• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ALLENTOWN DETECTIVE # 27 QUESTION

27 posts in this topic

There were pictures of it at the time.... and discussions about its condition (which was impressive as I recall) and I dont remember any 7" crease or any mention of such an obvious defect. What it did have is that pencil slash some Church books have in a corner (forget which) which may be what you are misremembering as a crease..? Its really weird how rumors start about legendary books that have been out of sight for years!!

There were pictures of it at the time.... and discussions about its condition (which was impressive as I recall) and I dont remember any 7" crease or any mention of such an obvious defect. What it did have is that pencil slash some Church books have in a corner (forget which) which may be what you are misremembering as a crease..? Its really weird how rumors start about legendary books that have been out of sight for years!!

It does have a very large crease. I don't remember whether it's 7" but I can easily believe several inches. My thought from looking at a color photocopy was that it was, at best, a F-VF. The colors/pages would have been exceptional -- at least that's how they appeared in the photocopy.

I am talking about the Church copy of Tec 27 whose photocopy I saw when it was last being offered for sale. I didn't read this whole thread carefully so if you thought I was referring to the Allentown copy, I apologize for the confusion.

nope.. Im also talking about the Church copy. But there is no big fcvr fold in any of the images I have seen, including the photocopies made at the time. Like I say, just that pencil slash thing common to a handful of the early Church books (the ones that were not bought on the stands the month they came out or something like that.) I think THAT is what you remember seeing, not a fold. I remember it as a beautiful flat bright copy with a little edge wear and little stuff like that keeping it from what would today be 9+, and easing Anderson's decision to jettison it in favor of the supersweet Allentown copy.

I talked to Rogovin today (working on a poster deal) and remembered to ask about the Church Detective #27 because of this thread.

Definitely no cover crease, just the small pencil markings and bright white pages.

He felt that if it was graded by CGC it would come back as an 8.5

(blue label).