• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's better for sellers - Heritage Sundays or CLINK Focused

30 posts in this topic

Hi,

Looking for opinions from folks who have sold on Heritage Sunday Auctions and/or Clink Focused Auctions.

Both are generally for average pages/art - wondering what your experiences have been like as sellers on these?

Any other thoughts to consider?

Is selling on these boards/CAF a better idea? Looking to move some items ranging $100--700

I sold over the last few months thru Heritage Sunday Auctions. The final hammer ended up 15% under what I expected. My expectations were very conservative. I was very disappointed. Don't plan on using Heritage Sunday Auctions in the future. Not sure about Heritage Signature Auctions.

you have huge risk on either venue. I had many dismal results on Clink but things tended to average out in the end as there are also some winners. What I saw as $100-$200 items sold for $50 and under in some cases.

Hi,

Looking for opinions from folks who have sold on Heritage Sunday Auctions and/or Clink Focused Auctions.

Both are generally for average pages/art - wondering what your experiences have been like as sellers on these?

Is selling on these boards/CAF a better idea? Looking to move some items ranging $100--700

Personally, you need to do your own research on the specific material you own.

If it's prestige, although one person's trash is another person's treasure.

If choosing between Heritage Sunday Auctions and ComicLink Focused Auctions, I'd go with ComicLink, because there's a bit more of a spotlight on their efforts over the routinely weekly scheduled Heritage one.

Heritage charges a buyer's premium, so when "junk" is being sold, there's a minimum BP that a customer has to endure and add onto the cost of their order, on top of shipping.

ComicLink charges buyers no premium, so a person could be motivated to bargain hunt knowing that there's not added costs tacked on that increases the overall acquisition cost.

As a seller, don't get fixated on commission fees. Generally the difference between 5% and 15% isn't that much on low ticket items, and truth be told, each auction house "earns" their keep to a degree, which at times is a matter of perspective.

I think from a customer service standpoint, ComicLink is the best, and Doug is a truly helpful professional over there, providing guidance, including declining some consignments if he feels they won't command prices to customer expectations, to avoid disappointment.

ComicLink is known for handling more modern pieces better than Heritage, which tends to attract the older collector with older material. If you have Wally Wood, Frank Frazetta, and other names from the 60's and before, Heritage may be a good place. If you have material in the 70's and 80's, like Miller, Byrne, Perez, etc - it's a near coin flip, but I still favor ComicLink. If you have any material from the 90's to today like Lee, Liefeld, Campbell, Turner, Silvestri, etc you'd be better off with ComicLink over Heritage.

Heritage's Signature Auctions, the "floor" live auctions, more so than the "internet only" (back of the catalog weekend sessions) are great for unique high profile pieces because of their "going going gone" styled approach where in theory, a seller gets the highest bid without fear of snipers. You can't really snipe on Heritage, so that's music to a seller's ears.

ComicLink has timed auctions which can be sniped, but from a debatable perspective, one may say a bidder's approach will or could be to throw higher gaudy money at a lofty bid in fear of being sniped, so that inherently drives the price up to a possibly higher price potential.

I'd skip the other auction houses, personally, especially with sub-par material. The creme always rises to the top and ultimately buyers will find most good pieces. However, if you want the most profit possible, go with ComicLink or Heritage.

I'd say always go for "No Reserve Auctions" as those with reserves on ComicLink and Heritage seem to not do as well. But, it's your dice to roll for all the glory or possible agony. Bidder psychology tends to downplay reserve auctions in terms of general interest and excitement.

The benefits of auction houses is that they collect the money and ship out the merchandise.

The other option is to sell on CAF, or message boards (like this one), or even eBay, yourself.

eBay is good in that if you want to be a bit greedy and are risk adverse, you can simply put the pieces up for auction with a higher starting bid or a reserve, so if it doesn't sell you can always adjust your price(s) for another opportunity, 'tho there's a non-market fresh/overpriced stigma to a piece that goes unsold at times. eBayl takes about 15% commission all said and done after listing fees, pay pal fees, and seller fees. So, factor that into your pricing. You have to pack and ship yourself, plus run the risk of the proverbial eBay Scammers who can bid, buy, and claim the item came as an empty package and get their money back, keeping your merchandise.

eBay is good for $300 or lower items, and more so sketches and commissions, which the auction houses tend to avoid unless they're by remarkable artists by name (not necessarily rendering).

If you sell on the msg boards, you can set your own price. Of course whenever you put "OBO" (or best offer) you should generally put a higher price, since OBO tells people, for example "$1,000 OBO" that you don't expect to sell it for $1,000 and are very publicly willing to take a lower price. In fact that OBO tends to attract cheapskate bargain hunters who will throw 50% off offers to you. If you have a specific price, and hate negotiators, just put a price and say "firm" - - also disclose shipping fees/policies especially because international shipping is expensive and you should have full disclosure to keep things straight and forthright.

You can always lower your price, but if you put something up without knowing the value, you may kick yourself if you end up seeing that proverbial "flipper" buying to resell your item. That's why I say "do your own homework" by looking at historical sales precedent (completed auctions as sold, on eBay, Heritage, etc.) as well as what is out there readily available on auction as well as dealer websites to identify peer pricing.

Another option is to trade, sell or consign with an art dealer too.

