• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mylars, Bags, and boards . . oh my . . .

39 posts in this topic

I have been thinking of making some changes in how I store some of my comics.

Currently, items that are in my personal collection are stored in Mylites because they make the comics look so much sharper and the other benefits of storing them in mylar. Other keys and semi keys that I am willing to trade I typically store in Mylites as well because of their value.

The majority of my other comics that I trade or have just accumulated are in Ultra Pro bags and boards. I just prefer the Ultra Pros over BCW, ComiCare and others I have used.

In short, I have been toying with the notion of switching them to Mylars. Though I have thought about just ordering a bunch of Myltes I have also noticed that BCW and others make some mylars that are cheaper and wanted to see what others experiences has been with these other types. I am not completely sure why I feel the need to switch to these, but I am starting to realize that a lot of the SA items I have accumulate with the intent to maybe sell or trade one day are sticking around for much longer than I expected and seeing that many of them might be around for a lot longer I am thinking maybe I need to start storing them a little better with that in mind. Perhaps it might be time to also stop buying others collections . . .

Thoughts????

Put cheap stuff in cheap bags/boards, or cheap bags and 1/2 backs.

Put expensive stuff in expensive bags/boards, M2s and full backs.

Mylites are the devil - I'd rather have cheap polypropylene or polyethylene any day.

Mylites are the devil - I'd rather have cheap polypropylene or polyethylene any day.

Aren't M2's and Mylites 2 the same thing?

In short, I have been toying with the notion of switching them to Mylars. Though I have thought about just ordering a bunch of Myltes I have also noticed that BCW and others make some mylars that are cheaper and wanted to see what others experiences has been with these other types.

Huh? I find E. Gerber Mylites to be cheapest after shipping particularly when buying bulk (I buy direct from E. Gerber). I always calculate $/bag or $/board and other brands are typically 2x what E. Gerber charges.

If one buys a pack of 500 minimum, E. Gerber's fully buffered acid-free Half-Backs are around the same price as single-side coated boards (~$0.10/board). That's why even for stuff that I use regular bags, I still use E. Gerber Half-Backs.

Per Unit Costs

775M+ + 750HB (Silver/Golden):

100-pk: $0.395

500-pk: $0.323

1000-pk: $0.278

775M2 + 750HB (Silver/Golden):

100-pk: $0.41

200-pk: $0.36

1000-pk: $0.29

775M2 + 750FB (Silver/Golden):

50-pk: $0.58

200-pk: $0.475

1000-pk: $0.39

M2s and Mylite 2s are the same thing. Lizard was probably talking about Mylite 1s, which are very thin and horrible.

I prefer M2s and fullbacks, although that combination is thicker than the regular bag and board, so fewer fit in a box.

M2s and Mylite 2s are the same thing. Lizard was probably talking about Mylite 1s, which are very thin and horrible.

I don't think E. Gerber regularly makes those now. Iirc, there's a post in the Mixed Age/Misc sales subforum gauging demand for 1-mil Mylites to place a custom order with E. Gerber and there weren't many takers.

Granted, their Mylites+ (1.42 mil) are still pretty crinkly (I got a sampler pack to figure what I should order). Seems durable enough but given the minor price difference compared to M2s, I'd rather get M2s. The M2s are my "Goldilocks" size. M+ are too thin while M4 feels like I'll damage the comic book while trying to bag it. M2s are just perfect. :)

In short, I have been toying with the notion of switching them to Mylars. Though I have thought about just ordering a bunch of Myltes I have also noticed that BCW and others make some mylars that are cheaper and wanted to see what others experiences has been with these other types.

Huh? I find E. Gerber Mylites to be cheapest after shipping particularly when buying bulk (I buy direct from E. Gerber). I always calculate $/bag or $/board and other brands are typically 2x what E. Gerber charges.

If one buys a pack of 500 minimum, E. Gerber's fully buffered acid-free Half-Backs are around the same price as single-side coated boards (~$0.10/board). That's why even for stuff that I use regular bags, I still use E. Gerber Half-Backs.

Per Unit Costs

775M+ + 750HB (Silver/Golden):

100-pk: $0.395

500-pk: $0.323

1000-pk: $0.278

775M2 + 750HB (Silver/Golden):

100-pk: $0.41

200-pk: $0.36

1000-pk: $0.29

775M2 + 750FB (Silver/Golden):

50-pk: $0.58

200-pk: $0.475

1000-pk: $0.39

Are those price with the half-backs?

Interested I was coming up with 1000 BCW 2mil mylars at about .2683. With only about a $10 difference I wanted to see if people who might have used both have seen a difference. Again things to consider

I prefer M2s and fullbacks, although that combination is thicker than the regular bag and board, so fewer fit in a box.

That is what I was thinking. I should of been clearer in that I use the 2M's with full backs

Interested I was coming up with 1000 BCW 2mil mylars at about .2683. With only about a $10 difference I wanted to see if people who might have used both have seen a difference. Again things to consider

Yep, the above prices include bag and board.

M+ = 1.42 mil Mylites+

M2 = 2 mil Mylites2

HB = 24 mil Half-Back

FB = 42 mil Full-Back

You can find E. Gerber's full price list here:

http://www.egerber.com/catalog.asp

For 1000-pk, here are their prices for Mylites2 bags only (add $15 shipping):

Current 700M2: $155

Standard 725M2: $160

Silver/Gold 775M2: $165

With shipping, that's 17c, 17.5c and 18c per bag respectively.

