• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A NEW Age? (after Modern era)

65 posts in this topic

those supporting the plastic age -- that would be like calling the Bronze age the mylar age

If you have the age sort of reference a time period or something significant to the way the books are made, that makes more sense. What happens after the production of the books can't be associated with the era since any book (for the most part) can be graded/encapsulated.

Doesn't Platinum Age go from 1897 to 1937? So when the modern age gets to 40 years, we can start thinking of starting a new age.

Typically, there should be new ages created is when there are significant changes to the content or production of the books. THe golden age was almost 20 years, silver a quick 10-15 (depending on how you define it). I see the Bronze as going from the early 1970s until the early 1980s. I can't define copper as I know nothing about it or any age going forward. But it seems like the Chromium age fits that glut of books in the 1990s well. The stuff from 2000 onward-- not sure what changes there other than it starts being mostly created via digital.

I like that we can sort of gauge a books era as that makes it easier to understand the comics of that time though

.....movie madness age (beginning 2005 with Batman Begins).

I’d originally thought about suggesting the Post Movie Speculation Implosion Age, and then shortened it.

I’d originally thought about suggesting the Post Movie Speculation Implosion Age, and then shortened it.

I certainly think the comic related movies have had a huge influence on sales over the last ten tears (thumbs u

Mostly a reader/collector of Modern era books, but these have been around for almost 25 years (since 1992, or 1985 per Wikipedia).

Copper age is barely a decade, and Bronze and Silver are a little bit more.

Are we to expect a new era/age after Modern? What would it be called?

There won't be a new age after modern. Modern will always be the most up to date age.

There will be a name for the age that comes after the Copper Age. It could end up being called the Millenial Age or something like that. 2c

I certainly think the comic related movies have had a huge influence on sales over the last ten tears (thumbs u

This seems to be mistaking comic collecting hobby trends versus the actual production of books. That is unless you are talking about the creation of books that take advantage of the movies coming out- which may be possible though I am not sure that qualifies as an age itself.

I agree that the current age should always be "Modern". Basically the "age you are living in".

I like the idea of continuing the "metal" theme...

Golden Age - (Pre 1956)

Silver Age - (1956 - 1969)

Bronze Age - (1970 - 1983)

Copper Age - (1984 - 1991)

Aluminum Age - (1991 to 1999) - Aluminum is an abundant, soft and shiny metal. Kinda aligns with the 'foil cover era'.

The 2000's saw a big change in comics and the industry. I think that would be a good and new start to another new age of comics. I feel like, in a way, the 2000's represent the return of comics after the horrible turn of the 90's.

January 2000 - Founding of CGC

July 2000 - Rise of the super hero movie. X-Men movie (yes, Blade came first but X-Men was a major super hero movie), then Spider-Man in 2002, etc.

October 2000 - Launch of Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimates

November 2001 - Justice League cartoon

2003 - Walking Dead

Other notable comic events: Identity Crisis, Civil War ( I know there were other perhaps better books but those were kind of big).

So, how about the...

Titanium Age (2000 - ???) - Very strong metal, resistant to corrosion...Comics kind of came back strong (increase in celeb writers, popular relaunches, improved and increased media presence)

lol I am totally thinking too much of this... :ohnoez:

Mostly a reader/collector of Modern era books, but these have been around for almost 25 years (since 1992, or 1985 per Wikipedia).

There is no such thing as an age after Modern. Current books are always Modern.

That there is no real, consistent acknowledgment of the post-Copper, pre-Modern age yet is ridiculous.

There won't be a new age after modern. Modern will always be the most up to date age.

There will be a name for the age that comes after the Copper Age. It could end up being called the Millenial Age or something like that. 2c

Modern CAN be an era. Both Art and Architecture have Modern eras. The term that typically is not associated with an age is Contemporary.

There is no such thing as an age after Modern. Current books are always Modern.

That there is no real, consistent acknowledgment of the post-Copper, pre-Modern age yet is ridiculous.

Modern CAN be an era. Both Art and Architecture have Modern eras. The term that typically is not associated with an age is Contemporary.

That's great. We'll be sure to call you when we're discussing "Fine Art" or Architecture rather than comics.