• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage selling on Ebay from their aucitons???

42 posts in this topic

A bunch of high grade auctions finished up on Heritage tonight. Aside from a 9.6 ASM #1 doing very well the other high grade keys did very poorly. 9.6 ASM #14 and 9.6 DD #1 both did half of GPA last sale. If I were one of those sellers I'd be really pissed. Obviously declining hammer prices has a lot to do with running auctions on eBay.

I don't follow your logic.

I agree that ASM #14 has dropped from years ago when there were fewer 9.6 copies and no 9.8 copies but the last sale was actually the Pacific Coast 9.6 (which commands a premium) that went for $18K, so this copy seems to be where it should be.

The DD #1 basically matched all other recent GPA sales at $36K

A bunch of high grade auctions finished up on Heritage tonight. Aside from a 9.6 ASM #1 doing very well the other high grade keys did very poorly. 9.6 ASM #14 and 9.6 DD #1 both did half of GPA last sale. If I were one of those sellers I'd be really pissed. Obviously declining hammer prices has a lot to do with running auctions on eBay.

I don't follow your logic.

I agree that ASM #14 has dropped from years ago when there were fewer 9.6 copies and no 9.8 copies but the last sale was actually the Pacific Coast 9.6 (which commands a premium) that went for $18K, so this copy seems to be where it should be.

The DD #1 basically matched all other recent GPA sales at $36K

I thought the 9.6 DD #1 went for $14k???

I respect that the vast majority of the market charges fees around 10% of comic sale price, and that Heritage stands alone at more than double that fee rate and still has any business thanks to its past activity and reputation.

A reputation premium is a hard thing to maintain, and probably won't last long past a time when final bids at other auction sites catch up (the 'results' premium Heritage seems to have had for so long).

I respect that the vast majority of the market charges fees around 10% of comic sale price, and that Heritage stands alone at more than double that fee rate and still has any business thanks to its past activity and reputation.

A reputation premium is a hard thing to maintain, and probably won't last long past a time when final bids at other auction sites catch up (the 'results' premium Heritage seems to have had for so long).

in most cases heritage charges 0% of the comic sale price (if you have material that is worth a lick)... so it's definitely not double The other sites that charge 10% on avg

Where heritage is at a disadvantage is to the consignor as they typically receive 19.5% less due to the buyer premium. That said, heritage has only raised their bp from 15% to 19.5% all while facing competition. So I wouldn't hold my breath that they will be lowering that any time soon

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it bothers me that Heritage sale prices gets recorded to GPA without taking into account the BP. It seems a bit deceptive.

How is it deceptive? That is the price paid by the buyer. It's a true measure of the market. Someone is willing to pay $xxxx.xx for the book. Who get's what percentage of that amount doesn't matter.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it bothers me that Heritage sale prices gets recorded to GPA without taking into account the BP. It seems a bit deceptive.

How is it deceptive? That is the price paid by the buyer. It's a true measure of the market. Someone is willing to pay $xxxx.xx for the book. Who get's what percentage of that amount doesn't matter.

The hammer plus + the buyer's premium is what is recorded into GPA.

I do not believe that is the price paid by the buyer. I think you pay the bid price plus the buyers premium.

Huh? That IS the price paid by the buyer. Hammer + BP. And then they tack on Tax and Shipping if you are in that situation. But they don't report Tax and Shipping because that is individual to the specific buyer. Price plus BP is the amount the willing buyer pays, thus it is market price. If I listed the same book on ComicConnect (which has no BP) with the same bidders, the amount realized should be the same (or higher)

The hammer plus + the buyer's premium is what is recorded into GPA.

I'm well aware Roy. That's my point, I don't see the final number (I.e. price+BP) as deceptive as it is the amount the buyer pays. I don't care if it's a gross up etc, I and most buyers like me factor the BP INTO the price. So if I'm willing to spend $25,000 on an X-Men 1, then my highest bid would be 21000 (knowing that the BP pushes it up to $25000)

jay, in your quote above it just sounded like you and Krypto were disagreeing when you should have been agreeing.

We're all on the same page! :acclaim:

jay, in your quote above it just sounded like you and Krypto were disagreeing when you should have been agreeing.

Hopefully you and I are on the same page about the new Metallica Album!!

Hopefully you and I are on the same page about the new Metallica Album!!

I like it and I also think it's a brilliant marketing strategy?