• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Variants

59 posts in this topic

103/66833 = 0.15411 % 0.00154115482

335 / 32324 = 0.0103638164

Dumbazz, I multiplied it by 100 to get it in terms of percentage. You are so stupid and useless other than welcoming people to the boards.

1/4 = 0.25 = 25 % when multiplied by 100

Go back to math class, dufus

Dumbazz, I multiplied it by 100 to get it in terms of percentage. You are so stupid and useless other than welcoming people to the boards.

:cloud9:

:cloud9:

I win this battle. One of many. :acclaim:

How are you so sure "variant vaules will collapse" and if you believe it's an absolute, how long before the collector throws in the towel?

my opinions obviously, but:

Main reason, supply and demand. I am actually a big fan of variants and was into them as a completionist before the speculation fully took hold. I look at variants a lot and buy ones I like if they arent speculated on. When demand is not there, the prices are very reasonable, when demand is high there is not even CLOSE to enough in existence to meet demand. Prices go to the moon.

When the market as a whole collapses, modern variants will be the leading edge of the collapse. Even if only 1/4 to 1/2 of the demand went away, which is very reasonable, prices would fall drastically. I think 80-90% of the demand will go for 99% of them. 10-20% of collectors will stay in modern variants, and 1% of the books will retain decent value, but the vast majority will just get crushed.

Revival, Six Gun, Bedlam Sketch RRP variant, etc are good case studies of where most high value moderns and modern variants are going to end up long term once artificial demand is removed.

As for the when? imo, this is a debt fueled bubble, as with the rest of the economy. It's going to keep going as long as interest rates stay low. Different areas of collecting have already risen and crashed within the market (Image #1s for instance), but I think the whole market is going to eventually go at once. Golden Age through Modern Variants.

Everything will take a hit, but like stocks, blue chips will fare best and rise again, recently listed former penny stocks get de-listed and vaporized.

imo, the things that will fair the worst when the comic bubble finally pops:

Original Comic Art (non-cover, non-big two significant pages) will be a horror show.

Modern Variants, and all Image/Indie books not named Saga & WD

All non-celeb signed, and non-key SS books.

All non-superstar sketch SS books

All store variants/retailer variants/retailer grouped variants

All CGC-slabbed books where the 9.8+ is very valuable, but CGC 8.5 is worth the same as raw

All Low-Grade Silver Age Keys (especially IH #1, AF#15m etc)

All Restored/PLOD CGC books

All Incomplete or Ultra Low Grade Golden Age Superhero books

All the High Demand/High Value/Super Common Keys (NM98, IH181, SW1)

that's my thoughts on what's going to get rekt when the bubble finally pops

:popcorn:

I think I see where Doktor is going. Now that retailrs are 'protected', the 'collapse' would be loss of variant collectors. But if they leave, would stores then take on that additional risk with the variant issues, or just stop ordering them all together to avoid the risk?

Jerome

exactly right, the publishers and stores would still face a big hit in business, but that's different then the 90s where they were left with massive inventory, debt, and holding the bag.

In the current variant bubble, the publishers have managed to get the retailers in on the gimmick. 1:X variants cost the publisher AND the store, the same prices as a regular cover. The idea being, the store can sell the one limited variant for a high price and extremely high margin, and is covered from the danger of having to also buy X regular covers. The variant pays for all of the order (and maybe even profit above that if its a good one), and then all the other regular issues the store sells are pure profit and free to them so it doesnt matter if they cant get rid of them all.

Unlike last time where stores ate it when the bubble collapsed, here the collectors will be the ones who eat the biggest losses as the variant values collapse. Stores might still lose a lot of customers but they wont be on the hook for big inventories. In the 90s, the new stores ate those big losses on inventory, and also did it on comics redit from distributors which is why the distributors all went bankrupt as well and only Diamond is left.

The 1:X variants protect the publisher, distributor, and store from inventory and credit risks, while distributing all the risk to the collectors who buy the variants.

