• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poll: BATMAN or DETECTIVE COMICS ((Which is >))

BATMAN vs. TEC  

195 members have voted

1. 1. BATMAN vs. TEC

39 posts in this topic

I voted for Detective. Over the lifetime of the titles, more of the classic runs (in my opinion) can be found in that book.

- The pre-Robin Golden Age roots period

- New Look Infantino artwork was only in every other issue of Detective starting with 327. The Batman of the same period had Infantino covers only, with Moldoff (ghosting for Bob Kane) interiors

- The initial 1970s return to the creature of the night style from Denny O'Neil & Neal Adams, starting with 395

- Archie Goodwin run of Detective 437-443 with the classic Goodwin/Simonson Manhunter backup strip

- Steve Englehart/Marshall Rogers period 469-479

- Alan Davis min-run in 569-574

- Paul Dini's scripting in most issues from 821-850

- Scott Snyder's Black Mirror storyline 871-881

Batman had some highpoints as well, such as a few of the all-Jerry Robinson issues in the Golden Age, the Ras al Ghul 1970s issues, Miller's Year One. Some might add Hush to the list, but I found it kind of meh.

(thumbs u

Do you have many/any older Bat comics?

A handful of Bats before 100, no GA Tecs. I'm a silver age collector in my 30's, buying for fun, not for investment. I started buying GA less than 10 years ago when I realized there was a ton of GA cheaper than the early Fantastic Fours I was missing.

I understand the significance of early Detective Comics, but that has zero effect on my desire to own them, particularly when there are so many people actively seeking them.

:o Zonker sighting!!! I hope all is well, my friend.

Excellent, Chris, thanks for asking. Off work for the week between Christmas & New Years, and staying close to home with the family, so plenty of time to surf Comics General.

My kinda thread... sort of a 2002 vibe to it... :preach:

For me, there’s a lot of crossover by talented creators; Adams and O’Neil in the 70s, Grant and Breyfogle in the late 80s to early 90s and, most recently, Scott Snyder.

My kinda thread... sort of a 2002 vibe to it... :preach:

:applause: What was it like back in those days? Early adopter is an understatement.

Are you one of the "founding" members? Always wondered who the first ten were....

There was a lot more talk of books and characters. We talked about grades and auctions too, but it didn't feel like everything was grade/value oriented.

Not sure who the "first 10" were but, there are still a few of us remaining from the early days.

Bronty / Dan was one of the very first, I believe?

Yes. Absolutely. He may have been the first comic guy on the boards. And certainly the earliest that still posts regularly. After him, I think it would be FF and then me.

Fun question for debate and great to see the impressive exhibits from the Golden Age. I've been enjoying the GA omnibuses lately and lurking around in the Golden threads, so my appreciation for that era has grown tremendously over the last year.

In my mind, though, despite 'Tec being the flagship title for several decades, Batman has been the main book for roughly the last 40 years. I started reading Batman/Tec around the time of Death in the Family in the late 80's and I don't think there's much doubt that Batman was already established as the premier title at that time and remains that way to the current day. Year One, Death in the Family, Hush, Red Hood, Morrison's runs, etc. -- the majority of DC's prime bat-stories either ran exclusively in Bats or the two shared (along with the 17 other Bat-titles) the crazy mega-crossovers (Knightfall, No Man's Land, etc.)

'Tec has had some high points, but I don't think you could legitimately argue that DC intentionally put their best talent on 'Tec since way before Year One. In the mid-2000's Dini had a superb tenure harkening back to the Engelhart/Rogers era of the lateish-70's, but this ran in the shadow of Morrison's stint on Bats, so 'Tec was still second banana. Grant/Breyfogle put forth a really strong body of work on Detective through the late 80's, then got "promoted" to the main title. I think the post-RIP era with Rucka's Batwoman followed by Snyder's run were winners and showed up what was going on in Batman, but I think this was because 'Tec wasn't handcuffed by Morrison's masterplan and had a bit more room to breathe under two excellent writers than the trophy title.

Those better-versed on the Sci-fi and TV eras of the 50's and 60's could fill in my gaps on that period, but it seems to me like there was a passing of the torch between the early Bronze Man-Bat stories in Detective to the Ra's run in Batman when O'Neil/Adams were steering the ship. Englehart/Rogers might've been the last hurrah for Detective as the two titles were really interchangeable through the pre-Crisis 80's and Bats was definitely the launch pad for the new "Modern" era.