• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Im stumped! All the comic experts come here please!

51 posts in this topic

A friend of mine gave me a comic when he moved abroad many many years ago. I vaguley remember him saying it was a very very old rare japanese or chinese comic. I just unearthed it recently, but sadly i have no clue on where to even start looking to see what it is, how much it is worth etc. This is where all you comics experts come in. I've flicked through the book and it's all in chinese/japanese so there is no way i can use "groogle" or what not to work out what it is. Any of you guys seen anything like it before?

Front cover

rarecomic.jpg

First page

rareinsidecomicfrontpage.jpg

Couple of shots of inside pages. rareinsidecomic2.jpg

rareinsidecomic.jpg

Surely someone has an inkling? *cries*

The extent of my manhua knowledge is "Ma Wing Shing is good" and reading a few of the Jademan books that were published in the states in the 80s.

It's an interesting format, I'll say that much.

Check this out....it's' obviously in Chinese.....

http://www.cartoonwin.com/seecart/index.php?ctlog=1

But this is in English.....check it out and the assorted articles.....

http://www.cartoonwin.com/eng/articles/articles006.html

Some of these look like the exact same format as your book.

Red Hook

It is definitely Chinese. I should be able to get a translation for you this afternoon or tomorrow - do you have a clearer scan/image, especially of the last page?

A friend of mine gave me a comic when he moved abroad many many years ago. I vaguley remember him saying it was a very very old rare japanese or chinese comic. I just unearthed it recently, but sadly i have no clue on where to even start looking to see what it is, how much it is worth etc. This is where all you comics experts come in. I've flicked through the book and it's all in chinese/japanese so there is no way i can use "groogle" or what not to work out what it is. Any of you guys seen anything like it before?

If you have access to Windows XP and the Chinese language pack, you actually could google it... of course, you might not be able to understand the results.

Did this for an obscure ODBC error reported by a Japanese customer.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

It is definitely Chinese. I should be able to get a translation for you this afternoon or tomorrow - do you have a clearer scan/image, especially of the last page?

This is what is on the very back page FD. It's as clear as i can get it. Your help would be much appreciated laugh.gif

backback.jpg

Back page again, text from lower down.

blackpage.jpg

The only thign i can make out is 1973 confused-smiley-013.gif

If it's from 1973 it doesn't sound very old or very rare.

Yes, and I think that is one of the Chinese equivalents of the Little Golden Books we have. And seriously, no "friend" is going to leave a "rare and valuable book" behind just for the heck of it.

P.S. Kilt, you seem to have a serious case of Gold Fever and you might want to re-examine your newfound hobby.

If it's from 1973 it doesn't sound very old or very rare.

I'm very curious as well to find out what it is. Just because it has a date of 1973 doesn't mean it isn't rare. I'm sure the printing of this book is related in no way to the printing of DC and Marvel bronze age books we all know and love.

Good luck, Kilt. Wish I could be of assistance. All I can say is that's freakin' awesome thumbsup2.gif

not really much help, as there are just a BILLION chinese characters - even without dialects - but this site is chock full of a desire to teach you.

for instance, that second character that looks like a box could be

d73.gif or it could be

d102.gif

last character could be

d250.gif

so who the heck knows?

no "friend" is going to leave a "rare and valuable book" behind just for the heck of it.

Maybe kiltman's friend doesn't have any interest in anything comic-like, but knew that kilt would love it and decided he should have it. Sounds like something a good friend would do if you ask me.