• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing question

32 posts in this topic

I was talking to the owner of a LCS yesterday and asking him why he doesn't carry CGC graded comics and he answered he is dead-set against them because nearly all graded comics have been pressed (obviously false) and because the pressing fades the colors of the comic, thereby damaging them.

Is this true? Can pressing fade the bright colors on a comic?

(shrug)

If the book is improperly pressed...yes.

What extreme would do that?

Mike,

See the post below yours. Extreme temperatures would dull the gloss and cause the inks to appear faded. I have seen books that were so poorly done they looked like toast (one of the books was what originally appeared to be a NM copy of ASM 129).

I was talking to the owner of a LCS yesterday and asking him why he doesn't carry CGC graded comics and he answered he is dead-set against them because nearly all graded comics have been pressed (obviously false) and because the pressing fades the colors of the comic, thereby damaging them.

(shrug)

Nothing fades the color on a book faster than being displayed as a wall book, 24X7. Ask your LCS owner about his opinion on that ! Years ago, I was lucky enough to acquire a large number of Mass pedigree books. This pedigree had outstanding cover colors. Though I only got a couple pressed, I was very disappointed in the colors afterward. Very subtle but the colors were just not as striking.

(shrug)

Nothing fades the color on a book faster than being displayed as a wall book, 24X7. Ask your LCS owner about his opinion on that ! Years ago, I was lucky enough to acquire a large number of Mass pedigree books. This pedigree had outstanding cover colors. Though I only got a couple pressed, I was very disappointed in the colors afterward. Very subtle but the colors were just not as striking.

And I find the complete opposite to be true Bob. In fact, I have many of my customers say the same thing about the colors and the gloss. If anything a good dry cleaning and proper pressing will remove an surface dirt and oxidation, resulting in higher gloss and more vibrant colors.

And I do agree with your comment about wall books. Better to display scans as opposed to the actual book.

(shrug)

And I find the complete opposite to be true Bob. In fact, I have many of my customers say the same thing about the colors and the gloss. If anything a good dry cleaning and proper pressing will remove an surface dirt and oxidation, resulting in higher gloss and more vibrant colors.

And I do agree with your comment about wall books. Better to display scans as opposed to the actual book.

+1

it's a beautiful thing when that happens.

I've had many books pressed and I haven't noticed a difference in gloss or colors.

Remember, these books hit high temperatures during the actual printing process.

IMO the only way for a book to fade is if it was pressed improperly.

I think if you left a book in a press long enough for it to fade there would be way more damage to it than fading. Now sunlight is murder on covers.

I think if you left a book in a press long enough for it to fade there would be way more damage to it than fading. Now sunlight is murder on covers.

Agreed on both accounts.

Something else to note is that not all pressers use the same techniques. Heat, pressure, temperature and duration all vary among people who press books.

(shrug)

A perfect example to back Joeys comment is an ASM #28 of mine he recently worked on. He brought the book back to life. It went from gray and dusty looking to a deep glossy black. Granted, I'm sure not all pressers can pull this off, but there are those that have dialed in their process to the point it's repeatable and reliable.

The Mass books were stored in small 'bricks' sealed inside a plastic baggie. They were not dusty nor dirty but clean, clean,clean. I gave a few to a presser which had some simple folds. I don't know if the presser used moisture. I also don't know if he did any dry cleaning. This was a number of years ago. I was not aware of dry cleaning, and it was not a billable option on the paperwork. Anyway, the result was 9.6 grades but, as mentioned, the colors were not as dynamic. Perhaps the plastic of the slab and/or inner well added to the effect. I just remember my first reaction upon seeing them was disappointment.

The Mass books were stored in small 'bricks' sealed inside a plastic baggie. They were not dusty nor dirty but clean, clean,clean. I gave a few to a presser which had some simple folds. I don't know if the presser used moisture. I also don't know if he did any dry cleaning. This was a number of years ago. I was not aware of dry cleaning, and it was not a billable option on the paperwork. Anyway, the result was 9.6 grades but, as mentioned, the colors were not as dynamic. Perhaps the plastic of the slab and/or inner well added to the effect. I just remember my first reaction upon seeing them was disappointment.

And having an experience like that would make me think twice about having a book pressed. A find like that having even the slightest miscue after a pressing would be a huge disappointment. Pressing became a thing during my 20 year collecting retirement so when I started back up it seemed like an inherent part of the submission process.

And having an experience like that would make me think twice about having a book pressed. A find like that having even the slightest miscue after a pressing would be a huge disappointment. Pressing became a thing during my 20 year collecting retirement so when I started back up it seemed like an inherent part of the submission process.

I know it seems like I am anti pressing but I am not, I am just anti 'bad' pressing. I will only comment on pressing based on personal experience, to let folks know there can be adverse side effects. I appreciate your response.

I find books generally look duller in a slab due to the layer of slightly blue tinted plastic.

I find books generally look duller in a slab due to the layer of slightly blue tinted plastic.

The new ones are crystal clear

Absolutely wrong. I've been a printer (and still am) for close to 30 years and the opposite is true. the printing press itself does run at high temperatures but the ink/paper etc. is kept at much much lower temperatures and isn't even exposed to any heat. Even when a heatset web printing press is used the paper is exposed to high temperature for a fraction of a second just to dry the ink.

Absolutely wrong. I've been a printer (and still am) for close to 30 years and the opposite is true. the printing press itself does run at high temperatures but the ink/paper etc. is kept at much much lower temperatures and isn't even exposed to any heat. Even when a heatset web printing press is used the paper is exposed to high temperature for a fraction of a second just to dry the ink.

What temperature is used to dry the ink?