• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Nazi Cover
2 2

68 posts in this topic

Death-Bird Squadron(Table of Contents) The Angel / text story / 2 pages (report information) -script:

David C. Cooke (signed)

Pencils:

Charles J. Mazoujian [as C.J.M.] (signed)

Inks:

Charles J. Mazoujian [as C.J.M.] (signed)

Colors:

?

Letters:

typeset

Genre:superheroCharacters:The Angel [Tom Halloway]; the Nazis (villains, some die)Synopsis:The Angel takes matters into his own hands against the Nazis, who without warning attack the Polish town of Grybow.

The above from gcd onnthe text story within mmc2

A bit OT, but it's interesting how early this clearly anti-Japanese cover is -- on the stands more than a year and a half before Pearl Harbor. Although I think the bad guys are not specifically labeled Japanese in the interior story, given that China was a U.S. ally, I think it would have been clear to readers that they were meant to be Japanese.

d0021e36-b88b-4ba9-9dbc-ab5edbfce876_zpsdhg3mshe.jpg

A bit OT, but it's interesting how early this clearly anti-Japanese cover is -- on the stands more than a year and a half before Pearl Harbor. Although I think the bad guys are not specifically labeled Japanese in the interior story, given that China was a U.S. ally, I think it would have been clear to readers that they were meant to be Japanese.

d0021e36-b88b-4ba9-9dbc-ab5edbfce876_zpsdhg3mshe.jpg

Looks pretty close to a quick Google search for WWII Japanese uniform.

802b2c8fd106b0cec1760a5c66c0d57d.jpg

jap_7_small.jpg

I wonder what the first cover that was against a clearly marked japanese military.

Was Pep comic's first anti nazi cover (marked by swastica) really as late as #19 in July 1941? I'm surprised by that. What was that publishers first swastica cover published?

Was Pep comic's first anti nazi cover (marked by swastica) really as late as #19 in July 1941? I'm surprised by that. What was that publishers first swastica cover published?

If you mean MLJ when you say publisher, it would be the Top Notch #2 that has been the subject of much of the debate in this thread.

On 1/1/2017 at 8:49 PM, BB-Gun said:

Thanks DM (and sorry I forgot to mention that the scans I reposted were yours).

By the way, Amazing Man 8 (Dec 1939) is also a WWII cover. Amazing Man is trapped in a Nazi concentration camp in Poland. Arm bands and swastikas can be found in the story. Unfortunately, no symbols on the cover. The stories carry more impact based on real world events than the mythical characters used by MLJ and DC writers.

32000312016_d9bc538c1f_b.jpg

This story was published before Top-Notch 2 which was dated Jan 1940.

Also worth noting is that Feature Funnies #10 (July, 1938) mentioned concentration camps, which is the earliest comic book I’ve seen do so.

19.jpg