• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What current series are under appreciated?

62 posts in this topic

Jupiter's Legacy is a classic super hero story.

Planetary is just stunning

Old Man Logan is the best Wolverine story I have read.

Planet Hulk never gets the respect it deserves.

Agree

Agree

Not Dead Yet and a few X-men issues would give it a run but it's up there.

Agree

Under rated 'Monstress' by Image, as not published by Marvel or DC (Rebirth), written by a girl (Marjorie M. Liu) and drawn by a lady in Japan (not USA or Canada). Interesting art deco backgrounds and lush computer coloring and intricate illos. (thumbs u

Under rated 'Monstress' by Image, as not published by Marvel or DC (Rebirth), written by a girl (Marjorie M. Liu) and drawn by a lady in Japan (not USA or Canada). Interesting art deco backgrounds and lush computer coloring and intricate illos. (thumbs u

The art is amazing. I never put a lot of thought into why something looks good but I know it when I see it. lol

As much as I absolutely love Monstress by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda (it's one of the two titles I have on CGC 9.8 sub with BeachBum/Dre), I'm not sure it qualifies as under rated. Liu/Takeda had good buzz from their X-23 run which carried over.

Sales for the Volume 1 TPB seem quite strong and issue #8 sold 18+K copies. While its sales may not be on par with Walking Dead, Saga or Brubaker/Phillips, that's pretty good for a creator owned comic.

But yes, the story and artwork are amazing. I have a co-worker who doesn't normally buy comics but was so amazed by the art that he bought my TPB on the spot when he saw me reading it during lunch. He's asked me to buy him a copy of new TPB volumes whenever I buy mine. :)

I read this recently too... I don't know, I feel like we've seen something like this too many times before.

And there were definitely some gruesome images in the beginning, you're right about that - a few of the panels wouldn't have been amiss in an Avatar book.

Yeah, now that you mention it, it did seem more Avatar than Vertigo. I'm in no way suggesting this for any spec value. I bought 1 copy. Just think it might be worth a read. Had a kind of over the top Secret Srvice feel to it. We shall see...

Speaking of something else I read recently, Extremity looks like it might be worthy of some of the hype I've seen. The art is the main drawing point, but it seems reasonably well written too, though as far as the world building goes... too early to tell. 

On 1/8/2017 at 2:21 PM, john72tex said:

Kill or Be Killed, Black Science, Black Hammer...

Black Science is still good? I gave up around around issue 8 or 9.

Edit: Also, how has Hillybilly reading? I've been waiting for a few issue to build up before diving in.

Edited by Chadwick

10 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

Letter #44. 

About 5 of us are reading it and it's still great.

Patrick

I plan to pick this back up in trade. I greatly scaled back my pull list around eight months ago, but haven't really 'stopped' reading any of the books I stopped pulling.

Kill or Be Killed

The Wild Storm (ok fine, so it's only 1 issue so far, but it was amazing & I trust Warren Ellis)

Surprisingly enjoying Uncanny Avengers. It seems to be the long-form X-men story that's been missing since Remender left Uncanny X-Force.

Redline #1 from Oni was a very good 1st issue. Now I'm not suggesting that you should rush out and buy more than one but if you like to read the the occasional non superheroey type book, you might like this story. It isn't overly original but it looks fun.  Oni puts out Letter 44, which is liked by more than a few of us on these boards. They also put out Helheim a few years back which featured some extremely cool Joelle Jones artwork.