That is assuming stores can actually sell the variants at hugely inflated prices. For 1:100 ratio variant at 60% discount and $3.99 cover, you'd need combined sales of $239.40 of variants and regular covers in order to break even. The lower the store's volume (ergo, lower discount), the more they'd need to sell just to break even nevermind make a profit.

Ratios work out out for large volume stores such as Midtown Comics, etc. Perhaps not so much for a smaller LCS.

That said, I'm somewhat annoyed the Thunderbolts #7 Checchetto 1:25 variant was featured on CBI. I pre-ordered mine from DCBS for $12 but it's still not in my shipping list (whereas the regular cover already is) so I'm thinking DCBS may not have enough stock. When I checked ebay last night, the lone copy was already going for $34 on auction. :facepalm:

Thanks CBT for taking the time to answer my question. Your predictions are interesting.

No prob, just my opinion, but I think we probably have a couple years left still before the spoon hits the fan. Stuff that was valuable before the bubble will do the best. Stuff that has gone up a lot during the bubble, will be most vulnerable to decline when it pops.

in 1990 I walked into my LCS and saw on the new comic shelf several different VARIANT covers to the McFarlane Spider-Man #1 and I closed my file and took a 14 year hiatus from collecting comics.

Call them whatever you want, foil covers, gimmick, they were variants.

I think today is worse, and is only being sustained by current movie popularity.

In the direct market, there were 4 total covers to Spider-Man 1. 1st print green bagged one. A few weeks later a silver 2nd print. A few weeks later a gold 3rd print . And the retailer platinum one that came out a month or so later to reward retailers. They were released over the span of like 2 months.

Sorry, but reprints aren't variants for the simple fact that they're not released at the same time. They're reprints. Even if they have a different cover or a re-colored cover.

I recall Spidey 1 had a green & silver versions of the first print, some slight variation in the price box on one or both copies depending on whether they were bagged when sold. I always understood that the gold one is the only second print that came out a few weeks later.

I don't know a thing about the platinum, nor do I care about the much later chromium reprint.

I could be wrong I never paid much attention to the book myself but what you're saying here is totally new to me.

Now, I'm not 1000% certain of this, as sometimes my memory fails me, but I'm 99% sure that the unbagged #1 green was the newsstand. Some direct market stores carried it. I don't know if they ordered it from newsstand distributors or if they bought up inventory from the local grocery store & stocked it on the shelf or what, but regardless... 99% sure it was the newsstand. And equally certain that the silver version is the 2nd print & the gold is the 3rd print. I can check my raws when I get home & look at the indicia to verify, but almost certain.

That is assuming stores can actually sell the variants at hugely inflated prices. For 1:100 ratio variant at 60% discount and $3.99 cover, you'd need combined sales of $239.40 of variants and regular covers in order to break even. The lower the store's volume (ergo, lower discount), the more they'd need to sell just to break even nevermind make a profit.

Ratios work out out for large volume stores such as Midtown Comics, etc. Perhaps not so much for a smaller LCS.

Small guys generally pre-sell the big variants to key customers, or online, or they wont order them.

Also, that's why the 1:X variants are staggered.

They will have 2x 1:50 4x 1:25 and 10x 1:10 as well to make sure they are in the green. The 1:1 regular covers are essentially being "Channel Stuffed"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_stuffing

Small guys generally pre-sell the big variants to key customers, or online, or they wont order them.

Also, that's why the 1:X variants are staggered.

They will have 2x 1:50 4x 1:25 and 10x 1:10 as well to make sure they are in the green. The 1:1 regular covers are essentially being "Channel Stuffed"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_stuffing

Yep on small guys not ordering super high ratio chase variants. I've noticed even DCBS doesn't offer some of the higher ratio chase variants for less popular titles.

What's typical pricing on the various ratio for chase variants anyway? I think DCBS, it's 1:10 $6 and 1:25 $12. My LCS seems to price them similarly.

in 1990 I walked into my LCS and saw on the new comic shelf several different VARIANT covers to the McFarlane Spider-Man #1 and I closed my file and took a 14 year hiatus from collecting comics.

