• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poll: BATMAN or DETECTIVE COMICS ((Which is >))

BATMAN vs. TEC  

195 members have voted

1. 1. BATMAN vs. TEC

39 posts in this topic

They've both fluctuated widely in quality, so difficult to say.

[font:Book Antiqua]+ 1, It all depends of what period of time we are talking about...

Most of my favourites writers and artists had work in both books...[/font]

:luhv:

A lot of people love the covers on early 'Tecs, but I don't see it...

Seriously !?

The 69 is cool, but the others? At the risk of being verbally abused, I'm going to say nicely composed, but with mediocre execution. Give me a Win Mortimer cover over any of those.

Most of my favorite Batman related covers are from Detective Comics:

Detective 31

Detective 35

Detective 69

Detective 71

and later

Detective 395

and even later:

Detective Comics 575-578

and more "modern":

Detective 871

Detective 880

Seriously !?

The 69 is cool, but the others? At the risk of being verbally abused, I'm going to say nicely composed, but with mediocre execution. Give me a Win Mortimer cover over any of those.

This is a safe area. You can say whatever you want here :cool: No judging :censored:lol

What I try to do is put my shoes in someone going to a newsstand in 1940 whatever. From that perspective, these covers have always had a big impression on me. Don't necessarily extrapolate the time period with respect to the totality of your personal comic collecting experience and having the hindsight and real time capability of pulling an SA or BA whatever issue. etc.

Do you have many/any older Bat comics?

Most of my favorite Batman related covers are from Detective Comics:

Detective 31

Detective 35

Detective 69

Detective 71

and later

Detective 395

and even later:

Detective Comics 575-578

and more "modern":

Detective 871

Detective 880

Nice list (thumbs u

Seriously !?

:boo:

I voted for Detective. Over the lifetime of the titles, more of the classic runs (in my opinion) can be found in that book.

- The pre-Robin Golden Age roots period

- New Look Infantino artwork was only in every other issue of Detective starting with 327. The Batman of the same period had Infantino covers only, with Moldoff (ghosting for Bob Kane) interiors

- The initial 1970s return to the creature of the night style from Denny O'Neil & Neal Adams, starting with 395

- Archie Goodwin run of Detective 437-443 with the classic Goodwin/Simonson Manhunter backup strip

- Steve Englehart/Marshall Rogers period 469-479

- Alan Davis min-run in 569-574

- Paul Dini's scripting in most issues from 821-850

- Scott Snyder's Black Mirror storyline 871-881

Batman had some highpoints as well, such as a few of the all-Jerry Robinson issues in the Golden Age, the Ras al Ghul 1970s issues, Miller's Year One. Some might add Hush to the list, but I found it kind of meh.