• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's currently on your bookshelf and in your stereo?

190 posts in this topic

Does the Church of Scientology have beliefs against music? confused-smiley-013.gif

I have no idea, but that doesn't mean that anyone who follows Scientology is bad.

I haven't really decided yet, I just have a lot of trouble believing in things that my friends are trying to force down my throat. 27_laughing.gif

Awesome Stooges sketch, btw.

Reading:

The Spirit of the Liturgy by Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger(I think he took a new name a few days ago, but I'm not sure)

The Making of Revenge of the Sith by J.W. Rinzler

Love in the Ruins by Walker Percy

Batman's #239-242 that I just won in an eBay lot(love those 52 page issues!)

Listening:

Sunset Boulevard by Andrew Lloyd Webber

The Phantom of the Opera by Webber

Beethoven Sonato for Cello & Piano, Antonio Janigro, Cello and Jorge Demus, Piano

Superman the Movie by John Williams

Eeek, didn't mean to start such a $hitstorm with my flippant comment.

'Lok, let me come at this one from two angles. 1) If you thought my somewaht smart-alecky comment about Scientology was prejudicial or insensitive to people's religious beliefs, then I sincerely apologize.

2) That said, I have no desire to support shills for the CoS, because my personal belief is that the CoS is not a free-thinking religion, but instead an international cult that employs long-recognized brainwashing techniques. They've been banned in several countries for this. If you're interested in looking into the matter, here's a place to start:

www.xenu.net

I'd like to think this is a case in which I know a little about what I'm talking about, as I've spent years researching the CoS and have given several public presentations about the workings of their organization.

No offense meant if we've got any supporters of Dianetics onboard here. Sorry again to start up controversy on our happy comics message board.

Let me also add that I would not support a ban on the church, as I believe that this would be unconstitutional. But if the CoS has the right to prey on the weak, then I have the right to be a voice of opposition.

And very sorry to hijack this thread, october.. sorry.gif

I'd also like to clear something up. I'm not technically a scientologist. I've actually been baptised Methodist. But I just have problems believing in God right now, so I suppose I'm an atheist, but not a scientologist.

Just finished reading "More Than Hardcore" by Terry Funk, and am currently reading "Reflections of an American Dream" by Dusty Rhodes (I'm an old-school rasslin' fan from way back).

I flip radio stations on the weekends (I go from 70's to 80's to classic rock to current pop) and listen to talk radio in the afternoon when I'm driving home from work.

I used to trade bootlegs for years (Van Halen, Guns N' Roses, and Ozzy - mostly hard rock, but I have a lot of other stuff, too), but ran out of room for them, so I stopped.

I'm reading the JLA paperback-The Flash "Stop Motion" right now, but you'll find King, Koontz, Cussler, Higgins, Wilbur Smith, Ken Goddard, Straub, Crichton, Richard Laymon, Thomas Harris, McCammon, Phillip Margolin, Mary Higgins Clark, Shelly, Resident Evil novelisations, World of Darkness "Tribe Novels-Garou(werewolves)" X-men novels, Spidey Novels, JLA novels.

I've listened to Steely Dan Greatest Hits, Seal (1st album/CD), Elton Johns GH's, Alice in Chains-"Jar of Flies"-this week. The radio in the truck is either tuned to The Bone(classic rock) or Jammin 99.9 ( 60's, 70's and 80's pop,soft rock, motown, funk )

Currently reading...

3.. The Transition of H.P. Lovecraft: The Road to Madness - H.P. Lovecraft

Ah! Lovecraft. I just finished "At the Mountains Of Madness" and "Imprisioned With The Pharoahs" last week. "At the Mountains..." gave me nightmares all that night. Guillermo Del Toro is prepping it as a film last I heard.

Let me also add that I would not support a ban on the church, as I believe that this would be unconstitutional. But if the CoS has the right to prey on the weak, then I have the right to be a voice of opposition.

And very sorry to hijack this thread, october.. sorry.gif

No problem. I was going to comment on the CoS's belief in the Galactic Emperor Xenu or whatever the hell it is...you saved me the trouble of having to check my facts. thumbsup2.gif

JP's "Angel Of Retribution" is the best headbanging album I've heard in about 10 years.

Judas is rising baby, Judas is rising headbang.gif

Damn skippy! I got the itch and had to open this mornings tunes with "Angel Of Retribution" Most bands have their heyday, keep chugging along and then fade away. Priest came back and kicked everyone's @ss. Sabbath was heavy but Priest is Metal. Nothing like Metal, Comics and Count Chocula to start the day.

Todays opening playlist:

"Angel Of Retribution" Judas Priest

"Dust" Screaming Trees

"The Acid Jazz Years" The Brand New Heavies

"Pet Sounds" The Beach Boys"

"The Mob Rules" Black Sabbath

"Revolver" The Beatles

Posting auctions and scanning books all day so the CD player will running constantly.

Next up Brothers Karamazov. After that Thomas Pynchon's V.

27_laughing.gif Why don't you try a TOUGH book after you are done with those two, Rob? Wimp. poke2.gif

Actually, some time after those I'll be reading the next Harry Potter book, so...

Next up Brothers Karamazov. After that Thomas Pynchon's V.

27_laughing.gif Why don't you try a TOUGH book after you are done with those two, Rob? Wimp. poke2.gif

Actually, some time after those I'll be reading the next Harry Potter book, so...

Now THAT is a real challenge. thumbsup2.gif

Hey, don't knock the Potter books until you've read one. The books have more imaginative ideas in each page than most networks come up with in an entire season. They're well written fantasy. Not just kid stuff.

Hey, don't knock the Potter books until you've read one. The books have more imaginative ideas in each page than most networks come up with in an entire season. They're well written fantasy. Not just kid stuff.

I have read them. gossip.gif As far as fantasy books meant for kids but enjoyed by adults, Lloyd Alexander and Susan Cooper beat Rowling by a landslide. screwy.gif