I think today is worse, and is only being sustained by current movie popularity.

In the direct market, there were 4 total covers to Spider-Man 1. 1st print green bagged one. A few weeks later a silver 2nd print. A few weeks later a gold 3rd print . And the retailer platinum one that came out a month or so later to reward retailers. They were released over the span of like 2 months.

Sorry, but reprints aren't variants for the simple fact that they're not released at the same time. They're reprints. Even if they have a different cover or a re-colored cover.

I recall Spidey 1 had a green & silver versions of the first print, some slight variation in the price box on one or both copies depending on whether they were bagged when sold. I always understood that the gold one is the only second print that came out a few weeks later.

I don't know a thing about the platinum, nor do I care about the much later chromium reprint.

I could be wrong I never paid much attention to the book myself but what you're saying here is totally new to me.

Now, I'm not 1000% certain of this, as sometimes my memory fails me, but I'm 99% sure that the unbagged #1 green was the newsstand. Some direct market stores carried it. I don't know if they ordered it from newsstand distributors or if they bought up inventory from the local grocery store & stocked it on the shelf or what, but regardless... 99% sure it was the newsstand. And equally certain that the silver version is the 2nd print & the gold is the 3rd print. I can check my raws when I get home & look at the indicia to verify, but almost certain.

Green and Silver were both first prints released on the same day. I bought both at my LCS (Direct Market) the day of release.

--also, the newsstand version of the green cover does have a barcode replacing the Spidey Head on the DM. I believe the silver ink was pitched as a premium/deluxe version and was only available to the Direct Market.

I do think the sketch cover SS books are interesting.

Sketch covers should not be considered variants as they are essentially original art. The detail on some sketch covers rival full blown 11x17s commissions these days in terms of detail and quality.

I do think the sketch cover SS books are interesting.

Sketch covers should not be considered variants as they are essentially original art. The detail on some sketch covers rival full blown 11x17s commissions these days in terms of detail and quality.

Something unique being done to them after distribution doesn't change the fact that they are "blank" variants.

Green and Silver were both first prints released on the same day. I bought both at my LCS (Direct Market) the day of release.

--also, the newsstand version of the green cover does have a barcode replacing the Spidey Head on the DM. I believe the silver ink was pitched as a premium/deluxe version and was only available to the Direct Market.

All I know is that when I went in to my LCS they had 4 different versions of that Spider-Man #1 for sale.

I hated variants then, and the feeling is the same today. I go to the LCS and see all the different covers and I have no idea if I have the issue or not because there are to many covers. It doesn't make me want to buy the books.

Serious question... besides the multiple covers for X-Men 1 and the different cards in the bags for X-Force 1, what "variants" were there in the 90's? Gimmicks, sure... they were all over the place. Chrome or hologram covers of this (because Chrome was cool so everyone would want it, right?) random issue #2 or #17 or whatever of some book to spike sales? Sure. Those were an issue, because they were based on the faulty assumption that the gimmick would retain value.

But what ACTUAL variants (as in, there's a regular version and there's a different, read: variant version as well) were there that contributed to the 90's crash?

I ask because I just have never understood this narrative. I always felt that the Heroes World debacle, the endless missed shipped dates on superstar creator Image titles, the void of talent left at the Big 2, and a few other serious problems were much bigger contributors to the 90's crash than a handful of variants that existed in the 90's.

Collector's editions, Foil Editions, etc etc

Remember, the print-runs dwarfed everything we have today. You dont need10 variants to sell more copies, when a single variant can add several hundred thousand to the print run.

In the 90s and now, variants dont make the publishers extra money as a more expensive 'product', the publisher makse the same from each book, regardless of the cover. The only goal of variants is to move as many "units" as possible, with each unit being of equal cost and value to the publisher.