Sometimes at the very bottom of the market there just seems to be zero actual collector interest and you just end up selling to whatever dealer or flipper happens to be watching that day. Some of that stuff is going to go super cheap no matter what venue you choose, if you go with a no reserve auction.

Hi,

I've tried both intermittently and found them wanting so I went back to the ebay route and had significantly better results for this type of material, despite all of eBay's irritants.

I think it depends on what you are selling and how high you think the demand is. For lower priced items, I think eBay is a good start. If the art you are selling appeals to a lot of people, you'll probably get more by starting an auction with a low price. Otherwise, a fixed price would be better.

I've done better on eBay than either auction house....it's slightly more nerve wracking though, in that you're more susceptible to problems and scams (I've never had a problem btw) when you sell with one of the auction houses they assume the risk. Until I get that positive feedback, I'm always worried. I'm also trying Clinks art exchange for the first time, I just put something up a few days ago.

It doesn't really cost you anything but some of your time to attempt to sell the art here - so if you're worried about cost it may be a good first arena to try out for a limited time before moving one.

Other than that, it seems like AKA Rick gave a very comprehensive opinion. Good stuff there for anyone that wanders through with a similar question

Hi,

I've tried both intermittently and found them wanting so I went back to the ebay route and had significantly better results for this type of material, despite all of eBay's irritants.

When you did ebay - did you start low, or buy it now? Or what approach did you take?

When you did ebay - did you start low, or buy it now? Or what approach did you take?

I think if it is an in-demand piece, set a high BIN price, with a Make an Offer.

If it is a lower-demand piece, start an auction at the lowest you would be willing to take for the piece.

Hi,

I've never used a BIN price so I can't speak to that segment of auctions, but for the most part, I would start at $9.99 for lower end pieces. For other pieces, I would start the auction at half of fair market value to generate some bidding activity, however, I always gave thought to the lowest price I'd be willing to take for a piece, and it worked out for me 95% of the time. (thumbs u

If it is a lower-demand piece, start an auction at the lowest you would be willing to take for the piece.

Wondering - Did you try this method successfully yourself? Or is this a theory?

Asking because, point of this thread was to see what worked for others.

Wondering - Did you try this method successfully yourself? Or is this a theory?

Asking because, point of this thread was to see what worked for others.

I would strongly recommend against that option. If you want to run an auction, run a true auction .99 no reserve. If you want a fixed price for a piece do your research and price it where you want. It is a huge turnoff to most buyers when you have overpriced starting bid auctions, especially when they are listed over and over again. (Often times because the seller is to cheap to pay ebays fixed price insertion fee) Also moderate(below fmv but at a sizable price) will not generate the same bidding action in general as a.99 cent start price.

I would recommend clink if you want auctions with low risk/zero chance of becoming my scammed don't have to deal with shipping etc. List on the boards and then eBay if you have the price you want for the item in mind and don't mind shipping and the low but known risks of selling on eBay.

I think that with the Heritage weekly auction if you are selling a hot item or new to market collection you will do very well. I know on the comic side that they are unloading a massive Newstand Mint collection and certain books are going through the roof and setting record prices. I know because I have been outbid on a number of them. :tonofbricks:

I think that with the Heritage weekly auction if you are selling a hot item or new to market collection you will do very well. I know on the comic side that they are unloading a massive Newstand Mint collection and certain books are going through the roof and setting record prices. I know because I have been outbid on a number of them. :tonofbricks:

Hot items will do fine regardless of the venue.

Its the rest of the 99% that you have to be strategic about how to sell to get maximum value. I never sold on either of you 2 you mentioned, just CAF, ebay, the bigger Clink and HA auctions, so I can't comment from personal experience. I can say that I sometimes buy from those venues because they are bargains, although bargains are harder to find lately, which is no surprise as the hobby becomes more popular.

Malvin

Because OA is One of a Kind, I found that starting off with a higher opening bid, not gauging high, but not a penny or dollar auction, really just the bare minimum price you'd be happy with, not greedy.

Then you can put the buy it now at your pie in the sky optimistic price, again not the million dollar gauge, or don't offer a buy it now at all.

Then let nature take it's course and the market dictates the supply and demand value.

If there's no bids, then odds are your opening bid price is too high and you then need to relist it and put the opening bid at the bare minimum you'd be okay with selling without regrets, then put the buy it now price at what was the first auction's opening bid price, figuring if someone had bid that opening bid on the 1st auction, you'd be happy, so if someone did a buy it now at that same price on the 2nd auction, you'd be equally happy.

If it doesn't sell the 2nd time around, you may want to age it and revisit selling it later so it becomes fresh to market, or if you either really need the money, any money, or simply tire at the piece and are willing to take a loss, then list it for the proverbial $0.01 opening bid which should near guarantee a sale and see where that takes you.

What you don't want to do is put a piece up without knowing much about it, and listing a Buy It Now that gets scooped up quickly, where you'd question if you offered it too low and regret not potentially maximizing your profit potential. You're better off at that point, leaving it as a survival of the fittest, may there be a bidding war and let the highest bidder take it home, approach.

I've listed on eBay with a retail type price and got no takers, I relisted it with a .99 opener, and it sold for more than I was asking the first time I listed it.

And that's why I do my ebay 1 cent auctions :)

but for niche items (where basically you are not guaranteed to get 2 people bidding full value) you run the risk of it going lower.

Malvin