• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Graders notes "none available"
2 2

39 posts in this topic

To me graders notes should be mandatory. If I'm paying you to grade a book then tell me how you came to that conclusion. Book is 9.0 tell me why. The graded book is a product. Notes should be there for everyone not just a few because the grader didn't feel like adding them this particular day. Same goes with anything. Everybody needs to get the same thing. No exceptions. I get busy at my job too and cutting corners is never an option.

On 6/26/2023 at 4:27 PM, lizards2 said:

I get that "grading notes not available" all the time.

I only use grader's notes to help decide whether I want to purchase a book. So not having them available sometimes sours the sale.

Same.  I've gotten in the habit of checking the notes because 1) I can now since they're free and 2) I'll miss something in an online picture whether of my own oversight or because you'd really have to have the book in hand.  I've missed a chip(s) on a white cover that blends in with the splash page more often than not, but I've also been given warning with descriptions of rusted staples, interior cover tanning or dried glue on the spine.  I would prefer to read these and find them more helpful than notes of omission on higher modern books explaining why a 9.6 didn't make it to 9.8 (like "hey, this cover centering just wasn't good enough").  Probably, no doubt, because I'd be ecstatic to get a 9.6 on a SA or GA and wouldn't care what the reasoning was (heck a 7.5 is sometimes cause for celebration).  

On 6/27/2023 at 7:32 AM, Stelly Stel said:

Graders' notes are a courtesy, always have been.

Screenshot_20230627-082936.thumb.png.ebfe28f40753087a28c01d50da0386f6.png

I don't care what they are or were considered in the past. The plain truth is you give everyone of your customers this courtesy or you give no one this courtesy. What they did in the past is irrelevant. 

On 6/27/2023 at 11:04 AM, Ride the Tiger said:

I don't care what they are or were considered in the past. The plain truth is you give everyone of your customers this courtesy or you give no one this courtesy. What they did in the past is irrelevant. 

+1

Now that they are not including as much detail on the label, grader's notes should be mandatory.

Feels like CGC is the only company not divulging more data to the customer while every other business is realizing greater brand loyalty by exposing more. 

But hey, we got QR codes this year...

-bc

Yeah its super frustrating, I've sent in books that look perfect to my eye that come back 9.6 or even 9.4 that never have notes. I would just like to know what I missed so I could look for it in the future.

On 6/27/2023 at 5:36 AM, Stelly Stel said:

I get the feeling some people are complaining because CGC won't give them enough info to determine if they can CPR a book and profit off it hm

Not from me. I crack books out to go into my collection. I'm just trying to make sure that I MIGHT agree with the grade, which right now is about a 20-30% chance.

On 6/27/2023 at 8:36 AM, Stelly Stel said:

I get the feeling some people are complaining because CGC won't give them enough info to determine if they can CPR a book and profit off it hm

DISCLAIMER: I am not a flipper. Much to my wife's chagrin, no comic book coming into our house has ever left.

Having said that, your statement is the best business argument for CGC to change their ways. If more grader's notes resulted in more re-submits, it would only make sense to include grader's notes on every book.

On 6/27/2023 at 10:29 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Once again, I will mention that it's not CGC's job to teach their customers how to grade.

Why do they include extensive descriptions of books that have a green qualified label or a purple restored label? Why not just say hey your book has a qualified grade. Guy grading didn't include why. Or here's your book it had restoration but again grader didn't say why so enjoy your purple label. It's not their job to teach you how to understand qualified or restored grades anyways.

On 6/27/2023 at 1:34 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

Why do they include extensive descriptions of books that have a green qualified label or a purple restored label? Why not just say hey your book has a qualified grade. Guy grading didn't include why. Or here's your book it had restoration but again grader didn't say why so enjoy your purple label. It's not their job to teach you how to understand qualified or restored grades anyways.

Do you expect anyone other than grading companies to disclose why/how they chose the grade they did? Do you expect them to disclose restoration or major defects?

If the answers are "no" and "yes", in that order, then I'd ask everyone to be consistent.

On 6/27/2023 at 12:53 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Do you expect anyone other than grading companies to disclose why/how they chose the grade they did? Do you expect them to disclose restoration or major defects?

If the answers are "no" and "yes", in that order, then I'd ask everyone to be consistent.

The company exists for the sole purpose of telling people what grade their book is in so yes I expect them to tell me how they came to that grade. They do it for some people. Why not everyone? Are some graders less qualified? Maybe less sure of the grade assigned? I find it hard to believe people are still standing up for this company concerning missing notes. Been reading these boards forever and as long as they have existed..... people have been coming here asking why their book has no notes but others do. I stand by my opinion. Give them to everybody or give them to no one.

On 6/27/2023 at 4:23 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

The company exists for the sole purpose of telling people what grade their book is in so yes I expect them to tell me how they came to that grade. They do it for some people. Why not everyone? Are some graders less qualified? Maybe less sure of the grade assigned? I find it hard to believe people are still standing up for this company concerning missing notes. Been reading these boards forever and as long as they have existed..... people have been coming here asking why their book has no notes but others do. I stand by my opinion. Give them to everybody or give them to no one.

That reminds me of back in the day - I get this Golden Age book off eBay with a double cover, with the best cover being 9.0. The book has rusty staples - so is that part of the grade, was it that way when it was graded or did it happen in the possession of the person I bought it from?

This is back when you had to call CGC for notes. I do that and the grader says regarding rusty staples - "we would never notate that flaw to grader's notes on such a low-graded book."

What the heck? Now there is some customer service for you.

On 6/27/2023 at 8:36 AM, Stelly Stel said:

I am not complaining about it, but this is 100% what I use graders notes for. If I can get a 9.2 copy of a book with fixable defects, and there is a big enough price bump for a jump in grade, then I go for it. Crack and re-subs are a bit of an addiction for me. 

On 6/27/2023 at 7:23 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

What grade their book is, not the proprietary method of assigning that grade.

Who are "some people"?

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

On 6/28/2023 at 6:12 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

What grade their book is, not the proprietary method of assigning that grade.

Who are "some people"?

Some people get grader notes on their slabs, some don't.  (shrug). Search random books on ebay. Some will have notes, some will not. Maybe you can tell us why that is.

On 6/28/2023 at 10:04 AM, Ride the Tiger said:

Some people get grader notes on their slabs, some don't.  (shrug). Search random books on ebay. Some will have notes, some will not. Maybe you can tell us why that is.

I'm not wasting my time "searching for random books". That's a fool's errand.

So what you're actually saying is: "Sometimes CGC notes major defects on the label"? Not, "some people always get grader notes".

On 6/28/2023 at 9:07 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm not wasting my time "searching for random books". That's a fool's errand.

So what you're actually saying is: "Sometimes CGC notes major defects on the label"? Not, "some people always get grader notes".

Isn't conversing with me wasting your time? All I want is for every customer to get the same thing. For everything. Period. If you don't feel that's fair then let me know and I won't waste any more of your time. 

On 6/28/2023 at 10:36 AM, Ride the Tiger said:

Isn't conversing with me wasting your time? All I want is for every customer to get the same thing. For everything. Period. If you don't feel that's fair then let me know and I won't waste any more of your time. 

Nah. If we didn't have conversations about subjects we disagree on, nothing would get solved.

You're okay with the tradeoff of multiplying TATs then?

On 6/28/2023 at 9:43 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Nah. If we didn't have conversations about subjects we disagree on, nothing would get solved.

You're okay with the tradeoff of multiplying TATs then?

Yes. I don't believe shortcuts in one area improve how a company functions in the long run.