In the 90s, when demand ended, stores were left with unsellable inventory, and they just got out of comics as quickly as they had gotten in (remember number of stores surged on the way up, collapsed on the way down)

In the current variant bubble, the publishers have managed to get the retailers in on the gimmick. 1:X variants cost the publisher AND the store, the same prices as a regular cover. The idea being, the store can sell the one limited variant for a high price and extremely high margin, and is covered from the danger of having to also buy X regular covers. The variant pays for all of the order (and maybe even profit above that if its a good one), and then all the other regular issues the store sells are pure profit and free to them so it doesnt matter if they cant get rid of them all.

Unlike last time where stores ate it when the bubble collapsed, here the collectors will be the ones who eat the biggest losses as the variant values collapse. Stores might still lose a lot of customers but they wont be on the hook for big inventories. In the 90s, the new stores ate those big losses on inventory, and also did it on credit from distributors which is why the distributors all went bankrupt as well and only Diamond is left.

The 1:X variants protect the publisher, distributor, and store from inventory and credit risks, while distributing all the risk to the collectors who buy the variants.

Exactly the point I was hinting at. The 90's didn't have "variants", they had gimmicks on random issues to bump sales, but left the retailers on the hook if things didn't sell.

The modern variant model is completely different, in that the retailers can make up the cost of most of the inventory that allowed them to buy the variants on the sale of the variants alone. So between the pull list copies sold & the variants sold at a mark-up, all the extra inventory is essentially pure profit when/if sold. And any retailer with a good ordering model can do no worse than break even on most of their orders just by selling the variants & their pull list copies, so that even if the rest of the order sits on the shelf, they're not sitting on expensive inventory.

But those "collectors editions" or "foil editions" were the ONLY editions of 95% of those books. It was a #1 Collectors Item gimmick, not a variant. The foil books were the only version of that book, unless you count newsstand. Sure, there were a handful of them that were released with a foil variant and a regular version, but looking only at the direct market, probably 95% of the books were gimmicks, not variants. And very few of those books that had an actual variant were big titles (X-Men 1's 5 covers, X-Force 1's identical covers with different cards in the bag, and a few others)

95% in favour of enhanced only? Not a chance. Not even close. Sure, many issues had only enhanced covers, but many, many issues had both enhanced and regular covers.

Serious question... besides the multiple covers for X-Men 1 and the different cards in the bags for X-Force 1, what "variants" were there in the 90's? Gimmicks, sure... they were all over the place. Chrome or hologram covers of this (because Chrome was cool so everyone would want it, right?) random issue #2 or #17 or whatever of some book to spike sales? Sure. Those were an issue, because they were based on the faulty assumption that the gimmick would retain value.

But what ACTUAL variants (as in, there's a regular version and there's a different, read: variant version as well) were there that contributed to the 90's crash?

I ask because I just have never understood this narrative. I always felt that the Heroes World debacle, the endless missed shipped dates on superstar creator Image titles, the void of talent left at the Big 2, and a few other serious problems were much bigger contributors to the 90's crash than a handful of variants that existed in the 90's.

Remember, the print-runs dwarfed everything we have today. You dont need10 variants to sell more copies, when a single variant can add several hundred thousand to the print run.

In the 90s and now, variants dont make the publishers extra money as a more expensive 'product', the publisher makse the same from each book, regardless of the cover. The only goal of variants is to move as many "units" as possible, with each unit being of equal cost and value to the publisher.

In the 90s, when demand ended, stores were left with unsellable inventory, and they just got out of comics as quickly as they had gotten in (remember number of stores surged on the way up, collapsed on the way down)

Unlike last time where stores ate it when the bubble collapsed, here the collectors will be the ones who eat the biggest losses as the variant values collapse. Stores might still lose a lot of customers but they wont be on the hook for big inventories. In the 90s, the new stores ate those big losses on inventory, and also did it on credit from distributors which is why the distributors all went bankrupt as well and only Diamond is left.

Exactly the point I was hinting at. The 90's didn't have "variants", they had gimmicks on random issues to bump sales, but left the retailers on the hook if things didn't sell.

