• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Im stumped! All the comic experts come here please!

51 posts in this topic

Definitely the Chinese translation of Dazzler #1.

No doubt about it.

Dazzerer? foreheadslap.gif

Just kidding. I spent too much time on engrish.com today.

Maybe it's 1973 in Chinese years (since the Ming Dynasty or something). confused-smiley-013.gif

That's what I was thinking... but they would likely not have been using western number characters... confused-smiley-013.gif

Beyond that, if that book were from 1973 in the Chinese Calendar it'd be nearly 3000 years old.

No kidding. I'm Assyrian, and in April we celebrated our 6,755 new year.

Maybe it's 1973 in Chinese years (since the Ming Dynasty or something). confused-smiley-013.gif

That's what I was thinking... but they would likely not have been using western number characters... confused-smiley-013.gif

Beyond that, if that book were from 1973 in the Chinese Calendar it'd be nearly 3000 years old.

Do you think 3000 years ago they had that type of binding for books and a printing press for the text?

Cover in color: wording is referring to someone who is very very brave—a chinese idiom.

The inside cover is the publish province—Shandong; it has a signature from the army someone with the surname “Li”. Perhaps and army guy owned this.

The open page in the story is too faint to read; a story about someone that is really strong, etc. People think it is a standard story about the good communist being strong against imperialism, etc.

Back page—the title of the book “The person who is so brave enough to pull the tiger’s tooth”

A certain province and book; city hall of this place

Department of Political/Propoganda/Media/etc

Published in Shandong, company is “Qingdao”

Published 1973 March; 1st edition

The total circulation is 650,000

Price was 9 fen--.09 of a Yuan

Wow! Thats really cool stuff! Cheers for the translation FD.

I love the idea that a chinese soldier may have owned this. 650,000 made 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I wonder how many remain. Quite a few im sure. What do you reckon it's worth would be?

I love the idea that a chinese soldier may have owned this. 650,000 made 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I wonder how many remain. Quite a few im sure. What do you reckon it's worth would be?

I dunno. Guess you should buy the Chinese edition of Overstreet. foreheadslap.gif

Do you think 3000 years ago they had that type of binding for books and a printing press for the text?

No, but I mistakenly thought that went without saying.

I'll have a translation for you in the afternoon. The 1973 date tends to make it much much less valuable. Many of the things produced in the late 50s during the Hundred Flowers, etc. were destroyed in later campaigns (and in some cases burnt for fuel!), so that time period plus the early 60s is far more rare than the post-1968, since the 1968-69 period of the cultural revolution nailed this stuff.

Burning comics for fuel! Sacrilage(unless early 90's DC i suppose)! I would muchly appreciate that FD, this comic is certainly intreaging. smile.gif

Hey, at least they were burning them for a practical purpose... in America, people burned comics in the '50s because they were "the devil's work" 893whatthe.gif I'm pretty sure they didn't even use the resulting embers to roast hot dogs...

I'll give you 18 fen for it right now - that's 2x cover price!

I'll give you 18 fen for it right now - that's 2x cover price!

0.09p 27_laughing.gif I'll crack the jokes wink.gif