• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USPS INSURANCE CLAIM HELP

68 posts in this topic

I have used printouts of GPA data, Overstreet photocopies, and CGC declared value on submission forms as "proof of value" for USPS insurance claims.

Did they work?

CGC declared value is the same as what you the customer put on the form. I don't know if the PO is privy to that but clearly not proof.

On two occasions, I used all three and it "worked". Can't say which or if all in combination did the trick.

609 Filing Indemnity Claims for Loss or Damage

3.2 Proof of Value

a. A sales receipt, paid invoice or bill of sale, or statement of value from a reputable dealer.

It should not be hard to get a "reputable dealer" to estimate the value of the book.

:o Wow - do you know one? :shrug:

lol... There should be one or two on the boards here...... :whistle:

CGC recently sent me a graded 3.5 copy of Tales of Suspense #39 (1st appearance of Iron Man). ComicsPriceGuide.com lists the value around $1920. Recently the comic with equal or lower grades has sold on eBay for closer to $3500. I insured the comic for $2000. It was sent to me by CGC as USPS Registered Mail. It was "delivered" to my front porch, signed for by a USPS mail carrier, and was stolen soon after from the porch. I live in busy Los Angeles, where there is a high crime rate for petty theft, etc. The local Post Office manager admitted that the USPS was at fault, that my mail carrier under no circumstances should sign for something on my behalf and leave a parcel on my front porch, especially something insured for 2K under registered mail. But in order to process an insurance claim the USPS requires "proof of value" for my stolen item. According to the USPS, "the amount claimed must be supported by acceptable proof of value showing completion of payment, such as dated sales receipt, money order, credit card statement, a copy of the front and back of a cancelled check or proof of completed internet payment transaction, indicating the actual amount paid." Seeing as I've owned this collectable comic since a child, and I simply sent it to CGC to get graded, how do I provide an acceptable proof of value to have a successful claim to the USPS? What should I do? Thanks!

Do I have a story for you....

How did it work out in the end for you? I think the last post was you had one more appeal left.

I kept getting the run around from the post office. The station manager was all "yeah well that sucks. I'd refund you myself if that was allowed..." In the meantime the official statements were "Our tracking shows the package was successfully delivered so we are closing this case." Nobody called and I wasn't getting anywhere. I hate to say I lost out over $500+ but at some point it was starting to look like I'm taking it up the @$$ without any recourse.

609 Filing Indemnity Claims for Loss or Damage

3.2 Proof of Value

a. A sales receipt, paid invoice or bill of sale, or statement of value from a reputable dealer.

It should not be hard to get a "reputable dealer" to estimate the value of the book.

:o Wow - do you know one? :shrug:

lol... There should be one or two on the boards here...... :whistle:

I thought all we had were dealers of ill-repute, unable to shake their wares successfully in the real world. :P

CGC recently sent me a graded 3.5 copy of Tales of Suspense #39 (1st appearance of Iron Man). ComicsPriceGuide.com lists the value around $1920. Recently the comic with equal or lower grades has sold on eBay for closer to $3500. I insured the comic for $2000. It was sent to me by CGC as USPS Registered Mail. It was "delivered" to my front porch, signed for by a USPS mail carrier, and was stolen soon after from the porch. I live in busy Los Angeles, where there is a high crime rate for petty theft, etc. The local Post Office manager admitted that the USPS was at fault, that my mail carrier under no circumstances should sign for something on my behalf and leave a parcel on my front porch, especially something insured for 2K under registered mail. But in order to process an insurance claim the USPS requires "proof of value" for my stolen item. According to the USPS, "the amount claimed must be supported by acceptable proof of value showing completion of payment, such as dated sales receipt, money order, credit card statement, a copy of the front and back of a cancelled check or proof of completed internet payment transaction, indicating the actual amount paid." Seeing as I've owned this collectable comic since a child, and I simply sent it to CGC to get graded, how do I provide an acceptable proof of value to have a successful claim to the USPS? What should I do? Thanks!

Do I have a story for you....

How did it work out in the end for you? I think the last post was you had one more appeal left.

I kept getting the run around from the post office. The station manager was all "yeah well that sucks. I'd refund you myself if that was allowed..." In the meantime the official statements were "Our tracking shows the package was successfully delivered so we are closing this case." Nobody called and I wasn't getting anywhere. I hate to say I lost out over $500+ but at some point it was starting to look like I'm taking it up the @$$ without any recourse.

That is a huge bummer. Was really hoping they would make right with you.

On 1/2/2017 at 4:49 PM, kav said:

CGC should maybe have a blurb on the submissions page about using collectibles insurance rather than USPS.

I don't recommend using CIS Collectibles Insurance Services as mailing insurance unless you have a dealers policy.

Did you check with neighbors? I've had deliveries go next door and for reasons unknown my neighbor finally decided to deliver an entire brake rotor two days later?? 

Didn't see this mentioned and I'm not sure if it'd even apply; have you talked to your home owner's insurance? Reason being I don't know if they'd cover any amount since there was no actual break-in. Every state can be a little different.