By the way, curious how you got 26.83c for BCW 2-mil Mylar. On their website, 10x Current 50-pk is $14.38 per pack (free ship on $80+) which is around 28.76c per bag.

I've looked into Bill Cole, Bags Unlimited and BCW, and I always end back with Gerber because they're the cheapest.

Yep, the above prices include bag and board.

M+ = 1.42 mil Mylites+

M2 = 2 mil Mylites2

HB = 0.24 mil Half-Back

FB = 0.42 mil Full-Back

You can find E. Gerber's full price list here:

http://www.egerber.com/catalog.asp

For 1000-pk, here are their prices for Mylites2 bags only (add $15 shipping):

Current 700M2: $155

Standard 725M2: $160

Silver/Gold 775M2: $165

With shipping, that's 17c, 17.5c and 18c per bag respectively.

By the way, curious how you got 26.83c for BCW 2-mil Mylar. On their website, 10x Current 50-pk is $14.38 per pack (free ship on $80+) which is around 28.76c per bag.

I've looked into Bill Cole, Bags Unlimited and BCW, and I always end back with Gerber because they're the cheapest.

There was a reseller on ebay selling 1000 for $268.00 with free shipping, that was without boards.

I think based on your feedback I may just go with this

There was a reseller on ebay selling 1000 for $268.00 with free shipping, that was without boards.

I think based on your feedback I may just go with this

Just warning on E. Gerber, their ordering system is kinda antiquated (phone or fax) and it might take a couple weeks or might be longer to get your shipment. That said, aside from the slowness, I've never had any problems with my orders.

You can also email them. I've never experienced any slowness.

The really cool part for me is that the shipping is all the same, so you east-coasters defray my postage expense. It makes my orders so much sweeter :banana:

For less expensive comics you could go with M2s and half backs. For more expensive comics go with M2s and full backs. But definitely buy in larger quantity and your cost basis will be dramatically lower; to the point where I would not even consider poly or any other brand for that matter.

For less expensive comics you could go with M2s and half backs. For more expensive comics go with M2s and full backs. But definitely buy in larger quantity and your cost basis will be dramatically lower; to the point where I would not even consider poly or any other brand for that matter.

Dramatically lower, yep. Certainly for boards, it makes no sense to get coated boards over Half-Backs.

Poly bags can be had for as low as 3-5 cents per bag though, which is significantly cheaper than 17 cents per bag if buying in bulk. I used to go all Mylites2/Full-Backs but now that I've amassed some cheapie reading lots, I've started using Hotflips resealable bags/Half-Backs for those (usually 2 books per bag/board).

How much thicker are the half backs than the regular BCW or southern whatever boards? I find myself doubling up the boards on anything that is in really nice shape that has some age on it.

How much thicker are the half backs than the regular BCW or southern whatever boards? I find myself doubling up the boards on anything that is in really nice shape that has some age on it.

Half-Backs are the same thickness (~24 mil) as regular boards and I think might be a smidge less stiffer. I just prefer fully-buffered Half-Backs over regular coated boards because they don't contribute to the natural acidification of comics.

Full-Backs (42 mil) are what you want for better support. They're double the cost of HBs after shipping, though.

I just pulled out some comics that I bought in 1994 or so that were bagged and boarded when i bought them, but i see the boards weren't real comic boards, just regular thin cardboard. so they have been in there for 22+ years and had probably been in those bags/boards for years already. the backs of the comics are nice and white and pristine (and the bags were in pretty good shape to). go figure.

I just pulled out some comics that I bought in 1994 or so that were bagged and boarded when i bought them, but i see the boards weren't real comic boards, just regular thin cardboard. so they have been in there for 22+ years and had probably been in those bags/boards for years already. the backs of the comics are nice and white and pristine (and the bags were in pretty good shape to). go figure.

What's the weather like? Environment is the biggest factor in comic preservation. Comics stored somewhere cold and dry without bags and boards are likely to stay in better condition than one stored in Mylar and fully buffered acid-free boards in Florida or California if air conditioning occasionally breaks.

I have a question, should I use acid-free comic boxes or just regular ones? And are acid-free boxes required for storing CGC graded comics? Or is a Mylar case/bag protection enough?

E. Gerber's site says: "Acid-Free Boxes: If you do use poly-bags for storing your comics, (after being shot for crimes against comics), then you should most definitely use AF boxes. If you already store your comics in Mylar then the Acid-Free nature of the boxes is not essential, but it is still desirable.

What is the consensus here?

(shrug)

I have a question, should I use acid-free comic boxes or just regular ones? And are acid-free boxes required for storing CGC graded comics? Or is a Mylar case/bag protection enough?

E. Gerber's site says: "Acid-Free Boxes: If you do use poly-bags for storing your comics, (after being shot for crimes against comics), then you should most definitely use AF boxes. If you already store your comics in Mylar then the Acid-Free nature of the boxes is not essential, but it is still desirable.

What is the consensus here?

(shrug)

Regular boxes are good enough. Really, I reckon the only time when acid free boxes would actually make an appreciable difference is if storing comic books unbagged.