• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STOLEN BOOK ALERT....... VA Comicon, December 10

34 posts in this topic

Some work in pairs-one to distract, one to steal.

That was the modus operandi of the people who stole an Amazing Fantasy #15 from an acquaintance of mine in Orange County a couple of years ago. The thief handed the comic off to somebody in the crowd, and then when people ran after him and caught him, he didn't have the comic and played dumb.

This is how the Windy City Cap 1 was stolen from me in 1986. I got the guy but he had already handed it off to his accomplice...

I got the book back 8 years later though.

It almost makes me want to go to cons looking for thieves. They have several tells-standing near merchandise looking around constantly to see if anyone is watching them is one of them.

And of course the obvious physical signs like twirling their waxed mustaches or ringing their hands while thinking of their next plot.

Its standard loss prevention-shoppers look at merchandise, shoplifters look for anyone watching them.

It almost makes me want to go to cons looking for thieves. They have several tells-standing near merchandise looking around constantly to see if anyone is watching them is one of them.

And of course the obvious physical signs like twirling their waxed mustaches or ringing their hands while thinking of their next plot.

Its standard loss prevention-shoppers look at merchandise, shoplifters look for anyone watching them.

hm

One thing that made this very hard to do at this con was the very tight space it was held in.

To be there it almost felt like it was being held in a coat closet.

One thing that made this very hard to do at this con was the very tight space it was held in.

To be there it almost felt like it was being held in a coat closet.

Agree. I also attended and there was limited ability to move around at times. Couple that though, with a dash of chaos and all it would take is a simple distraction and hand-off. Multiple exits, including the front for guests, and you're outta there. I was surprised by some dealers and just how much inventory they were attempting to keep an eye on.

Hope the books are returned. Donald is an A+ seller (thumbs u