The modern variant model is completely different, in that the retailers can make up the cost of most of the inventory that allowed them to buy the variants on the sale of the variants alone. So between the pull list copies sold & the variants sold at a mark-up, all the extra inventory is essentially pure profit when/if sold. And any retailer with a good ordering model can do no worse than break even on most of their orders just by selling the variants & their pull list copies, so that even if the rest of the order sits on the shelf, they're not sitting on expensive inventory.

But those "collectors editions" or "foil editions" were the ONLY editions of 95% of those books. It was a #1 Collectors Item gimmick, not a variant. The foil books were the only version of that book, unless you count newsstand. Sure, there were a handful of them that were released with a foil variant and a regular version, but looking only at the direct market, probably 95% of the books were gimmicks, not variants. And very few of those books that had an actual variant were big titles (X-Men 1's 5 covers, X-Force 1's identical covers with different cards in the bag, and a few others)

95% in favour of enhanced only? Not a chance. Not even close. Sure, many issues had only enhanced covers, but many, many issues had both enhanced and regular covers.

Huh? I never said anyone was in favor of anything. I said that 95% of the books with "enhanced" covers released didn't have a corresponding non-enhanced version released in the direct market.

But please kindly note some of them. Because outside of Marvel's short run of their "deluxe" and standard phase (which had no change to the exterior of the product except for the "deluxe" label near the price box, and a different paper quality for the inside), I can probably rattle off 20 issues with "enhanced" covers that didn't have a respective non-enhanced cover that was released to the direct market for every example you give of a book released in the 90's that had an "enhanced" variant that corresponded to a non-enhanced regular edition.

But please keep the examples restricted to the direct market only. I'm not talking about newsstand vs direct market differences. That's a whole other topic.

Huh? I never said anyone was in favor of anything. I said that 95% of the books with "enhanced" covers released didn't have a corresponding non-enhanced version released in the direct market.

But please kindly note some of them. Because outside of Marvel's short run of their "deluxe" and standard phase (which had no change to the exterior of the product except for the "deluxe" label near the price box, and a different paper quality for the inside), I can probably rattle off 20 issues with "enhanced" covers that didn't have a respective non-enhanced cover that was released to the direct market for every example you give of a book released in the 90's that had an "enhanced" variant that corresponded to a non-enhanced regular edition.

But please keep the examples restricted to the direct market only. I'm not talking about newsstand vs direct market differences. That's a whole other topic.

Sure, we can ignore Marvel's "Deluxe" mutant phase for the purposes of this comparison.

Action Comics 687, 695

Adventures of Superman 500, 501, 505

Amazing Spider-Man 388, 390, 394, 400

Batman 500, 515, 530-532, 550

Batman: Shadow of the Bat 35

Detective Comics 675, 682, 700

Flash (v.2) 80, 100

Green Lantern (v.3) 81

Guy Gardner: Warrior 29

Incredible Hulk 418, 425

Robin 1, 14

Robin II (The Joker's Wild) 1-4

Robin III: Cry of the Huntress 1-6

Spectacular Spider-Man 213, 217, 223, 225, 229

Spider-Man 1, 46, 50, 51, 57

Superman (v.2) 75, 78, 82, 100, 123

Superman: The Man of Steel 22, 30

Superman: The Wedding Album

Uncanny X-Men 316, 317, 325, 350, 360

Web of Spider-Man 113, 117, 125

Wonder Woman (v.2) 100

X-Factor 100, 106

X-Force 38, 50

X-Men (v.2) 1, 36, 37, 45, 50, 80

This is obviously nowhere near a complete list, but if you can give me a list of 1400 enhanced-only issues, I'll actually look and find some more. :baiting:

Here, I'll get you started:

Amazing Spider-Man 365, 375

Excalibur 71

Incredible Hulk 393, 400

Uncanny X-Men 304

Wolverine 75

X-Factor 92

X-Force 25

X-Men (v.2) 25

X-O Manowar 0

and don't forget Lobo 1 :shy:

lobo1.jpg