• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's currently on your bookshelf and in your stereo?

190 posts in this topic

But then my cat Marvin gave me a sad sad look that said "But how will you feed me?"

Marky at CGC has a cat, and Jerry has a dog. Borock has Newt! 27_laughing.gif

Seriously glad you stuck with the academics -this way we will still like you when it's all over... gossip.gif

Currently reading...

3.. The Transition of H.P. Lovecraft: The Road to Madness - H.P. Lovecraft

I heard about this on the radio this evening...

Lovecraft Tales

Here's the story...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4616239

And here's the official H.P. Lovecraft website...

http://www.hplovecraft.com

I flipped through that book the other day at B&N but I have already read one in the series published by Del Rea...so I am stuck with those unless I want to double up on some content. I had not see the official Lovecraft site though, interesting stuff.

I loved the Lovecraft graphic novel that DC put out...they really nailed the mood of the short stories in that one. And I was surprised to see so much true biographical stuff in there, like Lovecraft dressing up like a girl, his crazy father, etc.

FFB, what do they play on the 80's alternative?

The Clash, the Smiths, The Clash, English Beat, Love & Rockets, The Clash, The Cure, the Violent Femmes, the Police, The Clash, the Ramones, The Clash, Depeche Mode, New Order, Joy Division, The Clash, and The Clash.

And other stuff like The Clash.

I saw the Clash in their first US show way back when (late 70's), in NYC. I have the tix stub somewhere around here.

Oddly enough, I hated the Clash in high school. I can't explain why -- it makes absolutely no sense. I really like them a lot now. frustrated.gif

The raw energy of their sound has really aged well. When I first got out of school and was living in NYC I saw some GREAT bands around that time.....Talking Heads, Television.....and I used to hit the Bottom Line in the Village alot.....saw Warren Zevon, Devo, Patti Smith .......small venue, it was great!

I actually saw Led Zeppelin live at Madison Square Garden in 1971....my first concert. I think it was right after the release of their third album. Floor seats, edged my way up towards the stage.

I was deaf for hours after the show! acclaim.gif

In the CD Player:

1. The Who Sell Out -- the best Who album you may never have heard! Awesome!

2. The Partridge Family -- Sound Magazine blush.gif

3. The Rolling Stones -- Let it Bleed

4. Marillion -- Misplaced Childhood

5. Black Sabbath -- Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

FFB, what do they play on the 80's alternative?

The Clash, the Smiths, The Clash, English Beat, Love & Rockets, The Clash, The Cure, the Violent Femmes, the Police, The Clash, the Ramones, The Clash, Depeche Mode, New Order, Joy Division, The Clash, and The Clash.

And other stuff like The Clash.

I saw the Clash in their first US show way back when (late 70's), in NYC. I have the tix stub somewhere around here.

Oddly enough, I hated the Clash in high school. I can't explain why -- it makes absolutely no sense. I really like them a lot now. frustrated.gif

When I first got out of school and was living in NYC I saw some GREAT bands around that time.....Talking Heads

I'm jealous. Great band...listening to "Sax and Violins" as I type. cloud9.gif

Bookshelf: Conan the Freebooter - Robert E. Howard

Lucifer 1st DC TPB

God Emperor Dune - Frank Herbert

Stereo: Laserdisc - Black Crowes "Who killed that Bird Up On Your Window Sill"

(yeah, LDs are old, but this isn't available on DVD yet)

CD - Lords of Acid "Voodo U"

Currently reading: The Brethren by Woodward and Armstrong (con law's becoming a new hobby) and a whole slew of programming books....

Summer reading will include: Books on writing (Mailer's The Spooky Art and The Midnight Disease by Alice Flaherty); way too many political tomes (Moss' Nineteen Weeks, The Future of Freedom by Zakaria, Boots' The Savage Wars of Peace, Constructivism and Comparative Politics insane.gif, and Boss by Mike Royko); a couple of short story collections; Men of Tomorrow (had to throw something related to comic books in there, right?); and I'm going to try and slog through Part Two of Stephenson's Baroque Cycle (The Confusion). Phew.

As for what's in the car CD player? COC: In the Arms of God, Y&T: Unearthed Vol. 2, and way too much "Thug Life" rap for my own good.... insane.gif

Alan

On the shelf:

A Game Of Thrones ~ George R.R. Martin

Wellspring Of Chaos ~ L.E. Modesitt Jr.

The Sword Of Shannara ~ Terry Brooks

Watchmen TPB ~ Alan Moore

In the radio:

Pink Floyd ~ The Wall

Reading:

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon

Batman: The Long Halloween + Haunted Knight

Listening to:

Frances the Mute by The Mars Volta

Silent Alarm by Bloc Party

Reading:

"Crisscross" F. Paul Wilson

"The Keep" F. Paul Wilson

Suicide Squad #1-66 DC 1988-1993

"Deadspeak, Necroscope IV" Brian Lumley

"Easy Riders, Raging Bulls" Peter Biskind

In the CD changer:

"The Nightfly" Donald Fagen

"Sad Wings Of Destiny" Judas Priest

"The Twilight Singers Play Blackberry Bell" The Twilight Singers

"Recollections of the Big Band Era" Duke Ellington

"On How Life Is Like" Macy Gray

"Rumours" Fleetwood Mac

"Songs From The Big Chair" Tears For Fears

Pink Floyd is awesome! I have them starting with Wish You Were Here... Such classics. Best concert I ever attended.

V/R,

Mike

Pink Floyd=the only concert I ever fell into a deep sleep at. But I had chicken pox at the time.

Oh wait. I fell asleep at a Van Halen concert, too. No chicken pox.