• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was there an insert for x-men 266?

6 posts in this topic

Here's something I stumbled across recently when cataloging my collection. I have a few copies of x-men #266. Two were direct sale copies I purchased through a subscription service (Westfield Comics) and two I purchased from my local comic shop. The last two were newstand editions.

Out of the four books, one newstand edition had a Mark Jewelers advertisement inserted in it. It is printed on heavy cardstock and located as a centerfold ad in the middle of the book.

I looked at the other books and they did not have the ad. Nor did they look like they were ever tampered with or had their ads removed. The staples are really tight and I'd expect the removal of the heavy cardstock ad would bend a staple or leave a clue. Plus, knowing the origins of two of the books (subscription service) I'm reasonably certain these books just left the presses without the ad.

Naturally this makes me curious as to the nature of comic book ad inserts. Were advertisers able to buy ads for certain quantities of the print run? Hmm, maybe there was a reprint of that issue and that came with the ad.

The only other ad I can recall that was a big deal in comics was the Tatooz ad in ASM 238. I had always assumed that when I saw one for sale that said "with tatooz" then that meant the ad just hadn't been ripped out by someone. Is it possible ASM had limited print runs with ads and some without?

Hopefully someone can set me straight or point me in a good direction for more info.

Thanks.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I did find a ton of posts about the MJI being primarily in comics distributed to military posts. Which is interesting. Now that I think about it, I was in the military during the time X-Men 266 came out. I had always used a subscription service to buy my comics because the condition on arrival was always exceptional especially when compared to a book on the newstand. But x-men 266 was a key issue and I recall buying that one copy from the base exchange. Course it also has the stress lines to prove it was a newstand copy...

Thanks for the help!

That's pretty cool- that's definitely one of later MJ inserts, right?

I'd say...the inserts stopped in all Marvel comics a year later. Uncanny X-Men #277 was the last in the title to have an insert...

Jim