• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's currently on your bookshelf and in your stereo?

190 posts in this topic

Good stuff, I've only gotten through the 1st book. However, his prior book, Cryptonomicon is probably the best read - for sheer entertainment value - I've read in years.

Cryptonomicon is great stuff. I love that book.

I think the scale of the Baroque Cycle is amazing and I'm completely fascinated by the subject matter, so at this point I lean more towards that in terms of my "favorite" Stephenson. I'm going to read them all again over the summer, so we'll see how they sit after that...

Cryptonomicon was probably the most intriguing book I`ve read in years. Sometimes Stephenson could use the hand of a stronger editor, and he needs to suppress the urge to be Tom Wolfe/William Burroughs, but it was a great book. I`m currently making my way through Quicksilver and just waiting for vol 2 to come out in paperback.

Currently reading The Fencing Master by Arturio Perez-Reverte. Very interesting.

Listening right now to John Coltrane. I listen to internet radio/satellite radio almost exclusively now, as regular radio just sucks. I have both Sirius and XM, and also listen to RadioParadise, Indie 103.1 out of LA, WXRT out of Chicago and a couple of other stations.

Currently reading The Fencing Master by Arturio Perez-Reverte. Very interesting.

Have you read "The Club Dumas" by Perez-Reverte? It's decent, but I actually liked the movie better (The Ninth Gate was based on it).

Have you read "The Club Dumas" by Perez-Reverte? It's decent, but I actually liked the movie better (The Ninth Gate was based on it).

I liked the movie better, too, though not until the 2nd time I saw it.

That's odd, I felt the same way. I didn't like it at all the first time, but it grew on me with each successive viewing. I thought it was unfortunate that the book focused so much on Dumas and his writings (I know, the title, the title) and less on the occult aspects of the story. I guess that's why I liked the movie better, since the whole Three Musketeers manuscript thing was totally cut. You probably felt the same way, given your areas of interest.

That's odd, I felt the same way. I didn't like it at all the first time, but it grew on me with each successive viewing. I thought it was unfortunate that the book focused so much on Dumas and his writings (I know, the title, the title) and less on the occult aspects of the story. I guess that's why I liked the movie better, since the whole Three Musketeers manuscript thing was totally cut. You probably felt the same way, given your areas of interest.

I liked that movie from the get go. thumbsup2.gif

B00005AYET.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I liked that movie from the get go. thumbsup2.gif

B00005AYET.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Too bad the director had R. Kelly Syndrome. foreheadslap.gif

After catching the Black Crowes in NYC I've been listening to them non-stop. Mostly their live album, though, while at work I listen to their site's show feed. I'd suggest it to anyone who might have ever liked em in the past few years. They are touring again and sound amazing.

On the bookshelf, Goon Vol 1-3, Persepolis 2, Its a Bird, Invincible Vol 4 and the last District X story arc.

After catching the Black Crowes in NYC I've been listening to them non-stop. Mostly their live album, though, while at work I listen to their site's show feed. I'd suggest it to anyone who might have ever liked em in the past few years. They are touring again and sound amazing.

I saw them in a club about ten years ago. One of those "surprise" small venue shows that bands do... Best show ever- one of them at least.

Yep. thumbsup2.gif I like the premise that the film (especially) is hinged upon, that there's this guy who's working his butt off trying to get into hell as opposed to staying out. The last sequence in the film is very telling. What does hell look like? It's a big white light. The interp of the devil here as a promethean teacher---and possibly benevolent, though not in a traditionally "christian" way---is very much in sync with gnostic teachings (Elaine Pagels' books cover this ground pretty well).

Yep. thumbsup2.gif I like the premise that the film (especially) is hinged upon, that there's this guy who's working his butt off trying to get into hell as opposed to staying out. The last sequence in the film is very telling. What does hell look like? It's a big white light. The interp of the devil here as a promethean teacher---and possibly benevolent, though not in a traditionally "christian" way---is very much in sync with gnostic teachings (Elaine Pagels' books cover this ground pretty well).

Which book? The Origin of Satan? Has anyone done a "biography" of the devil? That would make for interesting reading...

Which book? The Origin of Satan? Has anyone done a "biography" of the devil? That would make for interesting reading...

Umm...that would be the Bible. foreheadslap.gif

The devil's origins go a lot further back than the Bible. Like virtually everything in Christianity, Satan was plagarized from previous mythologies. screwy.gif

The devil's origins go a lot further back than the Bible. Like virtually everything in Christianity, Satan was plagarized from previous mythologies. screwy.gif

That's not what you asked. stupid.gif

Stop splitting hairs and trying to goad me into some inane argument. makepoint.gif

Stop splitting hairs and trying to goad me into some inane argument. makepoint.gif

You sir, know nothing of inane arguements. You should see my "conversations" with Greggy. Then you would know inane arguements. sumo.gif

You sir, know nothing of inane arguements. You should see my "conversations" with Greggy. Then you would know inane arguements. sumo.gifacclaim.gif

You sir, know nothing of inane arguements. You should see my "conversations" with Greggy. Then you would know inane arguements. sumo.gif

You are correct. I bow before the master and mistress of inane arguments. hail.gif