• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

most valuable piece of comicbbok artwork?

100 posts in this topic

That's the one.

That tower of shadows cover looks thirty years ahead of its time - tell me it doesn't look like a dated Sin City cover!

Yes, the classic image of the Hulk holding up his logo. I saw a scan of it some time ago, but for some reason didn't save it. Hopefully the current owner will post it on-line eventually.

Best,

The Cap 101 cover is Gorgeous. I hear that the Cap 113 by Steranko exists too.

Also the Shield Comics # 1 cover with the classic 1960's motif "Who is Scorpio?" sold for about 17k in 1999-2000. What a steal. That cover has gotta be about 45k right now.

I've never seen or heard mention of the Cap 111 cover. I'm not sure what Steranko still owns out of the 60's Marvel covers. I believe he was the one that put the Nick Fury 1 cover up for auction with All Star.

what do you guys beleive is the most valuable piece of EXSISTING comicbook artwork?

i bring this up because heritage is pushing the marvel 1 page its auctioning as the most valuable and historic piece of exsisiting artwork ever.

do you agree with this and if not,what is youre pick for most valuable artwork

I believe that arwork was actually for Marvel Mystery # 2 but was never used. Originally thought to be alternate cover for # 1 but someone noticed the date of December on top after the auction was over.

"Bill Everett - Marvel Comics No. 2 Prototype cover, 1938-39, Craftint Doubletone no. 206, watercolor and gouache, signed lower right corner, dated December upper right corner. The original is of great historical significance because it was undoubtedly done by Everett when the Marvel Comics title was being created. Why it was never used after the November No. 1 issue is unclear. Because of the lack of any surviving originals from this early period of time in comics, and due to the popularity of Everett's character Sub-Mariner, this painting is pivotal in comics history, condition excellent. 11 in. by 18 1/2 in. $10,000-20,000". Sotheby's 1991.

marvelcomics1.jpg

hi..i was referring to the panel artwork from marvel 1 sold on heritage..

the number 2 prototype may very well be the most valuable piece of artwork...maybe

I did not know about any panel artwork from Marvel 1. Wow!

Link?

Elvis

I've never seen or heard mention of the Cap 111 cover. I'm not sure what Steranko still owns out of the 60's Marvel covers. I believe he was the one that put the Nick Fury 1 cover up for auction with All Star.

The $17,500 that that went for now looks DAMN FRIGGIN cheap. I remember when everybody thought that was the top.

Imagine the piece could get 4 x - 5 x that nowadays.

what do you guys beleive is the most valuable piece of EXSISTING comicbook artwork?

i bring this up because heritage is pushing the marvel 1 page its auctioning as the most valuable and historic piece of exsisiting artwork ever.

do you agree with this and if not,what is youre pick for most valuable artwork

I believe that arwork was actually for Marvel Mystery # 2 but was never used. Originally thought to be alternate cover for # 1 but someone noticed the date of December on top after the auction was over.

"Bill Everett - Marvel Comics No. 2 Prototype cover, 1938-39, Craftint Doubletone no. 206, watercolor and gouache, signed lower right corner, dated December upper right corner. The original is of great historical significance because it was undoubtedly done by Everett when the Marvel Comics title was being created. Why it was never used after the November No. 1 issue is unclear. Because of the lack of any surviving originals from this early period of time in comics, and due to the popularity of Everett's character Sub-Mariner, this painting is pivotal in comics history, condition excellent. 11 in. by 18 1/2 in. $10,000-20,000". Sotheby's 1991.

marvelcomics1.jpg

This piece is imho,..a problem. Non-published pieces are in my opinion HIGHLY SUSPECT.

Bill Everett (assuming he did the piece) could have whipped this together in 1983,...and called it 'a proto-type'...

I dunno,...Id rather have something that can be NAILED DOWN !!!!!

I wouldnt pay more than 50K for the piece.

Only if it can be autheticated as Everett would I be perhaps willing to pay 50K. Irrespective of its origin and provenance,..it still would be Classic OA.

If it could be tied vis-a-vis records as 'a proto-typre' (and it would have to be DAMN compelling [(beyond a mere letter by Everett stating the piece as a proto-typre],...Id want internal Timely records) then Id say it worth 8 times my 50K...easy.

You have problems with and it and think it's suspicious, but you'd pay fifty grand for it? screwy.gif

In KK's world of monopoly money, $50K is a pittance. gossip.gif Let's remember this is someone who habitually takes whatever might be the most extreme estimate for any OA piece and then triples it. So $50K for KK is like $5K for you and me.

You have problems with and it and think it's suspicious, but you'd pay fifty grand for it? screwy.gif

In KK's world of monopoly money, $50K is a pittance. gossip.gif Let's remember this is someone who habitually takes whatever might be the most extreme estimate for any OA piece and then triples it. So $50K for KK is like $5K for you and me.

So, you're saying that this is a picture of the true KrazyKat:

historyparagraph.gif