• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade This Werewolf by Night #2

20 posts in this topic

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Yeah 7.0-8.0 was what I'm thinking too. I was looking through eBay last night and I came across the book advertised as a vf/nm and placed in on my auction snipe for $70(ridiculously low for this type of book). Well today I came home to find I won the auction (only one of 10!). I was pretty happy and then I noticed the spine and said, "ut-oh". That spine stress is nowhere NEAR vf/nm.

So now I'm stuck knowing I won the bid (and I don't want to be one of those people who back out of something) but being falsely advertised really pisses me off. I take 40% of the blame cause I didn't REALLY look at the book late last night when I should of but the feedback was high and near perfect and at a quick glance it looked pretty good. What's the solution here?

Your bid is a legaly binding contract. shy.gif

What did ya pay for it?

Link?

Maybe you can flip it if you are unhappy with it and break even?

confused-smiley-013.gif

werewolf2 win

I agree with your statement Aces and that's pretty much what I figured as well. But at this point I fell like I'm just [#@$%!!!] money down the toliet willingly, you know? Maybe we are wrong and this guy's book is really pristine and those are scanner scratches. I'll send them the payment tomorrow. sorry.gif

I was watching a bunch of that guy's auctions including his HOM 174 and 179, as well as your Spotlight 2. They all looked slightly overgraded (half to a full point), but not too outrageous. His "NM-" 179 brought a screwy.gif price IMHO, about guide but still too high for raw eBay stuff. Hope the Spotlight turn out better than it looks. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=76&item=6526869243&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I'd say 7.5 based on the defects my (all too fallible!) eyes can make out - 7.0 if there's a stress or two that I missed. Still a neat book to have, though...but you guys make a good point, buying on ebay is a frustrating experience. I'd say out of 80 or so people I've bought from, perhaps 8-10 graded to the standards I would aim for were I to start selling off my collection. Just the other day there was a Hero For Hire 1 described as "VF/NM" in huge letters right at the top of the listing. At least the scan was large enough to show that it was about a VF-! wink.gif It still sold for $37, a price I would never pay for that book in that grade.

Actually a technique that works for me is to bid on ebay VFs assuming that they're about FN...that way I can always recoup my bid cost by trading the book to a dealer friend of mine at the next show I go to...that's saved me a lot of regret!

Bidding on Coach Joe's books is a big no-no. We're not talking half grade overgrades. Trust me I know first hand.

Glad they got bid up to the moon and I was forced to pass. thumbsup2.gif

Why is his feedback percentage so high if he's known for overgrading? frustrated.gif

Because it's Ebay. 90% of the buyers just don't know better or they are so used to getting overgraded [#@$%!!!] so that when they get a F/VF book advertised as VF they actually think it is graded correctly. Also, many do not leave poor feedback in case of getting feedback retaliation. Some just don't leave feedback at all. He may have had 1000 unique transactions in the last year but only 500 feedbacks were left. That's a lot of people passing on leaving feedback and some probably passed because they were not happy. Like divadrabnud said: Buy from him. And me too.

Why is his feedback percentage so high if he's known for overgrading? frustrated.gif

Feedback does not always tell the whole story, unfortunately.

... His "NM-" 179 brought a screwy.gif price IMHO, about guide but still too high for raw eBay stuff.

You're telling me, but then again look who the winning bidder was! gossip.gif

27_laughing.gif Didn't even notice that. Always has money to burn!