• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teen Humor--Anything but Archie
12 12

3,276 posts in this topic

I've been searching for washtone covers in various genres and haven't turned up any undiscovered ones for about a decade. I've seen all the war, mystery/sci-fi, superhero, western, and adventure titles. Amongst the few DC genres I haven't seen in their entirety is teen humor. Anybody know of any DC washtone / greytone covers (stilll occasionally referred to as "painted" covers) in the teen-humor genre?

I really have enjoyed looking through this thread. A great look at the funny books from the golden age. Here's one I picked up that I think qualifies for admission into the thread. Also, it seems some have a desire to collect "green dress" covers and it would apply there too.

cindy.jpg

Also, I have been trying to find some of the G I Jane title that were posted much earlier in this thread with NO success in any condition.

Are they that tough to find or have I just not been looking in the right places?

Would love for this thread to continue. Let's see more.

Also, I have been trying to find some of the G I Jane title that were posted much earlier in this thread with NO success in any condition.

Are they that tough to find or have I just not been looking in the right places?

GI Jane, like many other oddball '50s books are very tough to find in any condition. Good luck on your search (thumbs u

I was thrilled to finally get the first Tessie from 1944.

Unlike the Tessie as a dumb blonde stories that were the norm, the first story actually depicts her as somewhat of a heroine.

She gets a job as a lion tamer at a circus and is actually talented at it. The competing circus wants to hire her so they figure that by poisoning the big cats in Tessie's circus, she will be available for hire. Tessie figures out the plot (not until they have actually killed two of the cats) and saves the day. Then after that, we're back to dumb blonde Tessie.

Cool issue, plus it's date stamped as well.

Tessie01a.jpg

What the heck, this one is always worth revisiting. It's one of my favorites of the Marvel covers from the 1940's.

z-hedy26.jpg

And this classic Suzie cover. If they had done more covers like this, she probably would have remained more popular.

suzie51007.jpg