• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are any of the new 52 #1's worth picking up at this point?

41 posts in this topic

I don't know if this has been asked but are any of the new 52 #1's worth picking up? Will any of them retain their value long term. I am not meaning as investing in them but take for example the batman 52 #1, I love the cover and would like to own it but is it worth owning it when you can buy the batman rebirth #1? I don't have unlimited funds no room for all these comics, so I am trying to decide what is the long term better one to own?

Batman is probably the only series with long term strength. I would think there will be a dip in interest for it in short to medium term. Anyone priced out that didnt collect it at the time, is probably entering a good buying opportunity phase.

A few years from now, it will likely start to rise again and hold value longer term like some of the Marvel series that have aged well have started to.

Obviously its a guess, but I would say, 5+ years out it will start to become difficult to get and several of the series will start to become strong must haves. Batman clearly will always be the top new52 series, and buying it when interest is looking elsewhere is a good way to get in on it if missed out.

Is Suicide Squad #1 when Harley Quinn joined?

The SS #1 cover does seem to be holding some value, and may even get one more mild spike if a "solo" Harley movie is announced. But it has lost about 25% off of its high point. I think it will fade in value over time, but other than Batman #1 is the only book with a chance in holding value from the new 52.

So much modern value seems to be derived from covers at this point as opposed to key appearances, new characters etc. This value is much more volatile. SS #1 is a very good cover of a very very hot character. She will cool over time, but will forever be a DC staple at this point. If you get it for a reasonable price, it is still worth picking up.

I have been discussing/debating this with a couple of collector friends since the beginning of the year. The consensus is that prices should dip short term, but since several of the titles actually started out as good reads, there will likely be demand longer term for some them as a collector can piece together a run relatively easily.

Batman will be in demand due to the Snyder/Capullo run. Prices may dip short term, but the entire run is such a good read that it will likely perform similar to Snyder's Black Mirror run at the end of Detective vol 1.

Some of the other Bat-titles, as well as Harley and SS will likely dip and then stabilize/slowly increase over time.

Some of the special/variant covers are showing increased demand. At shows this year I have had more people asking for the first series/run of Bombshell covers and the first run of the 3D lenticular covers than I did a year or two ago.

Batman is solid, but I doubt you really needed a recommendation to find out it was a thing :)

A number of the New 52 Dark titles were great to good, including:

Swamp Thing

Animal Man

Justice League Dark (after a shaky start, it got fun)

Dial H (a personal favorite)

Phantom Stranger

None of these are worth much, but they're good books, so ... from that perspective I don't know if it's what you're after.

Batman is solid, but I doubt you really needed a recommendation to find out it was a thing :)

A number of the New 52 Dark titles were great to good, including:

Swamp Thing

Animal Man

Justice League Dark (after a shaky start, it got fun)

Dial H (a personal favorite)

Phantom Stranger

None of these are worth much, but they're good books, so ... from that perspective I don't know if it's what you're after.

Animal Man is a MUST READ ! Just fantastic writing from Jeff Lemire.

I have been discussing/debating this with a couple of collector friends since the beginning of the year. The consensus is that prices should dip short term, but since several of the titles actually started out as good reads, there will likely be demand longer term for some them as a collector can piece together a run relatively easily.

Batman will be in demand due to the Snyder/Capullo run. Prices may dip short term, but the entire run is such a good read that it will likely perform similar to Snyder's Black Mirror run at the end of Detective vol 1.

+++1

I agree with this completely.

I have a lot of these I got out of the cheap-o boxes...I hope they don't fall down the Ultimate Spiderman/Ultimate X-Men hole. I bought them because they looked cool and what not.

The Batman books? The early issues will likely retain some value over time, as stated, they're pretty good, they're Batman, so in theory, they should be collectible.

I have a lot of these I got out of the cheap-o boxes...I hope they don't fall down the Ultimate Spiderman/Ultimate X-Men hole. I bought them because they looked cool and what not.

They are the main continuity, so hopefully should be stronger. But even something like Ultimate Spiderman that was popular, should have a renaissance eventually one day.

I love love love the first story arc of Batman dealing with the Court of Owls. Between the creation of an actual cool new villain (gasp) and the beloved duo of Capullo and Snyder it seems like those books should be a solid investment. I would love to have the sketch covers of those.

I had a number of the #1's when they were at their peak and I bought them all at LCS's out of boxes and occasionally off a wall. They weren't very expensive with the exception of Batman and Superman. I traded or sold them all except the Batmam because I loved the first 40ish issues.

I wouldn't buy any of them if you are looking to hold value. They were hugely abundant and people hoarded them in droves. They will never really be worth much and honestly probably already peaked in most cases. Additionally key titles like Batman are really overpriced at current because people are moving in to Rebirth and those stuck with copies are trying to recover as much as possible (like acquisition fees, shipping costs and slabbing fees).

If you liked new 52 and appreciate the books, you should be able to get almost any #1 book from the series raw in NM for $3-5 or less (except maybe Batman and Superman - which you probably shouldn't pay more than $10-15 each). If you are looking for value to appreciate or get an ROI, I would move on.

Realistically modern books are extremely volatile and their window of value is small. You really have to get in early and sell once interest peaks or you end up paying way too much. The current variant craze is a good example - hundreds or even lows thousands of a specific book may only be printed in total but they repeat the process for the same title +20 times. How special is a limited print variant cover when there are 19 other variant covers of the same issue? - the answer: not special at all and limited resale value within 6 months.

Just my POV.

I wouldn't buy any of them if you are looking to hold value. They were hugely abundant and people hoarded them in droves. They will never really be worth much and honestly probably already peaked in most cases. Additionally key titles like Batman are really overpriced at current because people are moving in to Rebirth and those stuck with copies are trying to recover as much as possible (like acquisition fees, shipping costs and slabbing fees).

If you liked new 52 and appreciate the books, you should be able to get almost any #1 book from the series raw in NM for $3-5 or less (except maybe Batman and Superman - which you probably shouldn't pay more than $10-15 each). If you are looking for value to appreciate or get an ROI, I would move on.

Just my POV.

I wouldn't completely rule out Justice League Dark #1, though it may be the exception that proves the rule.

Just my POV.

I wouldn't completely rule out Justice League Dark #1, though it may be the exception that proves the rule.

Sure, but that is a new title with a first appearance of a brand new team (with movie speculation). You are right it is likely the exception that proves the rule.

Good add!