• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A NEW Age? (after Modern era)

65 posts in this topic

Is there any other hobby that classifies eras like we do? Baseball cards? Action figures? Coins?

Not like comics, I don't think. I could see sports card collectors following the eras of the sport (ie. Original 6 era), but that's about the sport, not the actual cards.

Mostly a reader/collector of Modern era books, but these have been around for almost 25 years (since 1992, or 1985 per Wikipedia).

Copper age is barely a decade, and Bronze and Silver are a little bit more.

Are we to expect a new era/age after Modern? What would it be called?

There is no such thing as an age after Modern. Current books are always Modern.

That there is no real, consistent acknowledgment of the post-Copper, pre-Modern age yet is ridiculous.

Mostly a reader/collector of Modern era books, but these have been around for almost 25 years (since 1992, or 1985 per Wikipedia).

There won't be a new age after modern. Modern will always be the most up to date age.

There will be a name for the age that comes after the Copper Age. It could end up being called the Millenial Age or something like that. 2c

Modern CAN be an era. Both Art and Architecture have Modern eras. The term that typically is not associated with an age is Contemporary.

That's great. We'll be sure to call you when we're discussing Fine Art or Architecture rather than comics.

Way to disassociate the hobby from actual art :facepalm:

There is no such thing as an age after Modern. Current books are always Modern.

That there is no real, consistent acknowledgment of the post-Copper, pre-Modern age yet is ridiculous.

There won't be a new age after modern. Modern will always be the most up to date age.

There will be a name for the age that comes after the Copper Age. It could end up being called the Millenial Age or something like that. 2c

Modern CAN be an era. Both Art and Architecture have Modern eras. The term that typically is not associated with an age is Contemporary.

That's great. We'll be sure to call you when we're discussing Fine Art or Architecture rather than comics.

Way to disassociate the hobby from actual art :facepalm:

But then they would have to admit they were wrong....and this is the internet.

1990s

2000s

2010s

Those are the names. Everything else is just verbal mastication.

Those are not "the names". The measurement of time is another construct of the human mind as our attempt to organize the world around us. It is not concrete and is no more valid than the other suggestions put forth. :sumo:

1990s

2000s

2010s

Those are not "the names". The measurement of time is another construct of the human mind as our attempt to organize the world around us. It is not concrete and is no more valid than the other suggestions put forth. :sumo:

Scenario:

I collect comics from the Scandium Age

What does that mean?

It means books from year X to year Y

Why didn't you just say that in the first place?

So... "Comics from the 1990s" is always a better name than any cheap metal plus the word "age" ever could be... because the explanation was always going to be time based.

But by all means, keep masticating as hard as you can... you might win a prize.

1990s

2000s

2010s

Scenario:

What does that mean?

So... "Comics from the 1990s" is always a better name than any cheap metal plus the word "age" ever could be... because the explanation was always going to be time based.

Or go blind...

1990s

2000s

2010s

Scenario:

What does that mean?

Can I get you on-board if we go with Valiant Age for 1992-2000? :foryou:

1990s

2000s

2010s

Scenario:

What does that mean?

Or go blind...

Funny Response........

I like what I've read so far. Maybe Plastic, maybe another type of metal.

In these forums we refer to Silver Age artist Joe Giella, for example, or Silver Age Flash.

It's not just with eBay.

So will Modern just keeping go on and on and on?

I think Modern and Current will continue to mean the latest releases. We would probably just have designations similar to how the 80s became the Copper Age after some time has passed.