• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's DEADPOOL 3 starring Ryan Reynolds, Hugh Jackman (2024)
8 8

945 posts in this topic

On 7/28/2024 at 8:56 AM, drotto said:

So this is what happens when you tell Kevin Feige to back the F#%$ up and let creatives that know the characters, know Marvel, and know how to make a movie just do their thing.

Ehhh

Ryan Reynolds is not so much playing "Deadpool" in so much as he is playing a heightened version of his public persona.  It isn't so much that he "know(s) the characters" in so much as he knows himself.   Don't get me wrong.  I loved this movie.  I really did and might go see it again.  However, Deadpool seems like an extension of the public personal of Reynolds himself.

Wanna see what I mean.  Take a Mint Mobile commercial that Reynolds is in, and then close your eyes.  Maybe it's Deadpool pitching a mobile phone or maybe Reynolds.   Either fits. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 7/28/2024 at 6:21 PM, Buzzetta said:

Ehhh

Ryan Reynolds is not so much playing "Deadpool" in so much as he is playing a heightened version of his public persona.  It isn't so much that he "know(s) the characters" in so much as he knows himself.   Don't get me wrong.  I loved this movie.  I really did and might go see it again.  However, Deadpool seems like an extension of the public personal of Reynolds himself.

Wanna see what I mean.  Take a Mint Mobile commercial that Reynolds is in, and then close your eyes.  Maybe it's Deadpool pitching a mobile phone or maybe Reynolds.   Either fits. 

And hence why when David Goyer introduced Ryan Reynolds to Deadpool via comic books telling him he needed to strongly consider the role, it all came together. But it took years to get there.

Goyer Confirms Deadpool (2012)

IGN FilmForce recently revealed that New Line Cinema is trying to broker a deal to bring Deadpool to the big-screen with Goyer directing and co-writing the script with comic book scribe Mark Millar. Goyer's Blade: Trinity cast member Ryan Reynolds would portray the title character.

"I want to do something else with Ryan Reynolds because I really loved working with him and New Line wants to do something else with Ryan Reynolds and Marvel wants to do something with Ryan because there aren't a lot of actors anymore that can do credible action and be funny and that are also good actors," Goyer told reporters.

"Ryan, I think, coming out of this movie and I know it's a lot to say will sort of be like where Mel Gibson was coming off of Lethal Weapon," the Blade and Batman screenwriter said. "He can do it all. He never thought he could do action, ever. And he was in here last week with his girlfriend and I showed him some cut-together action stuff and said, 'Can you believe that's you?' And he said, 'No, I cannot!' So, Deadpool came up as a possibility. We would completely reinvent it. We can't connect it to Weapon X or anything like that. We'll see."

Saw it today - Spoiler Free Review: I thoroughly enjoyed it. I probably should wait a few weeks to do a Trilogy ranking but today I'd go 1-3-2.  Not that coming in 3rd place even means "bad" for any of these movies (enjoyed 2) - I liked them all, just in degrees. But the important thing is that if you liked the first two movies, you'll almost certainly will like this one as well.

Not all the jokes hit, of course. A lot of the TVA stuff was confusing & I can't even imagine the perspective of someone who hadn't seen anything of the Loki TV shows. The first act (after they get past the opening credits which are *quite* entertaining) drags a bit & relies on punching the same "joke boxes" over & over. "Was it funny that time?" "How 'bout that time?"

BUTT, er, but....  Once you get The Team Up We've Been Waiting For & the actual story begins, it is pretty much non-stop fun IMO. The main characters are pretty much exactly what you'd expect, what you've seen from the trailers, & they do hit some iconic comics highlights which are pretty cool. But that's mostly setup & the story advances (which can be a little clunky at times - X event happens, but the aftermath of X is interrupted because we gotta get to the next big scene - for those that have seen it - the Car Fight for example - a cool fight happens, but... we gotta get them to the next scene). 

DP & Wolvie absolutely amazingly play off each well, as you would hope, IMO.  The cameos are fantastic.  The supporting cast is fantastic.  The jokes are... well, favorable (80/20 I'd say, maybe 70/30).

The ultimate antagonist is... OK-kinda-dull, & like a "who can we pull out of a random hat to be our villain"?  I guess sometimes the antagonist's dialogue & insight into our characters is mildly entertaining enough, although to be fair the VFX when that happens are absolutely amazing. In other words, outside the insights into DP&W & the VFW you very likely won't be "wow'd" by the villain, I don't think, in that... whoah, *yawn* this film, but....  the character serves.. the? pole? sole? that's a fish isn't it? wait: role... of... villain... adequat... *zzzzz*

Oh! Right! The villain is there & serves a purpose. Of being a villain..

On 7/27/2024 at 4:47 PM, Buzzetta said:

Let's also be realistic.  "R" Rated does not carry the stigma nor the hesitation for parents to bring their kids to, as it did even twenty years ago. 

True - that Rating is all about Gore (& language, but.... really it's so we get to see both main characters go stabby stabby & the language part is just a bonus I guess?). If you want to see Deadpool violence level + Logan violence level, then there's your R-rating right there.

Loved it and so did the wife. She explained a joke I missed.

Spoiler

Something about Deadpool masterbating to Gossip Girl, a show I never watched. Blake Lively, Ryan Reynolds wife was on that show. 

On 7/28/2024 at 11:21 PM, Buzzetta said:

Ehhh

He sounds to me as if he’s doing a bit of a Jim Carrey impression as well. But, a good one, which works.

What sucked most about this film was learning that the famous popcorn bucket wouldn't be distributed in Canada as I walked up early thursday at my local seemingly participating cineplex. So, in other words, nothing that has to do with the film, which is great.

I laughed real hard at a few bits, especially the Ben Affleck joke. WOW

The bit at the end when Wolverine finally puts on the cowl was hit and miss for me. I've always wanted to see it, so that was a big hit. But the miss was the fact that I don't think the cowl was actually there, or at least it didn't look like it with the CGI overlay, which took me out of it. I know it's not there when he puts in on the first time, it's kind of cute how you can see Hugh Jackman miming putting on the cowl (you can see it below).

Another miss was the big fight with all the random x-men variants and the resistance team. That's the only fight with lots of shaky cam and quick cuts at times, where you can't follow the action at all times, and it's for sure due to not being able to get some of these special cameo actors for reshoots (if needed). So that was too bad.

But none of those issues are bad, just misses in a sea of wins. I read that the plot isn't much to go on and neither is the Cassandra Nova villain, but this film is a celebration of specific eras with some excellent character moments wrapped in a fun action comedy. The plot is just there to string all that together and it works for that. The film is very clear in what it prioritizes to entertain you and it's the most fun I've had at the cinema in a year (more than Godzilla x Kong, or Planet of the Apes or anything else).

EDIT: Oh and I did see it with my 6 and 8 year olds. While this movie has an insanely filthy mouth, any sex gag is verbal and not visual, so all the mature jokes just flew over the head of my kids. It was a well done balance. And the blood and gore is more cartoony than realistic so it also struck a good balance of childish/mature humour. Basically, I didn't regret bringing my kids to see the film and the whole family had a good time.

Edited by William-James88