• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is "Infinity Gauntlet" the magnum opus of all Marvel stories?

Marvel magnum opus  

333 members have voted

1. 1. Marvel magnum opus

73 posts in this topic

I liked the Marvel Zombies run.

I'm probably the only one though.

Amusing quirky and totally different.

I'd love to see a movie based on it one day!

Not true at all. I've been wanting a Marvel Zombies movie for years.

I loved the Starlin Capt. Marvel/Thanos/Warlock stuff as a kid.. LOVED IT...but never really thought of Infinity Gauntlet as a 'great' story.

Cool story for sure.

But very little compares to the original Galactus Trilogy from FF 49-50.

(thumbs u

I prefer the non canon storylines that incorporate large numbers of characters.

For example my favorite Marvel Cross-over is: Earth X, Universe X, Paradise X.

Infinity Gauntlet is great and fits well within the mythos, but I am a huge fan of the diverging storylines that they don't have to try to tie back to later.

Ok I'll be the weirdo: Yes, IG is hands down Marvel's Magnus opus to me, and I prefer Lim's art to Perez'. (*Ducks to miss a tomato*)

I preferred Lim over Perez as well, but I was a big SS fan back then and I loved Lim's cosmic style.

For me, though, IG was a bit of a bloated mess and I remember feeling a tad letdown back then. It's just really not that great. It's kind of the norm by now, but all these mega-arcs that bring everyone in typically end up being much ado about nothing. I reread it about 10 years ago and it still didn't do too much for me. I much prefer storylines that focus on one or two characters rather than the 20-man over-the-top-rope Battle Royale stuff.

Ok I'll be the weirdo: Yes, IG is hands down Marvel's Magnus opus to me, and I prefer Lim's art to Perez'. (*Ducks to miss a tomato*)

I preferred Lim over Perez as well, but I was a big SS fan back then and I loved Lim's cosmic style.

For me, though, IG was a bit of a bloated mess and I remember feeling a tad letdown back then. It's just really not that great. It's kind of the norm by now, but all these mega-arcs that bring everyone in typically end up being much ado about nothing. I reread it about 10 years ago and it still didn't do too much for me.

I much prefer storylines that focus on one or two characters rather than the 20-man over-the-top-rope Battle Royale stuff.

+1

Which is why something like Brubaker's Winter Soldier storyline or Daredevil Born Again could just as well be considered two of Marvel's greatest works.