• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bohemian Rhapsody
1 1

17 posts in this topic

The following article is from deadline.com...

Queen Movie Amping Up With Bryan Singer & Rami Malek As Freddie Mercury

2monkmq.jpg

EXCLUSIVE: Bryan Singer is in talks to direct Bohemian Rhapsody, the long-in-the-works movie about the seminal British rock band Queen, with Mr. Robot‘s Rami Malek playing frontman Freddie Mercury. The film is coming back together and is on the fast track at 2oth Century Fox and New Regency with original producer Graham King and his GK Films.

Fox and New Regency have stepped up for the joint project in the latest maneuver for a movie that has been in development with King for eight years. The most recent -script, which focuses on the band and its iconic lead singer, is from The Theory of Everything scribe Anthony McCarten. King and Jim Beach are producers, and Denis O’Sullivan is exec producer. Original Queen bandmembers Brian May and Roger Taylor will serve as music producers. It’s being eyed to shoot early next year.

On the film side, Singer has been busy guiding Fox’s X-Men franchise, most recently this summer’s X-Men: Apocalypse, which grossed $543.9 million worldwide, and he also has been working on another long-in-the works project for Fox, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. He’s been in tentpole mode with these, so this pic would be a return to a more character-driven territory like with The Usual Suspects and Apt Pupil. He’s repped by WME and attorney Dave Feldman.

Malek won the Lead Drama Actor Emmy this summer as the star of USA Network’s hit hacker series Mr Robot. His film credits include this year’s Buster’s Mal Heart, which was at Toronto, and he was in Short Term 12 with Brie Larson. He’s now shooting the Papillon remake with Charlie Hunnam. Malik is with WME and Brillstein Entertainment."

deadline.com article

Fox and New Regency’s four-time Oscar winner Bohemian Rhapsody rocked across the $900M mark globally this weekend. With $900.6M through Sunday, the highest-grossing music biopic in history is also Fox’s 4th biggest movie ever worldwide, behind Avatar, Titanic and Star Wars: Episode 1 – The Phantom Menace. Talk about a landslide for this $52M-budgeted foot-stomper — and a supersonic high note for Fox’s closing chapter.

Burning through the sky since it debuted early in the UK last October, the Freddie Mercury story currently counts $685.2M from the international box office as it continues play in China ($13.9M to date) and a stunning $115M+ run in Japan.

The Rami Malek-starrer has been inching up on the $900M threshold for a few weeks now, a milestone that at one time would have seemed unthinkable. But as we’ve noted throughout the film’s box office career, the production’s behind-the-scenes drama ultimately did not tarnish the project. Instead, Bohemian Rhapsody overachieved.

I was really disappointed with the movie. Malek was good and enjoyed the sound track, but I feel like a lot was left unsaid.

3 minutes ago, piper said:

I was really disappointed with the movie. Malek was good and enjoyed the sound track, but I feel like a lot was left unsaid.

What do you think they could have touched on more? Maybe how they became so tight as a band maybe?

I liked it. But also love learning more about the history of such bands.

30 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

What do you think they could have touched on more? Maybe how they became so tight as a band maybe?

I liked it. But also love learning more about the history of such bands.

I felt that the movie on the whole seemed too positive, as if no real turmoil occurred within the band. Almost too good to be true?

Wait, wait. He blows them off, forms his own band that he hand-picked, is despondent about it all, has to plead/ beg to get them to reform and practice

for Live Aid, and this is all happy fun time???

1 hour ago, The Brain said:

Wait, wait. He blows them off, forms his own band that he hand-picked, is despondent about it all, has to plead/ beg to get them to reform and practice

for Live Aid, and this is all happy fun time???

All I can say is I like Queen but I fell asleep during this movie. There have been some better biopics about musicians (e.g. Ray Charles one)

3 hours ago, piper said:

The soundtrack was the best part of the movie IMHO. I know the guy won the Oscar, but watch interviews with Freddie on YouTube and you can see the actor played him way too affected.