• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Superman 1

46 posts in this topic

like you,the best i know of is daves 7.5.....i do think that there is a better copy out there that time will prove out based on that there are alot of surviving copies[by golden age standards..of superman #1....yea they have dried up but years past i saw plenty of em[by golden age standards at nyc shows,sandiego,chicago,motor city show,etc etc...i just think out of the 100 to 200 surviving copies out there,there is an 8.5, just a personal opinion...

hi prices like anything else always bring em out of the woodwork,,,just like high price gas will make more producers want to bring there gas to market ...it applies to everything,not just comics...time will tell

Seems to me that prices on these high-tier books have escalated to the point where an owner willing to sell would be selling. If there's an 8.5 or better out there, it's probably in the hands of a collector with no interesting in letting it go.

And do you really imagine that their are companies out there that have been producing oil but not bringing it to market because the price wasn't high enough until now? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i think the price of oil is so high that every producer will want to bring it to market forcing an eventual significant drop in its price,,its always worked that way before,but now with th industrialization of india and china it may be different this time....sorry to get off the subject...

i would agree it is in the hands of a collector who even at high prices dosnt need to let it go..i do believe if its there,thats were it is, good point!

i was asking your opinion,nothing more than that...

i have no inside information..

sorry ActionKid - - - I thought I had stated my opinion that there might be one copy above 8.0 out there, but not a few. And that you were saying that, in your opinion, there were "many", or at least a few more. I would say a high probability of one, and maybe another. okay? but Id be very surprised to see more turn up because top dealers have said that they know od no more copies that they have seen or sold in all this time.

Who knows maybe theres a nice copy sitting quietly inside the pages of a LIFE Magazine!?

sorry ActionKid - - - I thought I had stated my opinion that there might be one copy above 8.0 out there, but not a few. And that you were saying that, in your opinion, there were "many", or at least a few more. I would say a high probability of one, and maybe another. okay? but Id be very surprised to see more turn up because top dealers have said that they know od no more copies that they have seen or sold in all this time.

Who knows maybe theres a nice copy sitting quietly inside the pages of a LIFE Magazine!?

Aman, I don't know what to make of that last comment. Why are you associating Supes 1 and Life Magazine in that fashion? Would you mind enlightening me? Was there cross-marketing or has a copy been found in a Life mag before. Truly interested in learning.

sounds reasonible to me.....i was saying there are many superman 1s[restored ,unrestored many various conditions]..i was not saying that there are many high grade supes #1S....of that i think there are only a few,but i do think that time will prove that 8.0 will not be the top grade on the superman #1....ISNT THE MILE HIGH COPY ONE OF THE SO CALLED SECOND HAND COPIES THAT EDGAR CHURCH HAD WHICH ACCOUNTED FOR ITS LOWER GRADE..

Aman, I don't know what to make of that last comment. Why are you associating Supes 1 and Life Magazine in that fashion? Would you mind enlightening me? Was there cross-marketing or has a copy been found in a Life mag before. Truly interested in learning.

that was an aside to the Action#1 that was foind years ago inside a LIFE magazine. I dont remember any more details than that much. Somebody here must know the whole story. Kinda like the comics version of the Declaration of Independence found inside the frame of a $15 painting bought at a flea market. Strange stuff happens!

sounds reasonible to me.....i was saying there are many superman 1s[restored ,unrestored many various conditions]..i was not saying that there are many high grade supes #1S....of that i think there are only a few,but i do think that time will prove that 8.0 will not be the top grade on the superman #1....ISNT THE MILE HIGH COPY ONE OF THE SO CALLED SECOND HAND COPIES THAT EDGAR CHURCH HAD WHICH ACCOUNTED FOR ITS LOWER GRADE..

no. the Tec 27 was, thats why it has the pencil slashes.

and, yes, I think we are finally on the same page. I agree there are plenty of Superman#1s. But apparently, and surprisingly, VERY few above 7.0 even.

i think he was referring to the size of a life magazine,so large you could hide a coimic safetly inside it..i actually have done this when carrying comics on my person before

or that it was an insert like the Topps 54 series baseball cards were inside Sports Illustrated. Not to my knowledge.

that was an aside to the Action#1 that was foind years ago inside a LIFE magazine. I dont remember any more details than that much. Somebody here must know the whole story. Kinda like the comics version of the Declaration of Independence found inside the frame of a $15 painting bought at a flea market. Strange stuff happens!

Or like this poster being found in a suitcase.