• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the deal with G.I. Joe #21? (plus I moved to NM)

30 posts in this topic

I remember someone on this board was looking for G.I. Joe #21, but I can't remember why they seemed to think it was so hard to find at a decent grade. Was there some sort of printing error or something?

Help a fellow out!

BTW, I just relocated my warehouse to New Mexico a few weeks ago. Anyone have an opinion about what the best comic book store is in the Santa Fe / Albuquerque area?

I remember someone on this board was looking for G.I. Joe #21, but I can't remember why they seemed to think it was so hard to find at a decent grade. Was there some sort of printing error or something?

Help a fellow out!

BTW, I just relocated my warehouse to New Mexico a few weeks ago. Anyone have an opinion about what the best comic book store is in the Santa Fe / Albuquerque area?

No words . . . silent issue (shh!) grin.gif

paging Dr Delekkerste... Dr Gene Delekkerste... youre wanted in the GIJoe thread....

I think it's the combination of (a) the book has a very dark green cover (same as on X-Men #94) that shows off defects rather easily and (b) not too many people thought issue #21 of a toy spin-off comic book would turn out to be worth something, so not too many were immaculately preserved. Just my theory.

Isn't that the issue that has no talking?

Yes and, by the way, it's the greatest, best and most important comic book of all-time. wink.gif

gossip.gif Rumor has it, one of the posters on these boards owns the original art to the book. 893whatthe.gifwink.gif

I live outside of Santa Fe so I buy my comics at the only LCS here. True Believers Comics And Gallery on 435 S. Guadalupe. Phone #505-992-8783. The sell original art and have some signings from time to time. It's a great place.

I used to buy all my books at Nobel Collectibles in Albuq. when my job was taking me there regularly. I don't go to Albuq. much any more and it isn't worth it to drive there just for comics.

So are you in Albuq. or in Santa Fe? We should try and get together for lunch one of these days.

Basically, even with no words, the issue just plain ROCKS!

Read it in reprint sometime.

Plus, I was always a fan of snake eyes before he turned full fledged ninja.

Those were the simple days of GIJoe stories and cartoons

no ninjas, the soldiers looked like soldiers and the stories didnt involve cloning, Serpentor (though he was cool before they killed him like 3 times)

and the Fred's.

I'm in Santa Fe, but I'm working in Madrid for the foreseeable future. I've been scoping out True Believers, but they often don't carry some of the comics that I really like. And I find their frequent-buyer program to be lacking. But I guess I have to live with it for now. frown.gif

I *used* to be a frequent buyer at Book Mountain actually when I visited the area. So much that the owner asked me to buy her entire inventory when she got out of the comic biz! grin.gif

I'm in Santa Fe, but I'm working in Madrid for the foreseeable future. I've been scoping out True Believers, but they often don't carry some of the comics that I really like. And I find their frequent-buyer program to be lacking. But I guess I have to live with it for now. frown.gif

Just FYI, they will order any book you want on a monthly basis. Basically anything out of the Diamond catalog. The problem with getting a good discount on new books in Santa Fe is the market is to small and the cost of doing business is to high.

The trick is to get to know Jeret (sp?) (the guy that works there). Today I called him and said I could get the new Overstreet on Amazon for $20.49 with shipping and could he match it? He said sure. I do the same thing on larger purchases like Masterworks and stuff. They're smart enough to know that making a little bit is better then making nothing, but most people aren't smart enough to ask.

BTW, I worked at Book Mtn. in the mid 80's. wink.gif When Peggy closed her back issue inventory was [#@$%!!!], heck, it was [#@$%!!!] for the entire 22 years she was in business. grin.gif

Howards Rare Comics in Albuquerque is the best by far for Bronze & Silver And aton of cgc stuff.No new books but you can get them anywhere!!! 505-489-6258

I still can't wrap my head around buying a CGC book in person. I understand the advantage on-line or mail order, but do I need CGC to grade a book for me that I can hold in my hands and grade myself? The resto check on a high dollar book is cool, but I just can't pay the premium on a book I'm buying in person.

Turned out my copy was a 9.4.

Get in line. I have slabbed two copies of that book that I thought were 9.6 easy and hoping for a 9.8, but alas both came back at different times as 9.4s.

Those two are the only high grade copies I have had of this book and I have been looking for years. Try to find one at a show I dare ya. Even [#@$%!!!] copies sell for over book on ebay as I bet I have sold 15 copies in VG for over guide in the last few years on ebay.

Reasons why

1.) Cover Shows EVERY little defect.

2.) Silent issue still one of my favorites all time.

3.) 1st Storm Shadow issue.