• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures of Captain Marvel (Republic serial) to be released on Blu-Ray

18 posts in this topic

Kino-Lorber will be releasing the real Captain Marvel on BD early in 2017 according to the site's Facebook page. Assuming this does well ...and it is a superb cliffhanger chapter play... then perhaps others may follow. Note: Mentioned on Kino's Facebook page in passing as an attribution to directors William Whitney & John English as directing Daredevils of The Red Circle which is an awesome, albeit obscure serial with some of the best cliffhangers ever concocted. That would be a great follow-up, as would The Masked Marvel, any of the four D. Tracy serials, Drums of Fu Manchu or Spy Smasher.

This should be kewl news for all superhero film fans! :headbang:

I loved The Masked Marvel and Daredevils of The Red Circle!

My favorites Federal Operator 99, Government Agents Vs. Phantom Legion, Daughter of Don Q, Federal Agents Vs. Underworld Inc, Manhunt in the African Jungle, The Purple Monster Strikes, The Black Widow, Captain America, Manhunt on Mystery Island, Mysterious Doctor Satan, Haunted Harbor, Jesses James Rides Again and King of the Texas Rangers.

Linda Sterling, Virgina Lindley, Helen Talbot and Kay Aldridge were real beauties of the good old days.

My favorites Federal Operator 99, Government Agents Vs. Phantom Legion, Daughter of Don Q, Federal Agents Vs. Underworld Inc, Manhunt in the African Jungle, The Purple Monster Strikes, The Black Widow, Captain America, Manhunt on Mystery Island, Mysterious Doctor Satan, Haunted Harbor, Jesses James Rides Again and King of the Texas Rangers.

Linda Sterling, Virgina Lindley, Helen Talbot and Kay Aldridge were real beauties of the good old days.

All awesome Republic's. :applause:

I would add King of The Rocket-Men (Tristram Coffin) and G-Men vs The Black Dragon (starring Rod Cameron) as being superb, as well. Even the Fighting Devil Dogs which liberally used stock footage, is excellent. There are also quite a few Columbia's and Universal's deserving of restoration and release in higher definition, but the number of great serials from those studios is sparser.

I would add King of The Rocket-Men (Tristram Coffin) and G-Men vs The Black Dragon (starring Rod Cameron) as being superb, as well. Even the Fighting Devil Dogs which liberally used stock footage, is excellent. There are also quite a few Columbia's and Universal's deserving of restoration and release in higher definition, but the number of great serials from those studios is sparser.

I loved King of the Rocketmen. I think if my memory is correct it even had two sequels.

I loved King of the Rocketmen. I think if my memory is correct it even had two sequels.

Yep! There were 2 or 3 sequels or spin-offs of KoTRM using FX stock footage from the first (1949) to pad out the others. After the first in the series Republic cut corners. The first one is the best, by far.

All of the Republic serials from the late 30's through the 40's had the team of Howard & Theodore Lydecker who did what was then cutting edge FX work with exploding buildings, ships cars, etc., bizarre flying craft, aerial stunts with flying suits on wires, train crashes, floods, ...you name it... all achieved with more realism than most "A" production films of the era. One of the tricks that made their larger than life work look so real was their construction of very large scale miniatures constructed in fine detail.

These well crafted thrill-a-minute serials were the bees knees.

Yeah I always like Republic's higher production values. But there were a lot of other companies serials I liked too, that I might seek out down the road.

Yeah I always like Republic's higher production values. But there were a lot of other companies serials I liked too, that I might seek out down the road.

This had to be one of the best from Universal.

Absolutely, Flash Gordon is considered one of the go-to classics from Universal. The spacecraft are terribly cheesy and acting runs the gamut, but some of the FX aren't bad. It was a very expensive production for the era.

Here's another Universal serial that doesn't get enough attention:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gang_Busters_(serial)

This'n is truly creepy. It gave me nightmares after watching old television reruns when I was a kid, and it still holds up well as a classic serial.

Absolutely, Flash Gordon is considered one of the go-to classics from Universal. The spacecraft are terribly cheesy and acting runs the gamut, but some of the FX aren't bad. It was a very expensive production for the era.

This'n is truly creepy. It gave me nightmares after watching old television reruns when I was a kid, and it still holds up well as a classic serial.

Thanks. I will check it out! (thumbs u

Thanks. I will check it out! (thumbs u

Yup, Irene Hervey, that was a good one. I still might have it on VHS in one of my closets. (thumbs u

I'd also heartily recommend a couple of serials from Columbia, The Spider's Web and The Black Commando, the latter complete with code breaking instructions in every chapter from a military officer who's very uncomfortable on camera. Both are fun and fairly straightforward costumed hero action-adventure serials. Boy, do I wish these forgotten classics were available on BD. :grin:

Panther Girl is coming out soon (reviewed on DVDBeaver site), but here's the REAL news: DAREDEVILS OF THE RED CIRCLE will apparently be a first class release with 4K mastering!!!

18e13744-5779-4827-8e0f-946be50d32a0_zps

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=20822

I expect THE ADVENTURES OF CAPTAIN MARVEL will receive similar treatment.  First day purchases! :whee:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

13 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Panther Girl is coming out soon (reviewed on DVDBeaver site), but here's the REAL news: DAREDEVILS OF THE RED CIRCLE will apparently be a first class release with 4K mastering!!!

18e13744-5779-4827-8e0f-946be50d32a0_zps

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=20822

I expect THE ADVENTURES OF CAPTAIN MARVEL will receive similar treatment.  First day purchases! :whee:

+1