• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's better for sellers - Heritage Sundays or CLINK Focused

30 posts in this topic

If it is a lower-demand piece, start an auction at the lowest you would be willing to take for the piece.

Wondering - Did you try this method successfully yourself? Or is this a theory?

Asking because, point of this thread was to see what worked for others.

I would strongly recommend against that option. If you want to run an auction, run a true auction .99 no reserve. If you want a fixed price for a piece do your research and price it where you want. It is a huge turnoff to most buyers when you have overpriced starting bid auctions, especially when they are listed over and over again. (Often times because the seller is to cheap to pay ebays fixed price insertion fee) Also moderate(below fmv but at a sizable price) will not generate the same bidding action in general as a.99 cent start price.

I would recommend clink if you want auctions with low risk/zero chance of becoming my scammed don't have to deal with shipping etc. List on the boards and then eBay if you have the price you want for the item in mind and don't mind shipping and the low but known risks of selling on eBay.

Yes, you run the risk of it not selling at your minimum bid and then needing to relist at a lower starting price, which might in turn make the listing stale. However, the same eyes might not be on it at the relist. Don't assume everyone is watching all of the time.

Also, the people who would buy a bargain page at $5-15 would probably also buy it at $50. So, risking a sale at those lower dollar amounts for OA doesn't really make sense.

The only time to run $1 start auctions is if you need to sell through in 1 week on low-demand items.

But everyone has their own strategies for ebay selling.

The question is how quickly you want to sell. In my experience it you have modern low end pages selling with no reserve on either Comiclink or eBay you're risking giving them away. I think eBay 30 day buy it now listings with make an offer option are the best bet for low end pieces. Set a realistic price and you just have to get one interested person to see it, with no reserve you need two or more people to drive up the price. You may have to relist a couple of times but I'd rather not sell something at all than feel like I'm giving things away. I had comparable low end panel pages sell on eBay via buy it now/best offer for triple what they sold for on Comiclink with no reserve.

I'm not looking to highjack this thread but is consignment of art with a dealer an option. I'd be interested in hearing about any ones experience with this . Did the artwork sell quickly? Was payment made in a timely fashion?Was one dealer better than another to consign with?Any thoughts?

is consignment of art with a dealer an option. I'd be interested in hearing about any ones experience with this . Did the artwork sell quickly? Was payment made in a timely fashion?Was one dealer better than another to consign with?Any thoughts?

The original question was about selling average low end pieces and since dealers take a percentage of the sale price they're not going to bother taking on cheapo pages.

is consignment of art with a dealer an option. I'd be interested in hearing about any ones experience with this . Did the artwork sell quickly? Was payment made in a timely fashion?Was one dealer better than another to consign with?Any thoughts?

The original question was about selling average low end pieces and since dealers take a percentage of the sale price they're not going to bother taking on cheapo pages.

Some dealers will take pieces valued under $500, but will charge a higher consignment % or fee to make it worth their time.

I'm not looking to highjack this thread but is consignment of art with a dealer an option. I'd be interested in hearing about any ones experience with this . Did the artwork sell quickly? Was payment made in a timely fashion?Was one dealer better than another to consign with?Any thoughts?

Good question, I've never attempted it or inquired, what percentage do they take generally? On average.

I think some dealers are great to work with in that they have a database of buyers along with a reputation that puts the piece in front of the right set of eyes.

I think if you discuss what price you want for the piece and what value they think they can get for it (often times they can either command higher pricing than you anticipated or will bring you back to earth if you have an unrealistic pie in the sky value to your possession), simply tell them the minimum of what you'd like to "net" from the sale since it's not an auction but a fixed price, and leave the commission and wiggle room to them to then really "earn" their % and never worry about the money you pay them, only concern yourself with the money they're able to put in your pocket. They may price it higher and be allowed to negotiate and take offers that still nets you what you want.

I think consignment %'s often depend on the piece, if it's fast selling or high ticket value. I'd imagine it would range from 5% to 15% on avg, as most commissions for middle-men / referrals command. But again, I'd be less concerned with their percentage as long as you discuss what you want to net from the sale.

Make sure if you hand over (or mail) the piece to a dealer to document everything and get photographic proof or a signature to what they're accepting and the minimum sales price, so there's never confusion or hearsay on what they have and what to sell it for.