• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The best movie this year?

40 posts in this topic

Hell or High Water so far. Not a complicated film just very well done.

I laughed quite a bit in there with Jeff Bridges insulting his partner regularly.

just watched it. excellent movie, and one of the years' best, but i cringed every time he made racist quips.

Yup, it was a great American movie. The performances were beyond excellent. Jeff Bridges and Ben Foster especially. Gil Birmingham practically stole the movie as well. Katy Mixon felt totally miscast for her brief scenes though, imho. The movie just worked on so many levels, with the fight between good and evil and the line in between, you can't get from most movies showcased in this funny book movie section. Four stars.

I laughed quite a bit in there with Jeff Bridges insulting his partner regularly.

just watched it. excellent movie, and one of the years' best, but i cringed every time he made racist quips.

i think this was a set up for the scene in which Alberto _________ and Marcus reacts by ________________. For me, this scene is the one which garners a Best Supporting Actor nomination for Jeff Bridges.

i think this was a set up for the scene in which Alberto _________ and Marcus reacts by ________________. For me, this scene is the one which garners a Best Supporting Actor nomination for Jeff Bridges.

The subtle part where Alberto smiles, when Marcus leaves the hotel room, summed up their relationship for me, before that powerful scene with Bridges in the desert. Bridges is a lock for a nom (wouldn't be surprised if Foster gets one too, for his wildcard role.)

That was the perfect final scene for a Western. :applause:

Ok, I know I may be on the wrong site for talking up this movie.

I saw Moana Saturday.

It was AMAZING. Absolutely my favorite movie of the year. And, I mean that seriously. %100. Moving, gorgeous, funny, suspenseful. All that. Disney at it's absolute finest.

Naw bro, Moana was legit amazeballs. Nailed everything it was going for (though I'm no expert on islander culture and mythology).

I'm not sure it was better (though Moana's animation was better) than Zootopia though, which I thought was ultra clever. I could see someone choosing Moana for the music, superior animation, or enjoyment of the Rock.

Though I admit I haven't seen too many 'artsy films' this year like Moonlight or American Honey.

I will also say that if you are young and living in Colorado (or most other western states), you should enjoy your state-given rights and watch DR Strange in 3D Imax. I can't imagine being a better movie experience than that.

My Favs:

1) Outlaws and Angels best of the year, I can't recommend this movie enough.

2) Don't Breathe

3) Hell Or High Water

Honorable Mention:

Moonlight

Don't Waste Your Time:

Hail, Caesar!

Haven't seen Moana yet, but that's a 'rental' in my book (shrug) R1 isn't out yet, but maybe that will take the 3rd spot, man I hope it's good.

Jerome

I don't know how anyone can begin to answer this question, given that the hard-core Oscar bait is only just beginning to be released.

The best movie I've seen so far this year:

Arrival.

Ones I plan to see that may best it:

Silence

Hell or High Water

Fences

La La Land

Manchester By the Sea

Paterson

Also, I've read the -script to Passengers and while I'm _really_ excited to see it on the big screen, there's no way I see it breaking into even the top 3 given the list above.

p.s. As much as I loved The Nice Guys, it paled on every level compared to Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

I don't know how anyone can begin to answer this question, given that the hard-core Oscar bait is only just beginning to be released.

Arrival.

Silence

Hell or High Water

Fences

La La Land

Manchester By the Sea

Paterson

Also, I've read the -script to Passengers and while I'm _really_ excited to see it on the big screen, there's no way I see it breaking into even the top 3 given the list above.

p.s. As much as I loved The Nice Guys, it paled on every level compared to Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

I just realised I am unqualified to answer this question as I had to google every movie mentioned in this post. :sorry:

Jim

Arrival.

Silence

Hell or High Water

Fences

La La Land

Manchester By the Sea

Paterson

I just realised I am unqualified to answer this question as I had to google every movie mentioned in this post. :sorry:

Jim

Don't worry about it, the answer for Canadians is ALWAYS 'Strange Brew', regardless of what year it is.

You should work on that

You should work on that

um...no. nobody should hear racist quips and think "that's cool."

You should work on that

um...no. nobody should hear racist quips and think "that's cool."

Personal relationships with people allows for some good "ribbing" even on a race level. I have solid friendships with people that are not my "color". We shred each other with far worse and have a great bellylaugh at each others expenses. Its called the real world without "PC" getting in the way. Lighten up my friend! (thumbs u

Of the movies mentioned on this thread, the ones that stood out to me were.

Hell or Highwater & Moana & Deadpool all for different reasons, but all really good.

I have a feeling that I will really like "Manchester by the Sea" and "Rogue One" when I see them.

I hope "The Founder" will be good because I have a small part in the movie.

I saw LA LA Land yesterday. If you loved Whiplash (as my wife did), you will loved this one EVEN MORE, she was very emotionally moved.

The colors are big and the dance numbers are impressive, you should probably see this one in the theater, though some of the camera work is dizzying.

A dazzling movie. Not perfect, and not the best of the year to me, but the performances are incredible. I thought Emma Stone was noticeably better than Gosling, but he played all his own piano, that's something.