• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4 at one time? Why?

40 posts in this topic

Apologies if these auctions have already been discussed, but has anyone noticed that the same seller is auctioning 4 CGC 9.8 copies of Thor 132 at the same time?

They're different copies, at least according to the different serial numbers he's posted. The seller is not a newbie or a scam artist, I've purchased from him before. Anyone know what's up with this strategy?

Apologies if these auctions have already been discussed, but has anyone noticed that the same seller is auctioning 3 CGC 9.8 copies of Thor 132 at the same time?

They're different copies, at least according to the different serial numbers he's posted. The seller is not a newbie or a scam artist, I've purchased from his before. Anyone know what's up with this strategy?

He does it all the time with his books. Who cares...can we all spell C O M M O N?

And 6 CGC 9.6 copies. So the tally so far is 4 9.8s and 6 9.6s. I've never seen anything like this. He does this all the time? It's just bizarre. Why compete with yourself? Even if you know it's a common book in HG, this is the equivalent of being beaten over the head with it. screwy.gif

And 6 CGC 9.6 copies. So the tally so far is 4 9.8s and 6 9.6s. I've never seen anything like this. He does this all the time? It's just bizarre. Why compete with yourself? Even if you know it's a common book in HG, this is the equivalent of being beaten over the head with it. screwy.gif
Maybe he realized that he better cash out on his Chuckie purchases now! Those stupid 9.8s still go for over $200. You expect him to list one copy a week for the next year because from what I've heard, he has multiples (as in a long box) of certain books!

Someone should start a thread compiling a list of books like this (older issues with a large number of HG copies). I have bid on this issue in the past and had no idea it was a warehouse find.

Someone should start a thread compiling a list of books like this (older issues with a large number of HG copies). I have bid on this issue in the past and had no idea it was a warehouse find.

This is why being here with people who have "been there done that" has a been a tremendous boon to my collecting intellectual capital. thumbsup2.gif (that didn't sound too much like Bush, did it?) blush.gif

This is why being here with people who have "been there done that" has a been a tremendous boon to my collecting intellectual capital. thumbsup2.gif (that didn't sound too much like Bush, did it?) blush.gif

Exactly.

I'm happy to start it off. The first five are not "common" in HG in the same way as the MH2 books, but compared to the surrounding issues, there is a disproportionate number of HG copies:

JIM #88

TTA #39

TOS #48

Showcase #38

JLA #21

The next lot are the true warehouse finds (I'm only listing pre-1968 books, because the numbers become really crazy from 1968 on):

ASM #33

Avengers #24

JIM #124

Thor #132

Thor #156

DD #9

FF #48

BTW, I've now found 3 9.4 copies of Thor #132 being auctioned by the same seller (Capt Whiz), plus 2 9.4 copies being auctioned by different sellers. I've never seen anything like this, not all at one time!

FF 48 is unbelievably common. There must be a 3-figure number of copies available at any one time, if anyone were motivated enough to check dealer websites. Thankfully the prices paid for it in low-mid grades seem to be falling, and indeed supposedly it was significantly devalued in the brand new OSPG. That the guide price was ever a four-figure sum is testament to the common sense of dealers not flooding the market with their multiples...though the ebay seller in this thread seems to be ignoring that principle. wink.gif

That said, my copy of FF 48 is only FN- and my Thor 132 VG+! D'oh! 893whatthe.gif

Exactly.

I'm happy to start it off. The first five are not "common" in HG in the same way as the MH2 books, but compared to the surrounding issues, there is a disproportionate number of HG copies:

JIM #88

TTA #39

TOS #48

Showcase #38

JLA #21

The next lot are the true warehouse finds (I'm only listing pre-1968 books, because the numbers become really crazy from 1968 on):

ASM #33

Avengers #24

JIM #124

Thor #132

Thor #156

DD #9

FF #48

BTW, I've now found 3 9.4 copies of Thor #132 being auctioned by the same seller (Capt Whiz), plus 2 9.4 copies being auctioned by different sellers. I've never seen anything like this, not all at one time!

Interesting stuff 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No, because Bush would have used the word boob.

Let's add the Marvel Relaunches of 1968

Iron Man #1, Cap #100, Nick Fury #1, etc.

The first thing I do when looking at a high grade book, is to check the census. Supposedly there was one Mile High II book that had 14,000 copies. 893whatthe.gif

That's not to say every Mile High II book had lots of copies. I've seen plenty of Mile High II books that the census only shows 10-15 9.4/+ copies which is not unusual for the time period.

Veeeeery interesting! I knew that FF 48 was relatively common, but I had no idea that it was a warehouse find.

I remember in the mid '80s, Wooley's Auctions had HG FF 48s all the time, including sets of 10 that they graded NM/NM+. To give you some grade context, the only Wooley's book I've submitted to CGC was bought as a VF+ and came back a 9.4.