slabbed :idea:

They must have changed their packing. I haven't used them for a couple of years now but when I used to order they always shipped with those nice thick form fitted foam pieces on each corner on both top and bottom of the brick of books.

That's disappointing to hear, I always received nice mint books from them.

They must have changed their packing. I haven't used them for a couple of years now but when I used to order they always shipped with those nice thick form fitted foam pieces on each corner on both top and bottom of the brick of books.

That's disappointing to hear, I always received nice mint books from them.

They didn't change it. If you order a BIG order, the boxes are too big for the foam block things. Especially if you have oversized or abnormally shaped stuff like a poster or toys or stuff. Then they use packing peanuts. But if you have like 10-50 books, you're definitely getting the foam block things that shape around the packs of books still.

Hi,

I decided on placing an order with them (DCBS) a couple months back and got my books yesterday and about 30 books came back damaged. Has anyone had much success with DCBS when it comes to replacing books that are damaged? I've emailed them after I noticed the damage yesterday but wanted to know what I should expect from them.

Thanks.

I have been using them every month for 10 full years - no kidding. It stinks your books were damaged but that is not the norm with them. I feel like most of the time mine look as good or better than ones I can find on the shelf when I'm at a store. I would give them another try.

Hi,

Thanks.

I have been using them every month for 10 full years - no kidding. It stinks your books were damaged but that is not the norm with them. I feel like most of the time mine look as good or better than ones I can find on the shelf when I'm at a store. I would give them another try.

I agree, I have been using them for 5 years and if every once in a while an issue comes in with damage they replace it. They have great customer service and the price is right!!

Hi,

Thanks.

I've placed an order every month since March 2006, so over 10 years as well. Out of these 120+ orders / shipments, I've only ever had to email on a damaged item once or maybe twice and it's been taken care of with an easy replacement. Plus, it was only one item out of many that got a corner ding. Got my monthly shipment today and all was in great condition. I get a lot large odd format strip reprint books and they have to send them in odd shape boxes and even those have arrived in great condition.

What did you hear from them?

Hi,

Thanks.

I've placed an order every month since March 2006, so over 10 years as well. Out of these 120+ orders / shipments, I've only ever had to email on a damaged item once or maybe twice and it's been taken care of with an easy replacement. Plus, it was only one item out of many that got a corner ding. Got my monthly shipment today and all was in great condition. I get a lot large odd format strip reprint books and they have to send them in odd shape boxes and even those have arrived in great condition.

What did you hear from them?

They got back to me today and said I can send back the damaged books. Kind of pissed that it happened but at least they're willing to replace the books, if they still have it in stock. There were about 30+ books that were damaged.