• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC and sun fading grading

10 posts in this topic

Hello I was wondering if anybody had any experience with cgc, cbcs with sun faded grades. I recently picked up Hulk 181 for really good price,or at least i think I did lol. I have many books graded by cgc and cbcs, but none of my books are sun faded. comparing the books I'd say my hulk 181 structurally is between an 8.5 -9.2. very sharp corners, only the slightest spine stress marks, white pages and has the marvel value stamp. I won't lie though it is definitely in that range structurally but the entire red on the cover has faded I would say pretty severely. I have read many different things about how cgc only docked a 6.0 looking comic and it came back a 5.0 and then i herd of people saying they had a 9.0 and it came back a 3.0. I'm just wondering what you guys think structurally an 8.5-9.2 but there is no red left on the cover. Is it worth getting graded and if so what you guys think about what it would come back as. Any input would be great. thanks!

I remember submitting, what I thought was, a 9.6 book that came back 9.0 . This was years ago when you could call CGC and get a grader on the phone to discuss the notes. The only flaw noted was an area in the upper left corner that had color fade. I can only imagine the grade if the entire cover was severely faded. My guess is the book will be in the VG+ range. Also, severe color fade is a very difficult sell, analagous to receiving a Purple Label. People just don't want it. Sorry.

Thanks def appreciate it!! it is super hard to judge because of the really sharp corners and the min spine wear. Yeah I don't play on selling it so I'm not worried about the collector standpoint. when you look at over street grading there isn't like any option for color faded books. I was wondering if maybe it would fall under the heavy foxing type. Yes, the red and yellow on the cover is def severely faded, but that was what i was thinking VG range

Nice looking book and that is one tiny spot of fade. I guess fade is graded almost like a stain. (shrug)

This. In some cases I have seen them grade harsher than a stain. I would imagine areas that are faded by the sun also have reduced hydrogen bonds in the paper fibers making them brittle, or more susceptible to becoming brittle.

yeah, def a nice book. My book isn't brittle at the cover is smooth, no dimples and with the same cover texture as a normal bronze age book. that fainding isn't bad at all compared tom mine, I mean all the red in the entire cover is faded

They will definitely hammer for heavy fading, though IMHO, sometimes are still too generous.

Sorry to say, I don't care how sound a book is structurally, if the reds are faded to the degree you describe, it's a low grade book to me.