• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase New England
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Since Blowie doesn't frequent OA, allow me.

I don't recall any OA threads, but there have been many others; here's a comic-related thread about SNE.

Here's another.

And here's a meaty thread where Dan Grenhalgh came on the Boards.

lol

I don't recall any OA threads, but there have been many others; here's a comic-related thread about SNE.

Here's another.

lol

Jeez after 45 minutes of reading I've barely scratched the surface. Great info here. (thumbs u

Here's another.

lol

Jeez after 45 minutes of reading I've barely scratched the surface. Great info here. (thumbs u

No kidding. I'm halfway through

and it's been a great read so far. Have a feeling the second half is going to get ugly.

I never minded that he made money, but he was probably one of the biggest misusers of feedback. If you posted something negative or even remotely not positive, he'd go after you.

Personally, I didn't have that problem, but it was only because I "knew" someone he was friendly with.

I watched other people get trashed though.

I also returned way too much stuff, because the books were missing pages.

I never minded that he made money, but he was probably one of the biggest misusers of feedback. If you posted something negative or even remotely not positive, he'd go after you.

Personally, I didn't have that problem, but it was only because I "knew" someone he was friendly with.

I watched other people get trashed though.

I also returned way too much stuff, because the books were missing pages.

Yeah I held back in that thread and was just trying to be cordial. I had helped multiple local collectors send some of their books to CGC. Usually they contacted me after attempting this on their own and getting back a book or two missing a page. They were all books bought from SNE.

I also bought large numbers of books from Dan pre-CGC, or rather from Cindy who was always very helpful. I still have all his old catalogues and most of the books I bought, still raw and still bringing back memories of happy days when buying books was so much easier. His pedigree collections were really great.

Man, I remember Dan from setting up at comic conventions in the 1990s all around New England.  He'd come around the room every show at the end and ask how much money I made...then he'd tell me some crazy high number he made.  That went on for about 5 years with me wondering what I was doing wrong...until after one particularly bad show he told me he agreed that it was bad and that he only took in $1000.  I ended up talking to one of the employees that worked for him who told me it was actually $100.  That's when I realized he would always multiple the true amount of money he took in by a factor of 10 to make it sound better.  Even though he was sometimes annoying back then, I was sad to hear of his passing...

https://www.tributearchive.com/obituaries/13492718/Daniel-Greenhalgh

I always liked, Dan and his employee, Wendy. They were always very nice and on the rare occasion when I did have a problem with something I bought, Dan always made it right, one time he told me to keep the book and refunded me the cost of it and the shipping.

His Saturday no reserve auctions used to be great back in the early 2000's, I think the quantity he used to list, meant he did not have time to check it all thoroughly, as it was every Sat, with a lot of runs, multiples etc

Sorry to hear he has passed away, RIP Dan.

I don't recall any personal experiences with the owner, however I do remember some not so good experiences with SNE as a company, when they were big on the internet.

It was not a company I was sad to see disappear when they did, to be frank.

I've been on the boards for quite a while now. Longer than my profile shows because for years I would just read.  I wouldn't say a word because what's being said is ridiculous and I don't particularly want the negative attention focused back on me. When the 2007 thread was posted I was reading it and thinking how awful it was. Some of the comments made are just embarrassing. Why a moderator didn't step in at the start and control some of the mud slinging I don't know.  

I didn't know Dan passed away. Life is short.  My collection is better because I made multiple purchases over the years from Showcase. Sometimes I overpaid, on rare occasion I had a return. What does it matter now? Most of the time I got books I really really wanted.

4 hours ago, mytastebud said:

I've been on the boards for quite a while now. Longer than my profile shows because for years I would just read.  I wouldn't say a word because what's being said is ridiculous and I don't particularly want the negative attention focused back on me. When the 2007 thread was posted I was reading it and thinking how awful it was. Some of the comments made are just embarrassing. Why a moderator didn't step in at the start and control some of the mud slinging I don't know.  

I didn't know Dan passed away. Life is short.  My collection is better because I made multiple purchases over the years from Showcase. Sometimes I overpaid, on rare occasion I had a return. What does it matter now? Most of the time I got books I really really wanted.

I agree that in the bigger picture it doesn't matter i.e life. Comic books in that regard are mere fluff compared to someone's life.

However this is a comic book forum, and people are entitled to share their opinion whether it's positive or negative. They are entitled to express their opinion, just as you have expressed yours.

I would also add that if someone has been ripped off in some way, then it certainly does matter to them.