• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHAT ARE THE 10 MOST HISTORICALLY IMPORTANT COMIC BOOKS FROM 1933

14 posts in this topic

in jerry weists book..the 100 most important comicbooks...he has tec # 38 listed as more important than tec#27...i am not joking ,take a look..robins 1st appearence is listed as more imporatant[on a historical level]than batmans 1st appearence?WHAT IS THAT BASED ON?

here is my list of the ten most important MODERN COMICBOOKS

1]action comics #1

2]detective comics #27

3 SUPERMAN #1

4]marvel comics #1

5]funnies on parade

6]famous funnies #1

7]new fun 1

8]batman#1

9]detective 38

10]all star #3

list based on from 1933 and up...please list historical importance,not monitary importance

Kid, are you trying to set a record for the most threads started in the GA section in a one week period? poke2.gif

I generally agree with your list. Probably could be displacement of one or two books, such as Detective #38, All-Star #3 and, dare I say, even Batman #1, depending upon the person and their perception of importance. No wrong or right answer.

Sorta like how the bottom 5 of the top 25 Universities frequently vary from year to year as one school drops out, then comes back in, and then drops out again.

in jerry weists book..the 100 most important comicbooks...he has tec # 38 listed as more important than tec#27...i am not joking ,take a look..robins 1st appearence is listed as more imporatant[on a historical level]than batmans 1st appearence?WHAT IS THAT BASED ON?

here is my list of the ten most important MODERN COMICBOOKS

1]action comics #1

2]detective comics #27

3 SUPERMAN #1

4]marvel comics #1

5]funnies on parade

6]famous funnies #1

7]new fun 1

8]batman#1

9]detective 38

10]all star #3

list based on from 1933 and up...please list historical importance,not monitary importance

Not a bad list. My only changes would be to move Marvel Comics 1 to #3, and All Star 3 to #4. First superhero team has got to rank higher than #10. Finally, I probably would not rank Batman #1 as high.

I find Detective #38 to be a bit of an odd case. Back in the early-mid seventies when Robin was still an inextricable part of Batman's identity, his first appearance seemed to rate as a secondary key at best, probably on par with Starman's first appearance. While the character had undoubtably been popular with the pre-teens that made up much of Batman's readership for the first 30 years, he has shown to be far less popular with older readers and collectors.

30 years later and Robin has changed identity a number of times and is an infrequent visitor to many Batman titles, but somehow his first appearance now rates as a top 10 book in historical terms. Curious.

30 years later and Robin has changed identity a number of times and is an infrequent visitor to many Batman titles, but somehow his first appearance now rates as a top 10 book in historical terms. Curious.

Very true, but this is only news to us comic phreaks. The popular culture generally has no idea that there was ever more than one Robin, or that Jason Todd was killed off, or that there have been two girl Robins (Dark Knight Returns and recently in the ongoing titles), or etc., etc. "Batman & Robin" remains an iconic image in the popular culture, regardless of whatever noodling around the latest creative team is doing.

To me, the importance of Detective 38 is simply that Robin was the first superhero side-kick, and love them or hate them, they were a fixture of superhero books for a long long time. Perhaps if there had been an overwhelmingly negative response to him, then the whole trend would have been blessedly stillborn, but it seems like every hero in the GA, and a few in the SA, had sidekicks.

To me, the importance of Detective 38 is simply that Robin was the first superhero side-kick, and love them or hate them, they were a fixture of superhero books for a long long time. Perhaps if there had been an overwhelmingly negative response to him, then the whole trend would have been blessedly stillborn, but it seems like every hero in the GA, and a few in the SA, had sidekicks.

True, true and as such has some historical importance - but more so than Wonder Woman or Archie? - I guess the arguement could be made that Robin kicked off a wave of sidekicks, kid and otherwise - but the ubiquity of sidekicks in superhero books was largely a phenomenon limited to the Golden Age, and one that interestingly never included Superman, without whom there would likely be no Golden Age.

Some I agree with but some not. For example, Action 1 yes. Detective 27 - maybe but Action 1 covers the continuing Superhero genre.

If we be making up a to-ten historical importance list, including the first Horror comic, the first Crime cmic, the first Romance comic and the first Science Fiction comic would be most aproropriate.

Yes and add in the fact that Batman's character changes completely with his introduction. The mean, moody, gun-totting, killing Batman last for only 11 issues and about 100 odd pages. After that, it's 40+ years of kindly, avuncular, smiley Batman and it's this character that heads for world domination.

On a historical level, this is very interesting. The early Detectives are highly sort after, but why did the character become so popular? I always thought it was more to do with his roster of villains, which were far better formed and more interesting than any other characters at the time. But how popular was Batman pre-Tec 38?

Obviously he must have been quite popular, but would that character have survived for 70 years in it's original incarnation? Can anyone shed any light on sales figures in the first year compared with the second year onwards?