• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What artist are you excited about at the moment?

32 posts in this topic

For me, I'm exited Nexus has been helping make James Jean art available... I haven't gotten anything yet, but the fact it's being offered at very resonable prices is very exciting.

Other than that, Tex Wolverine... where did all those pages end up?

I just bought some Al Hartley Patsy Walker Marvel art from 1961 and did a bunch of background research on him. He was almost a right hand for Stan Lee for a few years. A key Marvel man, but only did one superhero book.

Al was a friend of mine in his later years and I have only ever been able to get one piece of art from his Spire Christian Comics work. I have been on the lookout now for more than 15 years and have only seen two pieces of his sell -- the one I have and an unpublished cover for the Johnny Cash comic sold by a seller who said he was Al's grandson.

I saw several pages from his Thor story come up for sale for cheap right around that same time, but I wasn't as into comic art back then as I am now. Those pages really skyrocketed over the years and I wish I'd have bought at least one back then.

I did an hours-long interview with him back around 2000 about his work in comics and, specifically, his Spire Christian Comics line. The interview was supposed to be used in Roy Thomas' Alter Ego magazine way back then, but the editor kept pushing it back, so, after 10 years of it not being used, I pulled it and plan to print my own fanzine in the near future that will include the lengthy interview. (I printed one issue several years ago of the fanzine, called Comic Book Issues, and only gave one copy away, so this would be a restart of that fanzine.)

The one artist I really, really search for is Bob Budiansky. I loved his Ghost Rider as a kid and that has stuck with me all these years. Unfortunately, there isn't much of his art out there, so, when it does come up for sale, I do my best to buy it.

I also love Jim Starlin's work. I think his cosmic work is amazing, especially during his prime period (1975-1983). His style has changed a bit over the years and some inkers have overpowered his beautiful line work on his more recent projects, but he is still producing work that is heads-and-shoulders above most other artists, in my opinion.

...I did an hours-long interview with him back around 2000 about his work in comics and, specifically, his Spire Christian Comics line. The interview was supposed to be used in Roy Thomas' Alter Ego magazine way back then, but the editor kept pushing it back, so, after 10 years of it not being used, I pulled it and plan to print my own fanzine in the near future that will include the lengthy interview. (I printed one issue several years ago of the fanzine, called Comic Book Issues, and only gave one copy away, so this would be a restart of that fanzine.)

Huh. That would be extremely interesting to read. Please get it out there and let's us know when we can order it!

While not a new artist, I really love Skottie Young's work, especially what he did on in the Oz series. I have never seen any of the Oz work for sale but just love the style.

skottieYoung.jpg

His Oz work is stellar, I agree, and originals have been available in the recent past. Skottie used to sell artwork from his own website, but his art sales are now handled by Felix Comic Art. Nothing shows on site, but it never hurts to ask.